Define "traveling together" as it relates to Divina drink packages?

CruiserTB

I want to book the Premium drink package for my cabin for my August cruise, however when I went to book online I saw a note that says everyone in the cabin as well as everyone traveling together must book the package. My issue is that I've already booked 3 cabins for family & friends on this cruise and I've invited more people who would potentially be booking the cruise as well. We all tend to do our own thing on vacation but the one time we do make a point of coming together is for dinner. Does this traveling together rule mean that I can't buy the premium package unless everyone else does or alternatively I won't be able to sit with everyone else? This seems a little unfair and while I can understand making everyone in the same cabin buy the package as this is how it's ordinarily done on cruise ships, using the broad term of "traveling together" seems extreme.

Can anyone who has sailed on Divina with the drink package provide any insight? Thanks.

I want to book the Premium drink package for my cabin for my August cruise, however when I went to book online I saw a note that says everyone in the cabin as well as everyone traveling together must book the package. My issue is that I've already booked 3 cabins for family & friends on this cruise and I've invited more people who would potentially be booking the cruise as well. We all tend to do our own thing on vacation but the one time we do make a point of coming together is for dinner. Does this traveling together rule mean that I can't buy the premium package unless everyone else does or alternatively I won't be able to sit with everyone else? This seems a little unfair and while I can understand making everyone in the same cabin buy the package as this is how it's ordinarily done on cruise ships, using the broad term of "traveling together" seems extreme.

Can anyone who has sailed on Divina with the drink package provide any insight? Thanks.

The official definition is

The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors, who must book the Child version of the package

Here is a scan of the wording in the UK MSC brochure (Note that in Europe child is defined as under 18 whereas in the USA a child is defined as under 12)

a3d4a1f6-3bb2-492d-9355-e8c0489c7a91.jpg

So basically your reasoning is correct either everybody at your table buys it or nobody buys it. So you may be out on a limb or sat at a table by yourself. When you first order drinks in the MDR the waiters ask everybody for their cards to check that the rule is adhered to. After that one card per cabin suffices

Hope this gives you a clear insight now

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Well that's annoying but I have heard conflicting reports of how strictly it's been adhered to. Can anyone who has sailed on Divina shed any light?

The head waiter has a list of people who are travelling together and sitting on the same table. Obviously if you are just seated with other guests there may be people with the package as well as people without on the same table , but the waiters are told.

This is where some of the conflicting reports may arise in that it appears that the rule is not being adhered to, whereas in actual fact the rule is not applicable.

There may be someone out there who knows how to bend the rules; but the two times I've had the package, on Opera and Sinfonia last year, the checks were made. I didn't have the package when I sailed on Divina as I was in the YC where drinks are complimentary.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

The head waiter has a list of people who are travelling together and sitting on the same table. Obviously if you are just seated with other guests there may be people with the package as well as people without on the same table , but the waiters are told.

This is where some of the conflicting reports may arise in that it appears that the rule is not being adhered to, whereas in actual fact the rule is not applicable.

There may be someone out there who knows how to bend the rules; but the two times I've had the package, on Opera and Sinfonia last year, the checks were made. I didn't have the package when I sailed on Divina as I was in the YC where drinks are complimentary.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I actually downgraded out of the YC family executive suite just because we invited some first time cruisers on this trip and we wanted to be able to have dinner with them along with the rest of the family. My consolation was that I'd order the premium drink option which makes this particularly distressing if in fact I can't even order it and still sit with them! I might as well have stayed in YC which of course the room is no longer available. :mad::mad::mad::mad: I'm still hoping there's some leeway though as it seems at least a couple of times MSC has responded to a member's inquiry regarding this policy for them to email with their specific circumstance to see what can be worked out.

Thanks Pete, I actually downgraded out of the YC family executive suite just because we invited some first time cruisers on this trip and we wanted to be able to have dinner with them along with the rest of the family. My consolation was that I'd order the premium drink option which makes this particularly distressing if in fact I can't even order it and still sit with them! I might as well have stayed in YC which of course the room is no longer available. :mad::mad::mad::mad: I'm still hoping there's some leeway though as it seems at least a couple of times MSC has responded to a member's inquiry regarding this policy for them to email with their specific circumstance to see what can be worked out.

It's a shame you had to downgrade from the YC. If the matter arises again you could always have a cabin in the YC and ask to be put in the MDR and not Le Muse. You would have to get a bottle of wine in your cabin and take it to dinner with you. or a word to the maitre D' and they might arrange for the sommelier to bring one to you in the MDR with the proviso that the waiters top up your glass and yours alone.

Just a thought as to one way to get a solution to your problem.

Pete

Pete

Edited by Skier52

It's a shame you had to downgrade from the YC. If the matter arises again you could always have a cabin in the YC and ask to be put in the MDR and not Le Muse. You would have to get a bottle of wine in your cabin and take it to dinner with you. or a word to the maitre D' and they might arrange for the sommelier to bring one to you in the MDR with the proviso that the waiters top up your glass and yours alone.

Just a thought as to one way to get a solution to your problem.

Pete

Pete

I had originally planned on doing that but I read from another member that while in theory it was possible in reality it was unlikely to occur. They said when they attempted to move, they discovered there was no space for them in the MDR and thus they were only able to have dinner with the other party 1 time. I figure since I'm going during the summer which is peak travel time for families, they ship is going to be packed making it even more unlikely that I will be able to get switched.

You could try not booking it until you get onboard. You'll incur the 15% service charge but they may not pick up on you being seated with other friends and family also booked. Try buying it at a bar rather than a restaurant. Worth a try if you can't find a way to get booked before you go.