Freedom/ FT Lauderdale - help wanted

hlb76

We are planning Freedom cruise in Oct. I have never sailed out of Port Everglades nor have I been to Ft Lauderdale.

I'm assuming like most cruisers you can get there early even if the email says 130. I'm also looking for a safe time to book flights home. Anything I need to worry about like Fog/bridges etc? Looks to me like the airport is close to the cruise port but I'm not sure if traffic can be a issue.

Any help I can get on this new adventure would be great.

Thanks in advance

We just got back from this cruise Monday. It was an amazing cruise!! I am so jealous! We flew in the day before the cruise, stayed at Bahia Mar hotel, it was very nice. The cab service at the airport is kind of scary, we stood in a HUGE line so my recommendation is if you plan on staying the night before use a hotel that has a shuttle. VERY short ride from the airport to the cruise ship! We got on the ship by 11:30, they say 1p.m. but I think they start loading at 10:30. They have the process down pat, very easy getting on and off, but I would definitely tell you to follow our lead and go before noon, it looked crazy busy around 1:30!! Good luck!! and HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Getting to and from the airport is easy. There are few weather delays in or out of Ft. Lauderdale. The delays are usually caused by other locations. The only problem you may run into if you book an early flight home is the number of people at the airport who just got off the 2-5 ships in port.

1240 pm is the latest flight out post cruise via Southwest. I think the 940 would not be an option nor do I want to feel so rushed. But 1240 might be doable. We have left about that time post cruise other ports. I just get nervous when going someplace new. I also dont think Oct is known for large Fog delays like the winter months in places like Tampa. I'm also a realist and know anything COULD happen at anytime.

We have done the Freedom twice. Both times we were in zone 1 to disembark. The taxi ride to the airport is really quick. 15 mintues or so. Fort lauderdale's airport is fairly small. You will have plenty of time if you fly at 12:40. Not many options to eat at in the FLL airport. Eat a good breakfast before you leave the ship.

Thanks.. FTTF is already purchased. So I'm good there. I just need to drag my but out of bed and get going, not that you can sleep through the announcements. Thanks for the tib bit on breakfast too!