Labadee, Haiti: Definitive Port Tour

DEIx15x8

In May I created a graphics packaged and posted a

that has become popular. Since we returned to the Grandeur of the Seas this January there was no reason to do it again, so instead I decided to do tours of Royal Caribbean's ports. This video covers the entire peninsula that makes up Royal Caribbean's private destination of Labadee. It includes a nice "Where am I" map to help keep track of your location as you move throughout the resort. I filmed it on January 18th, 2014 while onboard the Grandeur of the Seas and in port with the Explorer of the Seas for about 6,000 total passengers. Hope everyone enjoys it and finds it helpful. As always please feel free to share the video link:

I've also got a video of our arrival/departure from the port along with a horn battle between the Grandeur and Explorer:

As well as hundreds of photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/115365916503583655211/albums/5973150442921797041

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

DSC02847.JPG

In May I created a graphics packaged and posted a
that has become popular. Since we returned to the Grandeur of the Seas this January there was no reason to do it again, so instead I decided to do tours of Royal Caribbean's ports. This video covers the entire peninsula that makes up Royal Caribbean's private destination of Labadee. It includes a nice "Where am I" map to help keep track of your location as you move throughout the resort. I filmed it on January 18th, 2014 while onboard the Grandeur of the Seas and in port with the Explorer of the Seas for about 6,000 total passengers. Hope everyone enjoys it and finds it helpful. As always please feel free to share the video link:

I've also got a video of our arrival/departure from the port along with a horn battle between the Grandeur and Explorer:

As well as hundreds of photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/115365916503583655211/albums/5973150442921797041

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

DSC02847.JPG

I have not been to Labadee for many years, going with friends and 27 yr old son, I recently had foot and ankle reconstruction so I cannot do long walking but remember some of the areas to get into the water were very rocky. Where would be a good area and how do we get there? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

I have not been to Labadee for many years, going with friends and 27 yr old son, I recently had foot and ankle reconstruction so I cannot do long walking but remember some of the areas to get into the water were very rocky. Where would be a good area and how do we get there? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

The beaches on the opposite side of the peninsula from the ship have waves and are a bit rocky. Accessing any beach on the ship side is a bit of a walk though. The first beach is suite access only so your left with Nellie's Beach which typically gets packed since it's the first one, and Columbus Cove which is all the way at the end. I would recomend Columbus Cove though. When your getting off of the ship they have some crew members with wheelchairs that can assists getting down the pier if needed. Once at the end of the pier it is a short walk to the main hub where you access the island and you can pick up the tram there. That will take you all the way to the entrance of the peninsula, through the market area, and end right at Columbus Cove. That beach is all sand with palm trees. Their is some seaweed on the sea floor in areas but that's at nearly all the beach areas. Columbus Cove also has it's own food pavilions right behind the beach so you won't have to go far for lunch either.

Thanks so much for your video. It really answered lots of questions which we had prior to watching it. And thanks for the info about the wheelchairs from the gangway to the head of the pier. My husband has a difficult time walking long distances and this informatin was just what I was looking for.

This is great - I have to comment it seemed a little crowded at Columbus Cove - but you did say there were two ships in port. I liked the looks of Adreninline beach but it seemed those cabana things (lol) obstructed the view. Anyway looking forward to Labadee in May :)

• 2 weeks later...

DEIx15x8,

Thanks for sharing this video and information. Have never been to Labadee, and will be making our first visit in July. Question for you. I'm thinking we set down at Columbus Cove. We are planning the water park and rollercoaster package, combined takes an hour and a half. We'd also like to relax on the beach and enjoy the water. Do you think we will also have time to try out the water slide, or will that be cramming too much in? And where is the water slide? I have not seen it on any map so far.

Thanks!

The entrance to the water slide is located on the left side of Colombus Cove by the purple #41 stand (where they sell the tickets if needed on that day). It is up a stair case and you end up right at the end of that red path on the left of Colombus Cove.

labadeelinkmap2.jpg

The water park I believe is a set time slot that you have too enjoy it. The roller coaster and water slide are more of an at your leisure item (and if the unlimited rides excursion is offered on your sailing as much as you'd like). So you can do them when your near by. With the exception of the roller coaster all of the items are at Colombus Cove so it shouldn't be a problem to get to them all. How much time you have left for the beach is hard to say though. It is easily possible and I wouldn't worry about being too busy, but lines can vary things. When we went their were zero lines for any of the attractions even with 2 ships so you could easily do the water slide, walk to do the roller coaster, and be back in less than 30 minutes total. If their are lines that will obviously slow that down but I still wouldn't imagine it being too much longer. Going in summer I would expect a younger crowd that could create lines but depending on the ship and length it may still be empty.

So I would not hesitate to try and do all three, especially if it's something you really want to do. Watch your excursion listings though and see if their are any unlimited ride passes available. They are often a sign that they expect it to be empty and a great deal. If they don't show up at all though, don't worry I've heard recently that they may only be offering them in the morning at the Excursion desk on Labadee. Their is no deal for booking early for the water slide and roller coaster (water park can sell out) so you could wait till the day you arrive and book then.

Thank you for this video! Here's my question: on Adrenaline Beach there were some kind of canopy type things?? I don't even know how to properly describe them. They're not cabanas... They were open with white flowing drapes. I only saw them on that beach. What can you tell me about those? What are they called? Also, I'm guessing they have to be rented? So, do you know how much and how I rent them, and what it includes? Lol. That seems like a lot! Thanks for everything! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by EMcCruiser

Is it possible to walk from the ship to Columbus Cove?

If so, what is the distance or time you would expect it to take (for an average able bodied adult walker)?

Is a tram necessary?

Does the tram cost anything?

Are the trams frequent enough or are their long wait lines and times for the tram?

Thank you for this video! Here's my question: on Adrenaline Beach there were some kind of canopy type things?? I don't even know how to properly describe them. They're not cabanas... They were open with white flowing drapes. I only saw them on that beach. What can you tell me about those? What are they called? Also, I'm guessing they have to be rented? So, do you know how much and how I rent them, and what it includes? Lol. That seems like a lot! Thanks for everything! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't know the specifics for sure. But I've heard that they are $225 and cannot be reserved prior to boarding (could change, I believe they are very new and may just not be in the system yet). They include the water cooler just like the others but no food or wait staff.

Edited by DEIx15x8

Is it possible to walk from the ship to Columbus Cove?

If so, what is the distance or time you would expect it to take (for an average able bodied adult walker)?

Is a tram necessary?

Does the tram cost anything?

Are the trams frequent enough or are their long wait lines and times for the tram?

You can easily walk it. I did it several times during our day there. It took me about 15-20 minutes to make the walk. With my mom who has some trouble walking it took us about 30-40 minutes. The tram is free and takes about 5 minutes. I found the walk to be very enjoyable and could take in the whole island. The tram was a nice ride when I just wanted to get from one end to the other in a hurry. It gave a quick over view but was too fast to take anything in.

The tram had a wait when the ship first arrived but surprisingly not when we were leaving. During that time it was impossible to get on at any point but the pier. Beyond that initial rush it was fairly empty and easy to get a ride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to walk from the ship to Columbus Cove? Absolutely! The walk back to the ship on a hot day, however, can be a killer, though.

If so, what is the distance or time you would expect it to take (for an average able bodied adult walker)? It might take 15-20 minutes.

Is a tram necessary? Not necessary, but I wouldn't turn it down.

Does the tram cost anything? Free ride!

Are the trams frequent enough or are their long wait lines and times for the tram? Twice I waited for trams, but became impatient and decided to walk. Of course about half way back the tram passed us.