New to cruising on Norwegian- questions about dining

I am trying my best to research instead of posting but there are some things I can't find. I was hoping for some help.

First, have there been any updated menus for the main dining room? It seems like the "newest" ones I can find are from 2009. We are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and since we just booked yesterday I am scrambling to find certain things.

Also, I am considering buying the Ultimate Dining package. From what I understand I can book the reservations online ahead of time. The problem is I was thinking of buying it for my husband and myself and just paying at the time for my kids. They are 10 & 12 and more than likely will order off the specialty menus instead of the kids menus. From my research it seems like they should be charged half price at each place (although there were quite a few difference of opinions on that based on my research). So my question is, can I book a table for 4 with only 2 dining packages?

Any other advice that I may need to know going from cruising on Carnival to Norwegian that you think would be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

I know they are rolling out new menus, but don't know when (if) they hit the Pearl. When considering the UDP it helps to write down the specialty restaurants you think you'll want to visit, then add up the cost. Here's the prices for the Pearl: Cagney's $30/15 (Adult/Child), Teppanyaki: $25/12.50, Moderno & Le Bistro $20/10, La Cucina & Lotus Garden: $15/7.50. See if the UDP represents a savings vs your plans.

Everyones tastes in cruiselines is different, but I've always felt NCL seemed more of a class act compared to Carnival. The boarding seems less like a cattle call, with nice touches like a welcome glass of sparkling wine (do they still do that?), and the ships a little nicer.

Thank you for all the responses!! I really appreciate it!

Miataman- Thanks for the website, it looks very helpful.

SoCA6ft5- That is a great idea. I will think about it and decide if it is worth it.

Alliezona & LrgPizza- Thanks for the help!

One more question. For the speciality menu how does ordering work? Do you order one appetizer, one main, and one dessert? Can you order more if you want? I know on Carnival we have been allowed to order 2 appetizers or desserts if we wanted (just not 2 main courses).

Thanks again!

Edited by Mom2CrazyKids

Thank you for all the responses!! I really appreciate it!

Miataman- Thanks for the website, it looks very helpful.

SoCA6ft5- That is a great idea. I will think about it and decide if it is worth it.

Alliezona & LrgPizza- Thanks for the help!

I think you'll have a great time. Some of the things you'll find different are:

-Making reservations for dinner, or if you're spontaneous, checking the video boards to see how busy each dining venue is.

-Keep in mind if you make dining reservations online you do need to pay in advance too.

-Not having to pack formal wear unless you want to.

I think you'll have a great time. Some of the things you'll find different are:

-Making reservations for dinner, or if you're spontaneous, checking the video boards to see how busy each dining venue is.

-Keep in mind if you make dining reservations online you do need to pay in advance too.

-Not having to pack formal wear unless you want to.

There are no formal nights?? I thought I read there was one but I am on overload so maybe I am wrong! :)

There are no formal nights?? I thought I read there was one but I am on overload so maybe I am wrong! :)

No formal nights. But some like to dress up for some occasions (others don't).

Edited by SoCA6ft5

One more question. For the speciality menu how does ordering work? Do you order one appetizer, one main, and one dessert? Can you order more if you want? I know on Carnival we have been allowed to order 2 appetizers or desserts if we wanted (just not 2 main courses).

Thanks again!

We usually order two appetizers each and three desserts to split. That is more than enough to fill you up with the main course.