Carlos Bakery Birthday cake vs Birthday decorations and cake

elliemaej

My daughter will be celebrating her 21st bday on our upcoming Breakaway cruise. I am torn between the cabin decorations and cake and a cake from Carlos.

What options do they have for bday cakes? She is partial to carrot cake.

In 2012 we took a cruise that included my husband's birthday. I did not book the birthday package but they did give us a complimentary piece of cake that was cut from a sheet. It did say Happy Birthday and it tasted good. It was white cake with white icing.

I believe if you order the package I have seen they are round whole cakes. I just googled NCL birthday packages in the image section and that will give you an idea of what it looks like. I do not know if you can specify type of cake though.

edit to add we were Gold members on that cruise so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by orangegrove

Facing a similar situation in October on the Epic. Called PCC and they said they can only pre-book a white cake. So I decided would wait until I get onboard to talk with concierge to see what can be done.

Can you not decorate the room yourself and get the Carlos cake.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure if for you, but I would buy decorations at home at a party or dollar store, then tip the cabin steward to put up. Plus ask steward/concierge if any restaurant makes carrot cake. If from a complementary venue should be free; otherwise purchase from Carlos or a specialty restaurant, if available.

PS: Love watching The Celts

Thanks All....

Good idea about bringing the decorations on. She is in her own cabin next door but most likely we will have the same steward. Since her birthday falls on Nassau day, they would have plenty of time to decorate.

We are going to a specialty restaurant for a later dinner that night. If we get the Carlos cake, would they serve it for us in the restaurant?

Having travelled to Hoboken to specifically go to Carlos Bakery I would recommend getting the Carlos cake. If they are the exact same as the ones you get at the bakery they are the most delicious cakes that you will ever taste IMHO! We have done the birthday package with NCL and the cake was very nice and I was happy with the package but nothing beats a Carlos cake!

I agree with the previous poster. The Carlos cake was delicious!! I had one for my bday on the Breakaway. I also had the bday decorations. My parents had ordered them before my cruise as a surprise. They were up in my cabin when I boarded. It was a nice surprise. I kept the decorations up the whole week and I took them home with me. Since its a milestone bday for your daughter I say do the decorations and the Carlos cake. Make it as special as you can for her. You only turn 21 once :D

Since Carlo's is going fleetwide maybe Norwegian should start offering a Carlo's birthday package. For big fans they could have a deluxe package with a Carlo's mug or t-shirt in addition to the cake and decorations.

The Carlos cakes are very good. We got one for a special occasion on breakaway. We ordered online in advance, and were glad we did, because when we went to check on our order, a couple were in there furious because they wanted a special cake made for a day toward the end of the cruise, and this was like the second day, and they were politely but firmly being told that custom cakes were only available by advance order; that they could not custom order during the cruise; and that they would have to select from the cakes that were made etc. They complainers were behaving badly, and were rude and obnoxious, but I do not think it impacted they response they got. Also, FYI, if you havent looked them up yet, the Carlos cakes are very very expensive. I think the one we got was 70 or 80 dollars.

Terry

Couldn't find a specific online order form for Carlo's. There is a generic pre-order form at:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/GiftsAndMore_Order_Form_07092013.pdf

Last year, someone posted that an online pre-order form specific to Carlo was available, but was removed.

So probably need to call a PCC.

After reading others' reviews of Carlo's, I think I would try to get a standard birthday cake and hopefully a decorated carrot cake on board, if possible. But taste is very personal.

Had a chance to try one of Carlo's pastries at the Discovery Channel building in Manhattan. Was not memorable other than to say I ate at Carlo's.

Good luck and enjoy....

Edited by MRBOOKEND