Volendam/Alaska Floatplane questions

to the sea

Does anyone know the specific companies that Volendam has their floatplane shore excursions booked through in Juneau (Taku Lodge Floatplane & Feast) & Ketchikan (Misty Fjiords)????

I asked Holland America but they would not divulge info due to privacy reasons. I wish to research these companies to get as much info as possible (anticipation is 1/2 of the fun!). These boards have great info on companies & specific guides, but I don't know which we'll be on, so they are just "general info" to me at the moment. I would love to know specificially which companies?

Anyone who has recently been on either of these floatplane trips, booked through Holland America, please respond.

Thanks!

Just found it - Promech Air is what we were on. We flew in the DeHavilland Turbine Otter - seats about ten folks. (I got to fly right seat by the pilot, which was a blast, but all seats were fine.)

When we did the Misty Fjords boat/plane tour one of the things I noticed was the variety of plane operators (based on names on the planes). It looked to me like the tour operators contracted with independent charter outfits depending on the expected load that day (light load and no charter today? OK then haul that replacement pump over to Edna Bay).

The float plane "landing strip" just out from the line of ships was very busy - like a wet O'Hare. Right behind every landing was a flock of black & white seagulls (aka eagles ;) ) snatching up stunned fish.

Alaska is float plane heaven. If you decide to take it, it's a trip you will not soon forget. We, like Bebopper, have also flown on the Twin Otter from Promech Air and it was a great flight. They used to (don't know if they still do) fly that same aircraft in the off-season cross-country and down to St. Thomas where they flew sightseeing trips in the winter months. Also flew on a DHC Beaver once in Alaska that belonged to Ketchikan Air, got to land on a super serene lake and enjoy the peacefull quietness by standing outside on the floats. It's really a great experience if you've never done it before and I can highly recommend it.

Archived