Another Galveston Question - July 4th

oregon3373

One thing I did not think about before booking our July 6th cruise out of Galveston...

July 4th weekend on the Island = Expensive... (Silly me). (Although airfares were pretty good )

We have never been to Galveston before so I thought this would be really cool.... But when a two star hotel is asking nearly 300 dollars a night... yikes.

I am searching Hot Wire... starting to see some things drop.. A couple of questions.

1) League City ? Is this an option? Anything to do there?

2) I would think Galveston would have some pretty cool Fireworks .. Can any of the locals give me an idea if the do this... and where...

3) Any other suggestions? We have two days to hang out.. Trying to figure out where to stay, Airport Transportation etc is getting Taxing...

Another thought.. Stay in Houston for a couple of days... I would imagine there might be some good fourth of july activities?

Help a West Coast person navigate please...

We live in DFW but my guess is you will have a tough time getting anything closer to Galveston this close to the 4th for much less than the cost on the island. Besides, once you get off the island there is not much to see/do other than Houston. Personally, I would just stay in Houston. There is more to see and do (maybe even the Astros is you like "borderline MLB baseball"...tickets should be easy to get if they are in town).

It looks like you are from Oregon...ever been to Southeast Texas in July?

If not, be prepared for HOT and HUMID weather...just drink a lot of water. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Galveston Cruiser! We leave Houston and go to Galveston for 4th of July! We love the fireworks off the Seawall but also out on the west end since we have a beach house there. Have you checked out the hotels that have shuttles to the cruise ships? I know La Quinta does. The hotels jack up their prices during the summer and holidays, for sure. Galveston.com has hotels, and under real estate, beach house rentals. VRBO also has great beach houses. Price the hotels on the sea wall on Galveston.com and then compare them on Kayak or Expedia, etc. Good luck!

Have you looked in the Clear Lake/Kemah Area? It is between Houston and Galveston off of I45. You would definitely need a rental car though. The Kemah Boardwalk (just google it) area is fun. It's close to Space Center Houston so there are tons of hotels there, but probably much less than Galveston. Might be worth a look.

Thanks for everyones input and suggestions. I am almost at the 90 day away from sailing so better get serious.

After much research... The Inn at the Water park has some "really" reasonable prices.. I know it is rated a two star so my expectations will remain as such but does anyone have info on this hotel? Is it clean? obviously it is next to the water park which is a bonus for the family... Is this a fairly good central location to easily get around to the rest of Galveston?

The price is 106.00 per night (priceline) this compared to 220 for Super 8... 280 for Courtyard... I kind of like the price...

Thanks for input.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for everyones input and suggestions. I am almost at the 90 day away from sailing so better get serious.

After much research... The Inn at the Water park has some "really" reasonable prices.. I know it is rated a two star so my expectations will remain as such but does anyone have info on this hotel? Is it clean? obviously it is next to the water park which is a bonus for the family... Is this a fairly good central location to easily get around to the rest of Galveston?

The price is 106.00 per night (priceline) this compared to 220 for Super 8... 280 for Courtyard... I kind of like the price...

Thanks for input.

Well hello Salem-ite!! Small world, isn't it? Hey, please post a review of the hotel when you get back. I just "blind" booked one night thru Hotwire for $76 and am a bit worried BUT considering everything else in the area is $125 and up, I'm happy.

Happy sailing!

Gina

Several of the posts above have great ideas. We are in kind of the same boat (no pun intended ;), ok maybe) in November. There is a motorcycle rally in Galveston the weekend we leave and the hotel rates went through the roof and I can't even book a room with Hilton the weekend we are wanting to go. We decided to book the Hilton right down from the space center and will be checking out the space center and the Kemah Boardwalk which is close by. It wouldn't be that bad of a drive to go into Galveston from the Kemah area to see the fireworks.

• 2 weeks later...

we have cruised out of Galveston multiple times and our favorite place to stay is Inn at the waterpark. they have free mini golf, pool, breakfast, wifi and free parking and shuttle to pier. I hope y'all have an awesome time on your cruises additionally they are located right next to Moody Gardens which has some fantastic educational activities and restaurants in it. Have fun.