kids club info

thegoodern

My husband and I are taking our 4 kids, between the ages of 8 and 16, on our first cruise this summer. I have found all of the advice on CC so beneficial and am so happy to have come across this website! If anyone has prior experience with the kids club on the Dawn, I would appreciate your feedback and answers to my questions.

1) I know that the kids club is optional and the kids can attend as they wish, but how do you know if your child wants to leave the club before the designated pick up time? Will someone notify you, or are the kids just allowed to leave?

2) My parents will be traveling with us as well, will they be allowed to grab the kids out of the kids club if they want to spend time with them?

3) Do the kids have meals there, or do we pick them up for meal times?

4) What activities or aspects of the kids club did your children like/dislike?

I will try to tackle some of your questions, as best I can.

1. No, kids under the age of 12 cannot just leave. They need to be signed in and out of the club. My son is now 15, but before when he was younger there was no real way of them notifying you if you are not in your room (not sure if that's changed). You can always call the kids club to check on them or swing by.

2. Yes, as long as they are on the list of people you provide.

3. While at sea, most of the times, the kids club closes at noon and reopens at 2. Then closes again at 5 and reopens at 7. This is so that parents can pick up their kids feed them and spend some time with them. There are some nights that the kid's club has their own dinner so they open earlier in the evening and then go to the buffet with the kids or have food brought into the club. If you choose to leave your child in the club on a port day, the club stays open the whole time and they will feed them.

4. When my son was younger he enjoyed the scavenger hunts, pirate's night and the different little contest they had for them. Now that he's a teen he spends most of the day at the bb court. He does enjoy the bb and dodge ball tournaments they host for the teens during the day. At night he likes hanging out in the teen night club with the other kids he's met throughout the week.

Hope that helps! My biggest advise is to make them go in the 1st or 2nd night. They might tell you they don't want go but once they meet other kids and make friends, it's a whole different story.

Edited by VanessaM

My biggest advise is to make them go in the 1st or 2nd night. They might tell you they don't want go but once they meet other kids and make friends, it's a whole different story.

I don't know anything about actual happenings but many reviewers here have said that the first night is the most important, hands down - even after one night the cliques start to form (especially with teens) and getting in later could be difficult for some kids.

I agree with the above poster, have them go the first night so they can meet their "gang" and get acclimated. Both of my kids go at least a little bit of each day because they always feel like they are going to miss something.

Also, I do believe the 10-12 year old age group can sign themselves out, IF you sign/allow for that when you fill out the paperwork. We haven't been on NCL for a while with the kids, but I looked up that info and it said they can. However, this does not apply on Port Days or for the Late Night Fun Zone, just sea days and until 10:30 when the free part of kids club closes.

Also the kids can stay in the club when you're at port until ??pm, they don't shut down the kids club from 12-2 and 5-7 or whatever it is. That way if you want to do an excursion with just the adults you can.

Edit: I just looked it up. Here is the info from the NCL page.

What do I need to know about the 10-12 year old sea day sign out parent authorization?

The parent can decide to allow their 10-12 year old to sign themselves out of the Splash Academy after two hour of participation.

The parent must make the very first drop off.

The authorization ends nightly at 10:30 pm. Therefore at 10:30pm the 10-12 year old will be signed out from the Splash Academy unless the parent signs the child up for Late Night Fun Zone.

If the child does not wish to remain in the Splash Academy for the two hours, the parent or authorized pick up people can pick up the child at any time. Please refer to FAQ regarding authorized pick up people.

The sign out authorization does not apply on Port Days.

It is recommended that a parent decline the authorization if the parent does not want their 10-12 year old around the ship unattended or if the child has a moderate to severe special need.

Edited by Kdiamond55

When you drop them at kids club, they'll ask where you'll be - so if you'll be in your room, they can call. If you're at a restaurant, they can call. It's not foolproof if you're one place and change your mind and go elsewhere, but you can call up to the kids club anytime or stop by the desk (adults are not allowed in the kids club after the orientation on the first night). I'll third going to the club on the first night.

My 7 year old daughter loved it - search here for dailies or even just on google for Norwegian Dawn Freestyle Dailies and you can see what they offer as far as events.

On getaway our son is 5 they gave us a pager that hung around our neck that could be used like a phone not sure if it was just for the little kids but I'm sure they would let you check one out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if my 12 year old could go get my 16 year or the staff go get her, if the youngest wanted leave. I don't want them alone walking the ship but I want them to leave ( to come to us)if they want to. This is if they have permission to sign themselves out. I don't know how far part the different areas are, if it is even feasible.