Please explain about London transit cards

wags

I haven't been to London in 10 years. My family of 7 will be spending 3 days there in August after a British Isles cruise. I don't understand about the tube and bus cards available to tourists, e.g. the Oyster cards. What is the most economical way for us to use the transit system? Thanks for any help you can give.

Here we go again! :eek::D

For a good general overview of the London Transport system, this page has useful links to a variety of topics:

http://londontoolkit.com/mnu/london_transport.htm

This page in particular gives the clearest guidance on the question of Oyster Cards and Travel Cards that I have seen anywhere:

http://londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard_oyster.htm

Also, be sure to read the sections about children's fares and concessions toward the bottom of the page.

Off the top of my head, my guess is that you might be better off with individual one-day travelcards than with Oyster cards--but I could be wrong. (I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain why I'm wrong.)

There was a lengthy thread about the ins and outs of Travelcards and Oyster cards a few months ago, but I can't find it at the moment. (I know how the whole system works, and I can use it with ease when I'm in London--but I'm darned if I can explain it in a way that doesn't cause further confusion. ;))

The upshot is, the fare system and various options seem extremely complicated, especially if you're not familiar with them. But, once you're in London, and if you've studied the aforementioned web page for a few hours, it's all really not as complicated as it first seems.

Good luck, & happy travels!

Edited by Post Captain

Just a short addendum to my previous post:

www.tfl.gov.uk is the official website of Transport for London (formerly known as London Transport). This page in particular may be useful as a menu via which you can explore all the various travel options in and around London:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/default.aspx

Fares and various fare options are explained (sort of) here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/fares-2014/29089.aspx

Post Captain, I gather from your "here we go again" that this question has been asked many times before. I'm sorry. I'm new to this board and didn't know. I want to thank you for all the websites and info you provided. It seems complicated but I'm sure, with the help you've given me, we'll know what to do. Thank you.

Post Captain, I gather from your "here we go again" that this question has been asked many times before. I'm sorry. I'm new to this board and didn't know. I want to thank you for all the websites and info you provided. It seems complicated but I'm sure, with the help you've given me, we'll know what to do. Thank you.

No problem. You're very welcome. And absolutely no need for you to apologize--I was just having a private chuckle, as there was a similar thread a while back that quickly devolved into a sort of Abbott and Costello comedy routine. (Think "Who's on first?" "I don't know...") :D

If you ask three different people whether you'd be better off using an Oyster Card or a Travel Card, you're likely to get six different answers! :D

As I recall, in that previous thread, I compared the intricacies of Transport for London's fare pricing policies to the secret rituals of the Freemasons, or something along those lines. ;)

But in actually, using either Oyster Cards or Travel Cards is very simple and convenient. If in doubt as to which type of card is more advantageous for your situation, ask a ticket agent at any London train station or Underground station, and they'll figure it out for you and sell you the card(s) that you need.

Part of your decision will have to do with where you stay and where you plan to visit each day. I like to suggest taking a look at the Rick Steve's London travel book (I am a librarian). The book will have some basic maps, bus and tube info as well as the Oyster and Travel card options. The book brings together a lot of the basic info you need to plan your time & money.