QM2: Oct.8, 2005 NYC to Southampton

gracecarmo

So far, there are just two of us posting for this voyage over on the Roll Call BB. (looks like we will have the ship to ourselves???)

Anyone else going?

Hoping to get more CC'ers from this board.

Grace

Hi Grace,

My husband and I have just booked this cruise.We will already be on the ship as we are doing the New England cruise leaving New York on the 26th September.Have you sailed on the QM2 before?What cabin have you booked?

So it looks as though Cunard will have the two Graces on board!

Grace.

Grace C

We have someone else on our trip!!!!!! Looks like it won't be just us 6 with the ship all to ourselves!!!!!!!

Grace No: 2

Pleased to meet you. We are on this crossing with Grace also. We are doing westbound transatlantic, then splendours of the falls, then eastbound transatlantic (I have a fear of flying and hey what better than 25 relaxing days at sea???).

We (hubby, daughter (21/22 whilst on board), son (19) and myself) are all on deck 5, hubby and I in a balcony cabin and the kids in steerage (they know there place)!!;)

We are taking a belated trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We set sail from Southampton 8 weeks tomorrow. Better get on that last minute crash diet!!

Elaine

an initial? (instead of putting a number, like 1 or 2) I am sure glad I posted here on this board....found another Grace!

We embark in NYC....lucky Elaine already on the ship. If I would hae known about the Splendors voyage I may have been with you too.

Where do you live? Getting to meet people is half the fun, and this board provides a lot of entertainment and enrichment for me.

Grace C.

Hello Grace and Elaine,

It is great to hear from people who will be on the same cruise.Our holiday consists of a 5 day stay in New York then we embark the ship for the cruise round New England.I hope to shop till I drop in New York and thought how wonderful not to worry about luggage allowance so decided to do the transatlantic crossing as well.We are in cabin 11021 on the 11th deck.It will be the first time that we have cruised the Atlantic,have either of you done this before?

Elaine did you book your cruise in the UK?I found the prices so high that I have used a company from the US,paid in dollars,and what a great saving,and first class service.We have a lot to learn from our American friends.

Kind regards to you both,

Grace.

HI Grace No: 2

No I just went through my agent here in the UK. So tell me Grace do you live in the UK???

I have crossed the atlantic when my daughter (both our children will be with us) was just approx 10/11 months old on the QE2. She is going to be 22 whilst we are onboard. It's a long time ago since I did North Atlantic crossing, but I do a lot of atlantic crossings to the caribbean in December!!

Elaine

Hi Elaine and Grace2

We are in 8089 on deck 8. We have the first seating in Britiania Restaurant.

I have my suitcase (a really small one too!) on the guest room bed and ready to be packed, but I keep changing my mind re formal wear....today, I got out one of my long black skirts, and will pair it with different tops. It's the daytime wear that takes up most of the space. So far, I have sweaters and slacks....would this be right for this crossing?

For the 2 nights in NY....my trusty black theatre suit will do nicely.

Grace C

Hi Elaine and Grace2

We are in 8089 on deck 8. We have the first seating in Britiania Restaurant.

I have my suitcase (a really small one too!) on the guest room bed and ready to be packed, but I keep changing my mind re formal wear....today, I got out one of my long black skirts, and will pair it with different tops. It's the daytime wear that takes up most of the space. So far, I have sweaters and slacks....would this be right for this crossing?

For the 2 nights in NY....my trusty black theatre suit will do nicely.

Grace C

Grace

I think we need every eventuality in our wardrobe. It is not unusual for us on an xmas cruise to take 14 pieces of luggage!!!! That's the beauty of not having a flight!!!!!! You can take as much as you can put in a car or two as in our case!!!!!!! I know that my daughter went to NY for her 21st last October the weekend after her birthday and they were walking around NY in T shirts. To us the temperature in Oct is still quite warm. But for the UK weather you need to be prepared. Today for instance it is height of summer and the temps are quite low and the weather dreadful. And it doesn't look like getting any better for the rest of the week.

I am impressed though that you have your suitcase on the bed ready to be packed. Even I haven't done that yet, but we are shopping for new clothes!!!!

Elaine

Hello Grace,

We have first seating also in the dining room.I have requested a large table.

I have been looking to see what to wear for the formal evenings but regards the day clothes I am coming to New York with an empty suit case so that I can shop till I drop.I hear the prices are so much cheaper in the US.I see you live in Kansas,have you been to New York,if so,any advise on what to see or do?

Hello Elaine,

Maybe you can give me some tips on cruising the Atlantic,we have never done this before.We have been on several cruises but they were all ones where there was lots of ports of call,cruising for 6 days has never really appealed to me.I decided to stay on the Queen Mary to come home just for the experience and to be able to bring back as much luggage as I want.I live in the Isle of Man but was originally from the West Midlands,we have been on the island for approximately 10 years.We will leave here on Sept 19th and travel to the Midlands where I have relatives to stay with,the next day we travel to Southampton and leave our car at the port.We then go to Heathrow where I have booked a hotel for the night.Our flight departs for New York at 10.25am on the 21st.I am really looking forward to this break.What cabin are you in,have you booked the early or late sitting?Where are you in the UK?#

Best wishes,

Grace.

Hi Grace (Is it W??)

Usually at christmas we go down to the caribbean so we are going South. Usually takes a couple of days to reach the canaries and then another 5 days to get to the caribbean. But the weather is warm enough to sunbathe from the canaries onwards, so I spend most of my time sunbathing. I have no idea what we are going to do all day as I am pretty sure we won't be sunbathing!! I might be pleasantly surprised. I mean maybe we are in for an indian summer as today is more like Autumn!! It's quite depressing really!! I can assure you though that you can do as much or as little as you want on a cruise ship!! I'm sure QM2 (more of a liner than a cruise ship) will be exactly the same. We will probably have a nice lie in heading over to the US. This holiday will be very strange for us as the kids (19 and 21/22) will be spending quite a lot of time with us. On Aurora they tend to do their own thing. Actually since my daughter has got a lot older she tends to come and sit with me on deck. We will probably meet for a late breakfast and go from there. I am a little concerned about keeping our son entertained. He is not into reading books which my daughter will be more than happy to do. Find a nice little quiet area and curl up and read. He likes to be kept busy!! Think I'll suggest a bit of father/son bonding and push that responsibility on my husband!! I'll keep the easier of the two.

So you are on the isle of Man! You will be used to rough seas coming across to Liverpool then?? My husband is originally from Liverpool but has not lived there since he was 16. I am originally from Luton (yes the place with the airport in the cinzano adverts, think about them everytime I see Lorraine Chase on Emmerdale and fondly remember Leonard Rossiter!!!!). We live in an estate of about 27 houses in the middle of nowhere (between two villages) in Bedfordshire!! Need a car to get anywhere!! Wouldn't swap it though. I'm not a city person. Our daughter went to Liverpool university and I quite liked visiting up there (never used to tell father in law when I was going as he lives on the outskirts towards Crosby and I wanted to stay in the city centre). I don't remember Liverpool being so cool back when I first met my husband.

We are doing this cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It was back in Feb but we both wanted to do the splendours trip. Also I don't fly so that is why we are doing both transatlantic trips.

So don't worry about 6 whole days at sea. I am sure you will find something to do. I'm sure they will have lectures, classes etc.

Well you seem to be getting ready to do a lot of shopping. We are using one visit to New York to sight see and the other to shop. Just not sure which way round were going to do it yet!!

Can I be rude and ask what age group you would be in. We are 46 & 44.

Elaine

GraceW and Elaine: shopping is a sport in NYC. I have been there several times, the last time was a year ago in Oct. A very busy and bustling city.

Living here in Kansas, things are about half the price as they are in NY. (clothes, food, etc....just compare it to London vs the outlying areas)

If you want to shop the "Big" stores, you will want to go to 5th Ave: all the expensive shops are there. However, there are also bargain type stores all over. I am really not that aquainted with any of the stores, as I usually have all I want shopping-wise here in the Kansas City area.

There are also a lot of "street vendors" that sell purses, scarves, watches, jewelry, all imitations of the originals. You will see these guys really scurry when they see the police coming! Most do not have a licence to sell, but just set up on the corner on a portable wagon. People flock to these stands.

I am really looking forward to shopping in the UK! I love English type accessories for the home, and usually bring something home in that area mostly in metal. I want to complete a setting of really large dinner forks in 800 silver. I have some really large knives (8) that I use with them with engraving on the blade that says "Carrington 130 Regent St". I want to research them also. We give a lot of gourmet dinner parties and use these items frequently. I love flea markets and antique stores.

Clothes: I have 5 closets full with no vacant hangers. LOL.

Elaine: you are the age of our children!! Young and very energetic.

Tom and I are in our late 60's....sort of young and energetic for our age group!

GraceC

GraceW and Elaine: shopping is a sport in NYC. I have been there several times, the last time was a year ago in Oct. A very busy and bustling city.

Living here in Kansas, things are about half the price as they are in NY. (clothes, food, etc....just compare it to London vs the outlying areas)

If you want to shop the "Big" stores, you will want to go to 5th Ave: all the expensive shops are there. However, there are also bargain type stores all over. I am really not that aquainted with any of the stores, as I usually have all I want shopping-wise here in the Kansas City area.

There are also a lot of "street vendors" that sell purses, scarves, watches, jewelry, all imitations of the originals. You will see these guys really scurry when they see the police coming! Most do not have a licence to sell, but just set up on the corner on a portable wagon. People flock to these stands.

I am really looking forward to shopping in the UK! I love English type accessories for the home, and usually bring something home in that area mostly in metal. I want to complete a setting of really large dinner forks in 800 silver. I have some really large knives (8) that I use with them with engraving on the blade that says "Carrington 130 Regent St". I want to research them also. We give a lot of gourmet dinner parties and use these items frequently. I love flea markets and antique stores.

Clothes: I have 5 closets full with no vacant hangers. LOL.

Elaine: you are the age of our children!! Young and very energetic.

Tom and I are in our late 60's....sort of young and energetic for our age group!

GraceC

Grace C

Shall I give you my shopping list then??? :)

Natalie and my Tom were over in New York last October too for her 21st birthday. Nat said that the weather was still quite warm and was able to wear T Shirts. She didn't find the designer stores any cheaper than at home here (she wanted to buy a Dior purse with her birthday money and it wasn't much cheaper than if she'd brought it here in the UK). However she already has a list of the Benefit make up that she wants to buy when were there. Same in dollars as it is in pounds!!!!!!

Hey Grace, age is a state of mind. At the moment I feel ancient. Think I may be coming down with something!!!!! Nat was ill last week, Craig ill at the weekend and now it appears it's my turn!! Still the weather doesn't help!!

Elaine

Hi Grace,

I think I might change my mind and come and do my shopping in Kansas!Are there any out of town shopping malls in New York?I will be doing shopping while hubby visits museums and art galleries.Wherever we go we always make sure we have visited all the main sites of that particular city,so a lot of the time will be spent sight seeing.

Hi Elaine,

You are very lucky that your children will go on holiday with you,once mine reached about 16 they never wanted anymore family holidays.My children are older than yours and have families of their own so obviously like to do their own thing.We did have a weeks holiday with them all 2 years ago in Crete which was most enjoyable.They are all based in the UK so come and visit me for one of thier holidays,I am becoming quite an expert again with small babies and children.I love to see them all but I must say I have reached the age when it is also nice to see them go!!You did ask how old my husband and I are,well I am 58 amd my husband is 54.

I have never got used to rough seas despite living on an island,the Irish sea can be dreadful at times particularly in the winter.I usually cross to Heysham in Lancaster,this is the route that operates all year,the only time the boat does not sail is in force 9-10.I have used the Liverpool crossing but that has usually been in the summer when the steam packet operates their seacat vessels.It is almost as expensive crossing the Irish sea as crossing the Atlantic!!

Best wishes,

Grace.

Hi again Grace W

You will have plenty of time to shop in New York. We will only have the short time QM2 is in New York so will have to be very organised.

I know what you mean about children. I certainly wouldn't want anymore now!! I know I'm only 44 but it's great to be able to do whatever you want whenever you want. I have either stupidly or bravely said I will have my 7 year old niece for a week later on in August. We are going to her mum's and dad's in the midlands for bank holiday and I have offered to have her the week before!! They are all away at present on the Aurora going around the med (going to two of my favourite places, Venice and Dubrovnik!!). Then mum and dad are back to work and my niece will have to go to an out of school club for a couple of weeks before coming to me. Still I've got plenty planned. I was going to take her into London to Mdm Tussauds but since recent events I've had a rethink. We shall just go to the Whipsinade Zoo, Gullivers land (theme park for little ones in Milton Keynes), Woburn safari!! She also wants to go to legoland. It will be a busy week!!

Tom was working in Ireland (Limerick) for nearly a year. So I used to do the Liverpool to Dublin route quite a lot. Did the overnight, so I could just sleep and if it were rough I didn't notice!!

Well still not feeling too good today. I think I may have whatever my son has had. Can't put my finger on it but not quite right if you know what I mean!! Wonder if it's a touch of flu!!!!!

Off to feel sorry for myself before doing some housework!!

Elaine

Hello Elaine,

Hope you are feeling better today.Life is still a bit hectic here due to my daughter and her baby staying.I have forgotten what hard work it is bringing up a baby,it is just constant!

I noticed in another thread which I have only just found how much you paid for your trip.This is the first time I have tried an American cruise firm to place a booking,but I will certainly do it again in the future.I got the number off the internet and then phoned them.I was immediately offered a better cabin for far less than they offered here in the UK,I was even given the cabin number,plus red and white wine in our cabin on departure[New England] and on the transatlantic crossing given $75 per person on board credit.But the best bit was the price,I have saved nearly £6,000,which I find unbelievable.Just to make sure I was on the manifest for both crossing I phoned Cunard US who verified everything had been booked.

I have only one thing left to do and that is book some parking in Southampton and organise a taxi to get us to Heathrow.I thought it made sense to leave our car at the port so that when we return with all my shopping the car will be waiting for us!!Do you know any contact numbers for parking for a month at the port?

Grace

Hi GraceW and Elaine,

Elaine, I hope you are feeling better, just rest and drink plenty of water. The flu bug is going around here too.

Grace: re parking your car in Southampton: some folks over on the Britian board suggest renting a car rather than parking for a month or so.

I still have to make some arrangments for transportation for our 4 days in Southampton and am considering the Britrail London Plus Pass to use on the trains for our day trips. I am still not really sure that I want to do this type of pass, or just do a point to point type fare. The London Plus Pass is $129 american per person, and sounds like a bargain to me, considering that the fare alone to Salisbury is costly. I hope I am calculating the British pound correctly. (I just double it).

I am interested in your US travel agent. I am shopping around for a new one, as I usually do all the work and just turn the booking over to a TA. If you would, could you e mail me with that info? Sounds like you got a really good deal.

gracecarmo @ sunflower . com. (no spaces between, just putting this in a space form so spammers don't get to me using these boards)

I am now half way through Harry Potter.....love it.

GraceC

Hello Elaine,

Hope you are feeling better today.Life is still a bit hectic here due to my daughter and her baby staying.I have forgotten what hard work it is bringing up a baby,it is just constant!

I noticed in another thread which I have only just found how much you paid for your trip.This is the first time I have tried an American cruise firm to place a booking,but I will certainly do it again in the future.I got the number off the internet and then phoned them.I was immediately offered a better cabin for far less than they offered here in the UK,I was even given the cabin number,plus red and white wine in our cabin on departure[New England] and on the transatlantic crossing given $75 per person on board credit.But the best bit was the price,I have saved nearly £6,000,which I find unbelievable.Just to make sure I was on the manifest for both crossing I phoned Cunard US who verified everything had been booked.

I have only one thing left to do and that is book some parking in Southampton and organise a taxi to get us to Heathrow.I thought it made sense to leave our car at the port so that when we return with all my shopping the car will be waiting for us!!Do you know any contact numbers for parking for a month at the port?

Grace

Hi Grace

It usually wouldn't be an issue as we don't normally travel Cunard. Had a good deal a few years back on QE2!! We usually travel P & O and I know the guys in the US find it difficult to book in UK. We are getting $400 OBC but that is because of the all the problems we experienced with the kids cabin. Otherwise as far as I am aware we get nothing!!

Well as far as feeling better today, at least I managed to get the grass cut, so I must be feeling a little better. Don't feel so vague, which is how I was feeling. Quite light headed!! I bet your feeling tired with your daughter and her baby staying. It's nice though when you can give them back and you don't have to get up in the middle of the night!!! How old is the baby??

The parking down in Southampton can be booked with CPS:-

Phoenix House

Central Road

Eastern Docks

Southampton

SO14 3AH

Telephone: +44 023 8033 0909

(For Car Parking Service - See below)

Facsimile: +44 023 8023 3261 Web Site: www.candps.com

You may need to get a special rate as they usually meet you at the docks and take the car for you. As you will be arriving probably on a non cruise day the details may be different!! I'd like to know how you get on with them. We use them for our P & O cruises. Not had any problems to date!!

Elaine

Hi GraceW and Elaine,

Elaine, I hope you are feeling better, just rest and drink plenty of water. The flu bug is going around here too.

If you would, could you e mail me with that info? Sounds like you got a really good deal.

gracecarmo @ sunflower . com. (no spaces between, just putting this in a space form so spammers don't get to me using these boards)

I am now half way through Harry Potter.....love it.

GraceC

Evening Grace

Yes I feel a little better, but you know us women. Don't have time to be ill!!

Grace I use a completely different e mail address that I post on message boards so that I don't get unindated with god knows what!!!!!

Nat's started her copy of Harry Potter. You never know you may see me reading it on board QM2!!!!!

Elaine

Hi Grace,

I have sent you a private email.

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for the details regarding parking at Southampton,I will give them a call on Monday.Once I have sorted the parking and booked transport to Heathrow I will have peace of mind.

Pleased to hear that you are feeling better.I am always tired,I feel I have spent all my life being tired,I blamed it on the children keeping me busy when they were little,then on work,then on the menopause,and now it's old age!!

I find it quite difficult to sit still,I am always busy doing useless tasks,or so my husband says.

Grace.

Grace W

If you go to their website and click on the parking services it brings up prices for a number of days. That will give you some idea of how much it is going to cost you. We always end up taking two cars!! Need to take two as we have that much luggage. The passengers who are on for just the crossing will think we are mad when we turn up with about 14 pieces of normal luggage, without the hand luggage!!!!!! They won't realise we are on for nearly 4 weeks!!!!!!!!

Elaine

Hi Elaine and GraceW,

Wow Elaine....lots of luggage! Would you believe that we went on a 21 day this past Feb and had only 2 suitcases (the roll aboard type too) total? I learned to travel light when I had to lug my own suitcases around myself. (traveling with a group of ladies).

On our last cruise , the 21 day, we used the laundry service on the ship by just putting our soiled clothes in a bag and giving to the room attendant. Magically, they appeared clean! My motto is..."if it doesn't fit, I must forget" applying it to the suitcase I can manage myself. But, in your case (no trains, planes, etc) I would probably take a lot more too. It pains me when I have to leave a favorite outfit in the reject pile!!!

Grace: I did get your e mail, thank you for the info. Incidentally, the agent you refered to sends me emails all the time with some really good prices. I was going to book this cruise with them, but thought I would just check with my regular TA to see if she could match the price, and she did. But, in the future, I may switch to VTG as my TA may retire. Good to know they do a good job.

Your island is one I always wanted to visit, and we passed up the opportunity once while visiting Ireland. Maybe sometime......

I did lose your address via email...something happened to all my inbox items sent recently.

GraceC

Hi Grace C and Grace W

I'd be interested in the agent that used in the US Grace. You can e mail me at elaine61@fsmail.net if you wouldn't mind. Could you do it all via internet and e mail or did you have to telephone??

Grace C

Unfortunately, we seem to get more and more and as you say this is the beauty of travelling to and from Southampton. No flights to worry about. As I said the kids went away one for 2 weeks and the other for 1 week and both were over the limit!!!!!! I did breath a sigh of relief though when they allowed it on board. I'd have been embarrased if we had to go through taking stuff out!!!!!

Natalie cannot be seen in the same outfit twice!! If I'm honest she does brush up very nicely!!! I have told her we are unlikely to bump into the same people on each leg, but she's having none of it.

Still shopping for clothes. It's sale time here at the moment so no chance of looking for anything half decent so will wait for the sales to finish and begin looking again!!

Elaine

Hello Elaine,

I have just booked the parking at Southampton.No problems.We will be leaving the car on the 20th Sept and the Queen Mary will be in port.It will be nice to have a look at her before we board in New York.This must be the day that you embark.

Life is still a bit hectic,maybe things will improve when my daughter and the baby return home on Wednesday.I am sure I will never catch up on all the washing,a good job I have someone to do the ironing for me.

I took my daughter to two local events and guess what I won a raffle at both of them,only small items but a least lady luck is smiling on me.

Grace.

Archived