How do you choose a room?

SmittyCo

First criteria is Balcony. I'm a balconyaholic - I can spend all day out there with a good book! Actually I could spend multiple days out there with a couple of good books! Just love the peacefulness, it can almost feel like you are out on your own private yacht ---- ok, maybe that is only in my mind! :D

I used to prefer to be just below Lido, near the elevators and steps.

But our last cruise was on a Dream Class ship and we've another booked in October. Last October on Breeze I had booked an ES on Lido for the first time and took an upgrade from Lido to Panorama instead of OBC during one of the price drops, sort of on a whim.

We have fallen in love with Panorama and we like to be just outside of the glass elevators. We don't feel that it is ever loud and people don't utilize the glass elevators as frequently as you might imagine! Twenty five people will stand in front of the other elevators, but people forget to check the glass ones! :D

The stroll out the glass doors overlooking the lido deck is great! DH said it made him feel like royalty! So we're booked on Dream, in almost the same cabin as we had on the Breeze - and we'd have booked exactly the same one if we weren't taking a couple extra people with us this time!

Sounds great! I'm going to try this next! Love my balcony!

On other cruise lines the best cabins for us are the suites because of the perks. On Carnival the only suite perk is priority embarkation and debarkation, which we get anyway due to the past guest program.

I am not about to pay as much or more for a Carnival Suite without getting the suite perks like we get on RCCL or Princess. And yes, we have sailed in a Grand Suite many times on RCCL for hundreds cheaper per person than an OS on Carnival. And we have sailed in an S3 Penthouse Suite that had a 240 sq ft balcony on Princess for less than a GS with an 85 sq ft balcony on Carnival. The good news is neither Princess nor RCCL permit smoking in the cabins or on the balconies.

On Carnival for us the best cabin is a Cloud 9 spa balcony. That way we know that we won't be bothered by smokers and will get to use our balcony as much as we want. We prefer the Deck 12 Cloud 9 spa cabins in the middle of that forward section. Favorite cabins are 12014, 12015 or 12016 on the Dream class.

My mom and dad love big balconies and the great aft view and go for an aft wrap balcony is available.

My brother and his girlfriend aren't in the cabin much, so go for a relatively inexpensive inside close to my parents so that they can use their balcony.

We like to have a balcony, so always get that and I like to go mid ship for less motion. I usually book on a floor between two floors of cabins to avoid unexpected noise.

I did a bigger aft balcony next to my parent's wrap balcony one time opening up the extenders. My godparents were on the other side of my parents too. That was nice, BUT the motion bothered me, so I do mid ship. It really makes a difference to me, so I go mid ship now, even though we are farther away from everyone else.

I was on the Panorama deck this last cruise and never again. The noise of scraping chairs and whatnot was too much. I don't watch tv or have a sound machine or anything to blunt the noise and I can't sleep with earplugs in. I was under a section with no carpeting. When someone dragged two tables together one morning paint specks actually fell from the balcony roof into my coffee. By the 3rd day I was pleading with Guest Services to let me change cabins. They eventually did, (and I was so grateful) but I went from an extended balcony to the regular balcony that had been available for $150 less when I booked. :-( So I basically wasted $150. That was an expensive lesson. I had to move though....I wasn't able to enjoy the balcony so what good did it do me?