NOLA parades and food...

kenandteri

We will be in NOLA from about 4 pm on Saturday, 3/29 till we head to the port around 10:30 am on 3/30. We are staying at the Sheraton Four Points in metarie...

Two questions... we have several in our party who have never been to NOLA before and I'm hoping we might get to see a parade Saturday late afternoon/early evening. We want to be away from the French Quarter before all the craziness starts, especially since I have two teenage girls with us. Anyone know where I can find a published parade schedule?

Secondly, for any NOLA natives...we are looking for a great, fairly inexpensive restaurant that isn't touristy. Especially interested in good New Orleans/Cajun food - my DD wants to have real gumbo...any suggestions?

I don't think there are any parades on March 29 or 30th. The only parades at the end of March and beginning of April would be the Irish/Italian parades, which are held in different parishes around this time. The one in Metairie is the March 15th.

Local online magazines with local events would be:

Gambit - http://www.bestofneworleans.com/

Country Roads (all of Louisiana events, not just New Orleans) - http://www.countryroadsmagazine.com/

For restaurants with gumbo, one that comes to mind is Bozo's, which is in Metairie, not touristy with gumbo and other seafood dishes. - http://www.bozosrestaurant.com/

Here's listings of Parades in the area with date:

Saturday, March 15 & Monday, March 17, 2014

Tracey's St. Paddy's Day Party - 11 a.m. til

Annual celebration in the Irish Channel - 2604 Magazine Street. Lots of green beer, corned beef and cabbage and more fun. They are the party at the end of the Irish Channel Parade.

See party location.

Sautrday, March 15 & Monday, March 17, 2014

Parasol's Block Party Celebration - 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.

3rd and Constance 10am to 8pm. Music, green beer, food and surprises. The start of the block parties on the 15th, the day of the Irish Channel Parade. The fun runs from 10 am to 8 pm, both days.

See party location.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Molly's at the Market Irish parade - 6:00 p.m.

In the French Quarter, riders in carriages and marching groups. Begins and ends at 1107 Decatur St.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Irish Channel Parade - 1 p.m.

The Irish Channel St. Patrick's Day Club will hold its 66th Annual Mass and Parade celebration on Saturday, March 15th, 12:00 p.m. at St. Mary's Assumption Church (corner of Constance and Josephine Streets) followed by the parade (corner of Felicity and Magazine) at 1:00 p.m.

See parade route.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Italian-American St. Joseph's Parade in the French Quarter - 6:00 p.m.

The Italian American Club celebrates St. Joseph with a parade through the French Quarter. This year parade kicks off at 6 p.m. at the intersection of Convention Center Blvd. and Girod Street. It includes 16 floats, nine marching bands and a whole lot of guys dressed in tuxuedos.

See parade route.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Parade on Metairie Road - 12 Noon

The annual Metairie Road St. Patrick's Day parade will take place on Sunday, March 16. The parade begins at noon in front of Rummel High School on Severn Avenue, goes down Severn to Metairie Road, then Metairie Road to the parish line.

See parade route.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Downtown Irish Club Parade - 6:00 p.m.

The annual downtown St. Patrick's Day parade begins on the corner of Burgundy and Piety in the Bywater, proceeds roughly up Royal, across Esplanade to Decatur, up Bienville to Bourbon. The parade makes several "pit stops" on its way to Bourbon St.

See parade route.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Louisiana Irish-Italian Parade (Metairie) - 12 Noon

The 2014 Louisiana Irish-Italian Parade will roll on March 23th, at 12:00 noon, on the traditional Veternas Highway route in Metairie.

See parade route.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

St. Bernard Irish Italian Islenos Parade - 11 a.m.

St. Bernard Irish Italian Islenos Community Parade & Marching Club Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette and Arabi 43 floats, 1,500+ members and 300,000 pounds of produce.

Unfortunately, Bozo's is no more. The original owner died a couple of years ago, and his family was never able to make a go of it. They served some of the best seafood in the city.

Something else is opening in its old location, but I haven't heard anything about it.

There are plenty of good seafood places left.

Are you looking for something in Metairie or in the French Quarter?

World Gallery is right about the parades.

Wow, I didn't know that they closed. We are on the Northshore now and we go to "the niece of Bozo's restaurant" (that's what my father calls it), KGee's, that uses some of the same recipes. http://kgeesrestaurant.com/

Not sure if it is worth coming to the Northshore for though.

Edited by World Gallery