Own ice skates

We are going on the AOS in Aug this year does anyone know if my daughter will be able to use her own ice skates on the ice skating rink.

Yes she can. Many ships have times set aside for people who bring their own skates. They call them advanced skates. The rinks can get busy during normal skating times especially after the ice shows start playing. You must wear long pants and the ship will supply a helmet which is mandatory. Figure skating moves such as spins and jumps are not allowed, it is merely a pleasure skate. I always take my skates when we sail on a ship with a rink. Beats going to the gym.

As an aside, the airlines do not allow skates in a carry on. Must go in checked luggage.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

If you don't mind I have a question too....I'll be on explorer in May and have my own skates but my young daughter does not, can she go with me to the private skate and use ship skates? We will be in a GS if that makes any difference.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you don't mind I have a question too....I'll be on explorer in May and have my own skates but my young daughter does not, can she go with me to the private skate and use ship skates? We will be in a GS if that makes any difference.

Might be easier to go with your daughter to the open skate.

We are going on the AOS in Aug this year does anyone know if my daughter will be able to use her own ice skates on the ice skating rink.

They will make her wear a helmet which they supply. My daughter who is a figure skater brought her skates to practice and was dismayed by that rule! I understand they have to protect themselves, but she wasn't used to wearing a helmet since learn to skate.

Yes she can. Many ships have times set aside for people who bring their own skates. They call them advanced skates. The rinks can get busy during normal skating times especially after the ice shows start playing. You must wear long pants and the ship will supply a helmet which is mandatory. Figure skating moves such as spins and jumps are not allowed, it is merely a pleasure skate. I always take my skates when we sail on a ship with a rink. Beats going to the gym.

As an aside, the airlines do not allow skates in a carry on. Must go in checked luggage.

They actually let my daughter do spins and jumps during the advanced skate, maybe because she was the only one there. She found it harder to do them because the ice is softer and not the best quality. She stuck with single jumps because she was afraid of getting hurt.

The helmet rule was only instituted a few years ago and probably is a liability issue. The ship is moving when you skate and sometimes the ice is not where you expect it to be. I have seen some nasty falls on the ice and on the Allure one person did a backwards fall, split their head open and knocked themselves out. It was on our next cruise 6 months later that helmets were mandatory.

The helmet rule was only instituted a few years ago and probably is a liability issue. The ship is moving when you skate and sometimes the ice is not where you expect it to be. I have seen some nasty falls on the ice and on the Allure one person did a backwards fall, split their head open and knocked themselves out. It was on our next cruise 6 months later that helmets were mandatory.

I agree with having that rule on the ship, it's for the passengers protection. My daughter was just not happy, but oh well, no helmet, no skate. I wish she could wear one every time she skates! Nothing worse than seeing your child take a scary, nasty fall.

This is not true. My girls skate competitively and we fly with our ice skates in our carry on's all the time. No figure skater wants to arrive to a comp with skates lost in luggage. Skates can go as carry ons....just did it this weekend.

It depends where you are flying from. I have two figure skaters and in the states we always carry on but for international flights we can carry on leaving the states but European countries do not allow skates as carry on so we have to check them coming back.

Does everyone, including adults, have to wear a helmet?