Carrying Soda thru checkin?

When we were going thru check-in I saw a guy openly carrying a 12pk of Dr Pepper. Wasn't able to keep track of him or IF he was allowed to keep it.

I know the Written Policy does not allow it.

But, RC doesn't stock DP products, my Wife's day after cure.

How do some get thru w/ it?

When we were going thru check-in I saw a guy openly carrying a 12pk of Dr Pepper. Wasn't able to keep track of him or IF he was allowed to keep it.

Some people carry it on, some put a luggage tag on the carton, some put the cans in a duffel bag. Once we tried the luggage tag on a case of water and it was refused, so we had to give it up. It was near spring break time, and they seem to be more willing to enforce the rules then.

Do it all the time (soda and water) thru Florida ports with no issues. No issues taking a case of water and soda on in Barcelona embarkation (also had no issue buying and bringing wine on board at my Italy port of call).

Our family of four, in two separate cabins, checked two thermal bags (one a rolling bag) with several six-packs of canned soda, and a 12-pack of waters in Fort Lauderdale in February.

We were a little worried when the second bag hadn't arrived by 8:00 PM on embarkation day and we had a message on our cabin TV to proceed to what some call the "Naughty Room" because something in our checked luggage didn't comply with safety regulations. But it turned out that we had inadvertently left a small knife that we'd used to cut rolls for sandwiches on our road trip from up north in one of the outer pockets of the cooler! :o D'oh! Bag with soda was given over without hesitation. Knife was retained for the duration of the cruise. We never did claim it at the end....too embarassed!

People have suggested it depends on the port you sail from. Any chance it was Fort Lauderdale?

It was New Orleans, New Years Eve sailing, I know the Big Easy is VERY laid back.

Will be sailing from Galveston this trip.

Sailing Oasis from Fort Lauderdale next year, are they more/less strict?

Edited by SharkByte

We were a little worried when the second bag hadn't arrived by 8:00 PM on embarkation day and we had a message on our cabin TV to proceed to what some call the "Naughty Room" because something in our checked luggage didn't comply with safety regulations.

Funny, sailing from San Juan, It was time for our late dining, none of our bags had arrived, got the voice mail to report to the Naughty Room, We decided since we had already left the pier our bags weren't going anywhere. We went along to dinner, come back to the cabin to retrieve the luggage keys, The bag w/ our contraband had been delivered. Now the message said report to guest services. Guest services had the bag in a small room, my wife had thrown my multi-tool, laying flat down in the bottom, I Always pack it vertical on the side.

The officer admitted he himself has the same one, but for chance I might attempt to dismantle the ship, I was not allowed to keep it.:cool:

Edited by SharkByte

I know the Written Policy does not allow it. But, RC doesn't stock DP products, my Wife's day after cure.

You are right, it is in the rules, but they usually choose not to enforce it. When asked, I just tell people to go ahead and bring your water/soda, but be prepared that they might refuse it.

As far as Dr.P goes, whether RC stocks an item or not will not change whether they decide to let you board with it.

We put a case of water and and diet coke in a duffle bag 2 weeks ago in Fort Lauderdale and it was delivered right to our room. I read on these boards that you could no longer just put luggage tags on the cases. Didn't see any cases of water like we used to when we gave our luggage to the porters.