Does cunard offer express checkout by carrying own luggage?

redhydra

Hi

I have a question. Does cunard offer express checkout where you carry your own baggage in southampton

I ask because i always took advantage of this on both celebrity and RCI but since cunard belong to carnival corp, may be their policy is different or because european policy are different than in america

Thanks in advance

Yes they do. They call it Self-Help Disembarkation and you need to apply for it in advance at the Purser's Desk. You can then carry off your luggage after the ship is cleared. However you don't need to leave early. You can disembark at any time up to the time the last group is called.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Hi I have a question. Does cunard offer express checkout where you carry your own baggage in southampton I ask because i always took advantage of this on both celebrity and RCI but since cunard belong to carnival corp, may be their policy is different or because european policy are different than in america Thanks in advance
Yes, self-disembarkation is available. Special tags and instructions will be given on board for this.

(You have to be able to carry all your bags in one trip, as I'm sure you would, no going back to the cabin for the rest (as I saw/heard once at the security check-out desk at the exit from the ship from a lady who had obviously already "disembarked" and was now trying to re-board the ship - "But I've left the remainder of my bags in my cabin, I just need to go back and get them")).

Enjoy your time with Cunard, have a great time :) .

... a lady who had obviously already "disembarked" and was now trying to re-board the ship - "But I've left the remainder of my bags in my cabin, I just need to go back and get them"..

She's probably not the first or the last. I wonder how that's handled? She probably had to wait in the terminal until the crew off loaded them - and effectively cancelled out any time advantage to getting off early.

Worked very well for us on our last cruise as there was traffic chaos at the port due to road works, we were able to beat the rush at the taxi rank and were at the station by 8h30! And no need to put your bags out the night before! They did make it clear on application which was a simple visit to the pursers desk that we had to be able to take all our bags off at once.

She's probably not the first or the last. I wonder how that's handled? She probably had to wait in the terminal until the crew off loaded them - and effectively cancelled out any time advantage to getting off early.
Interesting question, and I've no idea, I presume they must have a procedure, as you say, probably not the first time. I didn't hang about, she was making quite a fuss (as you might imagine). I've only self-disembarked once (from QE2) and it was all very simple (even had time for a superb breakfast in the Caronia Restaurant :) ); however it was very clear that I had to be able to carry ALL my cases/bags myself, in one journey.

Best wishes :) ,

It works well with us (four in a party).

There is no hassle about having everything ready the night before.

One person goes to the Lido/Kings Court and brings down drinks and pastries, which we consume while getting ready. Then we leave the ship as soon as we are able. We are often the first people in the car park.

I really would recommend it. Those who rise earlier than us would even have time for a full breakfast.

When we are taking a taxi from the terminal we use self-help, but when taking a Cunard coach transfer we let the crew handle the luggage as there is no reason for us to get off the ship early. If your luggage is on wheels and you don't have too much it is quite easy. The Ocean Terminal has ramps to get you down to street level. The Queen Elizabeth II Terminal does not. We have sometimes had to wait a while in a queue to get into the lift. Staff will not permit use of the escalator if you have large or even medium-sized cases. This minor inconvenience doesn't bother us, but we have seen some people grumbling a bit.

Can you take your own bags off, if you have a Cunard Transfer ?

You can but you must be able to take everything off by yourself in one trip down the gangway. If you have a Cunard Transfer you will be given luggage tags for your disembarkation group. Your group will be called when the transfer is ready to receive passengers and their luggage is ready in the baggage hall. Security checks the luggage tag to ensure that is your "turn" to leave the ship. So you need to keep a tag even if you are keeping your bags.

Only passengers who specifically register for "self help" will be allowed off early. So if you choose "self help" and leave the ship you may be waiting a while until your transfer shows up. In New York, I don't think the waiting area is open for disembarking passengers. I seem to remember an exit that bypassed the lounge.

Edited by BlueRiband

... In New York, I don't think the waiting area is open for disembarking passengers. I seem to remember an exit that bypassed the lounge.
That is my memory also; in the Brooklyn Terminal after immigration, you turn right, pass through customs, and ahead is a large, long straight passageway to the taxis and coaches outside. Nowhere to sit and wait that I can recall.

Redhydra, I understand you have self-disembarked from other cruise lines and understands what it entails. My comments that follow are intended for others reading this thread who are unfamiliar with the process.

We have self-disembarkered Cunard ships seven times---in Southampton, Brooklyn, and Los Angeles--- sometimes dragging one bag apiece, sometimes two.

I would not recommend this method to someone unable to handle ALL of his (or her) own baggage in a completely independent manner.

We observed a woman struggling to drag her two large suitcases up and over a hump, which preceded the gangway off the Queen Elizabeth a year ago.

Cunard staff just watched her struggle--obviously instructed not to lift a finger, ever, to help anyone self-disembarking. She held up the entire queue while her husband dropped his bags and returned to help her---all within two feet of Cunard staff, just standing and watching.

Self-desembarkation works well for those of us who can manage all baggage ourselves. Some luggage rolls easily and multiple bags are not a problem for some people. In other situations, for other people, self-disembarkation is not the correct choice. It is a long hall to exit any of the cruise terminals so self-disembarkation requires an amount of strength and stamina equal to the task. Weight of suitcases, age, and fitness are all things to consider.

During a short voyage--like a crossing-- one probably does not have the amount of baggage taken on longer voyages. Southampton is point of disembarkation for both crossings and world cruises. Maybe, it is a good choice to self-disembark in Southampton after a crossing, dragging one bag. Maybe, it is a poor choice after a world cruise on which one has taken several pieces of luggage.

BTW, I think I do remember a few seats at the end of one of the Southampton terminals by the doorway--I think Ocean--but certainly no place to rest mid-way through the terminal as Pepper noted.