Purchasing wine at Ports and bringing on

La and Vic

When we were on the Magic last, we were able to bring a bottle of wine and champagne aboard that we purchased in Key West. THey allowed us to keep it with us and take to our cabin. Is this allowed or did we just get lucky?

When we were on the Magic last, we were able to bring a bottle of wine and champagne aboard that we purchased in Key West. THey allowed us to keep it with us and take to our cabin. Is this allowed or did we just get lucky?

Yes, you were definitely lucky.

I'm not advocating for anyone to try and attempt this, but if you board when it's a really BUSY time with lots of passengers, the security scanner crew will tell you to take your wine or other bottle of alcohol over to a table. At the table, they will log in your information so you can receive it the last day/eve of the cruise.

IF, and only if there is a large crowd waiting at the table, and the crew is busy with others and does not take notice, just simply place the bottle back in your bag and high-tail-it into the elevator or stairway.

Just be discreet.

I'm also going to go with lucky, although on our European cruise, we each brought a bottle back every stop, made no attempt to hide it and were allowed to keep it. I thought at the time we were allowed which is why we did it (and didn't try to hide it), I don't know if it was a different policy or they just let us.

I'm not advocating for anyone to try and attempt this, but if you board when it's a really BUSY time with lots of passengers, the security scanner crew will tell you to take your wine or other bottle of alcohol over to a table. At the table, they will log in your information so you can receive it the last day/eve of the cruise.

IF, and only if there is a large crowd waiting at the table, and the crew is busy with others and does not take notice, just simply place the bottle back in your bag and high-tail-it into the elevator or stairway.

Just be discreet.

In San Juan I bought a good bottle of rum at duty free that I planned to keep for myself to have after I have my baby. My husband carried it through security in the duty free bag, put it through the scanner, picked it and his stuff up on the other side and continued on. We didn't even realize until getting off the elevator we still had it. Again, I had no intention of opening it for a number of months (it is home now still unopened). I just assumed someone would take it or say something and didn't think twice.

Of course, the next port there was a guy on the elevator complaining that on his last cruise he got booze on every stop and this time it got taken away.

We bought two large bottles of vanilla at one of our ports. When passing through security the guy running the x-ray told me that I had to check my liquor in at the desk. I told him it was vanilla and he said "OK". Afterwards, I thought to myself that it could have been liquor and he didn't even check it to make sure.

If they find the bottles of wine when your bag is x-rayed and they tell you to take it to the table, somehow you get short term memory loss and forget what they said and simply walk past the table and into the elevator..:)

If they find the bottles of wine when your bag is x-rayed and they tell you to take it to the table, somehow you get short term memory loss and forget what they said and simply walk past the table and into the elevator..:)

Exactly what always happens to us. Can't help it, we are getting old:D