Disney Wonder - January 2015 - kids at what age will be on the ship ?

Makono

I'm thinking about January 2015 cruise on Wonder. Actually, I even made a booking, but now I have secon thoughts.

We are planning to go on a West C. cruise on Jan 18th, 2015 during our winter holidays. I have 2 kids who will be at that time 8 and 14. I thought it would be great opportuity for them to go to kids clubs and meet with other kids from different countries (but mostly Americans). Now I'm wondering if there will be any kids at that age during the school time. What is your experience ?

The other thing is that my daughters don't speak English - only few words. How will they handle in a kid and youth clubls ? Have you seen a lot of non-English speaking kids there ?

It would be our first and rather (due to the costs of cruise and flights from Europe)) the only one cruise on DCL. Will we enjoy Wonder ? I decided on 5 day cruise on Wonder to have time enjoy the ship, but maybe I should choose 3 day Bahamian cruise on bigger and newer Dream ?

There are always SOME kids of any age on the ships. Jan 18 will be during US school, so there will not be very many teens. However, our best ever teen group was when there were only 14 teens on the ship! There will be more 8s, but not as many as on school breaks.

5 night Wonder vs. 3 night Dream--I'd take the 5 night Wonder! Or even a 7 night Magic.

As to language...you don't say what language the kids speak. There are CMs on board who can handle almost any language, and you can request a server who speaks whatever you wish. They can't promise such a person will be available, but it is possible. There are multi-lingual CMs in the various kid programs, but they most commonly speak French or Spanish in addition to English. Still, they are used to dealing with kids who speak little/no English. A smile works in all languages! It will be fine.

You might be aware that the Magic will be in the Med in the summer of 2014 and somewhere in Europe (Norway for sure) summer of 2015. This might be an alternative that could save a lot of money on air fare for you.

My personal opinion--we like the Magic best of all the ships. I would certainly choose Magic or Wonder over Dream!

I'm thinking about January 2015 cruise on Wonder. Actually, I even made a booking, but now I have secon thoughts.

We are planning to go on a West C. cruise on Jan 18th, 2015 during our winter holidays. I have 2 kids who will be at that time 8 and 14. I thought it would be great opportuity for them to go to kids clubs and meet with other kids from different countries (but mostly Americans). Now I'm wondering if there will be any kids at that age during the school time. What is your experience ?

The other thing is that my daughters don't speak English - only few words. How will they handle in a kid and youth clubls ? Have you seen a lot of non-English speaking kids there ?

It would be our first and rather (due to the costs of cruise and flights from Europe)) the only one cruise on DCL. Will we enjoy Wonder ? I decided on 5 day cruise on Wonder to have time enjoy the ship, but maybe I should choose 3 day Bahamian cruise on bigger and newer Dream ?

What language do your kids speak?? The counselors we have met are from all over the world and many speak their native language and English so they may actually have a counselor who speaks their language.

But I would teach your kids as many English words as possible before your cruise. They are old enough to learn a lot in a short amount of time. It doesn't have to be full sentences but words like bathroom, want my mom or dad, feeling ill, important phrases like that. You'll be amazed how well kids seem to communicate with other kids. My granddaughter made great friends with a girl who didn't speak any English. A smile and nod was all they needed and a lot of pointing at things.

My kids are grown but we have taken the grand kids many times and no matter when you go there are always lots of kids on the ships of all ages. People do take their kids out of school for a Disney cruise.

Both ships have great kids areas but since the Dream is newer it has the newest high tech things for them. Greatest teen area around!!!

I always go for the longest cruise I can get but if I had my grandkids with me I would go for the Dream. It has much more for them to do. Love the mini golf they have too.

When you do book a cruise be sure and go to the Roll call section here and join on your cruise date. Posting there you will get to know others on your cruise and maybe find someone with kids the ages of yours and can start them communicating on line with some help from you parents for translation.

Good luck and have a Magical cruise!!

Kathy

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply and all your tips and suggestions.

We are from Poland, so kids speak Polish :-)

Actually the older one speaks some English and little bit of German, so she should be fine. The question is if she finds there anyone at her age. I hope so :-). The younger one already knows few basic words and phrases in English - so I guess she also could communicate basics, but she would not understand more complex games, instructions, stories etc.

We were on one cruise on Costa Concordia in 2010, but at this cruise both girls went to the same kid's club, now they would be separated.

We know about European DCL crusies, but this cruise is going to be a part of our first ever Florida vacation.

I'd like to sail on Magic, but at that time of the year they only have 7 days cruise. We can not afford that. Considering 3 or 5 day cruises - I'd like to be on a newer ship, but the cost per day seams for us too high, with 5 day cruise on Wonder the cost per day (for the whole family) seams more reasonable.

Martin Luther King Day in the states is January 19th, so school kids here have the day off. We were on the Fantasy that week this past January and there were a lot of school aged kids. I think parents looked at it as one less day they would miss to sail over martin luther king day. So you probably will have more older kids on that cruise than another week in January.

Martin Luther King Day in the states is January 19th, so school kids here have the day off. We were on the Fantasy that week this past January and there were a lot of school aged kids. I think parents looked at it as one less day they would miss to sail over martin luther king day. So you probably will have more older kids on that cruise than another week in January.

DahliaRW good to know. Thanks :-) .

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply and all your tips and suggestions.

We are from Poland, so kids speak Polish :-)

Actually the older one speaks some English and little bit of German, so she should be fine. The question is if she finds there anyone at her age. I hope so :-). The younger one already knows few basic words and phrases in English - so I guess she also could communicate basics, but she would not understand more complex games, instructions, stories etc.

We were on one cruise on Costa Concordia in 2010, but at this cruise both girls went to the same kid's club, now they would be separated.

We know about European DCL crusies, but this cruise is going to be a part of our first ever Florida vacation.

I'd like to sail on Magic, but at that time of the year they only have 7 days cruise. We can not afford that. Considering 3 or 5 day cruises - I'd like to be on a newer ship, but the cost per day seams for us too high, with 5 day cruise on Wonder the cost per day (for the whole family) seams more reasonable.

I bet there will be crew members who speak Polish. But they may not be in the kids clubs.

We were just on a 3 day cruise on the Magic a few weeks ago.

They just did a huge remodel and it looks like a new ship right from the instant you step on board the ship. It is very easy to navigate the ship.

We had an awesome time on her for 3 days and the price was reasonable. Not sure if the Magic will still be doing 3 day cruises by the time your ready to cruise. They remodeled the kids areas too.

I live in Florida so if your vacationing here and have any questions about some of the attractions in the state I may be able to answer them for you.

I have been to most of the major attractions in the state. Please let me know if I can help answer any questions for you. My e-mail is at the bottom of my post, feel free to write and ask any questions you might have. Just put something on the subject line so I know its you. Maybe Florida vacation questions. Other wise I delete everything I don't recognize who its from.

Kathy

I live in Florida so if your vacationing here and have any questions about some of the attractions in the state I may be able to answer them for you.

I have been to most of the major attractions in the state. Please let me know if I can help answer any questions for you. My e-mail is at the bottom of my post, feel free to write and ask any questions you might have. Just put something on the subject line so I know its you. Maybe Florida vacation questions. Other wise I delete everything I don't recognize who its from.

Kathy

Thank you Kathy for you kind offer. If I have any questions, I'll send you an e-mail. I've already have a plan and even booked some hotels :-).

Marta

While there will be Polish speaking CMs on the ship, if you find one in the kid programming, it will be just plain luck. You will find plenty of kids on the ship though....we actually LIKE this time of year as there are fewer kids than when it is really busy. My kid was never into "big groups," but preferred to hang with 2-4 others.

A few English phrases will go a long way. Probably the most important (for the 8 year old) is "Call Mom, please."

If you are going to Disney World, consider that the tickets decrease in cost on a per-day basis the longer you stay. A one day ticket is almost $100, but a 10 day ticket is under $40 PER DAY. Also, remember that in the US, prices posted do not include taxes. Ouch.

I would not book any hotel that you are unable to cancel. There may be some excellent bargains available at this time of year, but they haven't been announced yet. If you can book now, you know that you have a place to stay, but you want to be able to claim the bargain package if one appears. You might find Disney with a free dining plan or other significant price break.

You'll love the Wonder. At least we did.

moki'smommy

Our plan for Florida is to start with Miami (2 days), then 5 night cruise, one night at Key West, Everglades, Port Canavaral and 5 days in Orlando. We want to spend 2 days at both parks at Universal (my older one is a great fan of Harry Potter) and then one or maximum 2 days at WDW (Magic and one more park). We have only 16-18 days maximum including flights.

Yes, I only booked hotels I will be able to cancel if I find another good deals.

Thanks for all tips :-)

One more question - will it be enough warm to swim in the ocean at that time ? I've heard about cold winters last years in Florida.

moki'smommy

Our plan for Florida is to start with Miami (2 days), then 5 night cruise, one night at Key West, Everglades, Port Canavaral and 5 days in Orlando. We want to spend 2 days at both parks at Universal (my older one is a great fan of Harry Potter) and then one or maximum 2 days at WDW (Magic and one more park). We have only 16-18 days maximum including flights.

Yes, I only booked hotels I will be able to cancel if I find another good deals.

Thanks for all tips :-)

One more question - will it be enough warm to swim in the ocean at that time ? I've heard about cold winters last years in Florida.

It varies year to year. This past January it was cold in Florida by Florida standards. It was in the mid 50s and sunny before we cruised (felt warm to us coming from a colder place, but still not warm enough to swim in the ocean). When we got back the first two days were 50s adn 60s with showers, then a day where it hit 80, and then a day in the mid-40s with rain (all temperatures ferenheight). So it really can vary in a short time.

That being said, on our cruise it was warm enough for us to swim in the ocean at Costa Maya, Castaway Cay, and Cozumel (we did not have the opportunity in Costa Maya due to our excursion).

Swimming in the ocean in January is variable. Some years, it is great but others it is COLD. We've had times when it was in the high 70s in January (air temp) and other years when it didn't get above 45. You WILL need to pack at least one outfit for cool weather and have a jacket or sweater.

If you plan to go to Universal, you'll get some nice perks if you stay at one of their hotels for those days.

2 days at Disney is actually going to be pricey. Most of the packages start at 3 nights.

Have fun!

Thanks

I've just converted on-line temperstures in F into Celsius (even though I spent 6 months in California almost 20 tears ago I'm not able to convert it in my head), and 45 degrees is not what I'd like to have, but maybe we will have more luck :-).

BTW is the water in swimming pools heated ?

We will also have port days at Cozumel & Castaway. Is it safe in Cozumel to visit it on your own ? just take a taxi ?

The water in the pools at Disney World hotels and parks and on the ships is heated. I can't speak to other hotel pools--some are, some are not.

Cozumel--If you want a beach, Paradise Beach costs $2 entry for adults, children are free. $12 per person will get an all day pass for all "non-motorized water toys." There are vendors who will rent chairs, umbrellas, or whatever you want. A taxi is $30 round trip PER CAB, not per person. Do not let the taxi driver talk you into a package that includes things you may not want. A package is OK if you want everything in it, but if there are items you don't want, it is a waste of money. They will happily take US dollars in Cozumel.

There is a shopping center right at the pier. It has a Starbucks coffee shop if you need wifi (free with any purchase.) You buy a beverage and the code for the wifi is on the receipt.

Chankanaab (probably spelled wrong) is a park with all sorts of beach/water activities. You pay a fee to enter and then additional fees depending on what you want to do.

Cozumel is safe, but do not go off the tourist track Do not rent a car and venture off on your own here. Taxi prices are posted on a board at the pier and are per cab regardless of number of people.

Key West is easy on your own. There is a tram that you can "hop on, hop off" at various sites. If everyone in your group is able-bodied, you can walk the island easily. Totally safe.

Our 13 yr old had about 22 kids in his age category during our January 2014 Cruise.