NOLA Embark. Day:Carry-on luggage and smartphone question

buffkids

I want to start by saying I've never been on a cruise, so there's a lot I'm trying to wrap my head around. We are leaving out of New Orleans on March 23, and I have two very specific - and possibly dumb - questions about embarkation.

1) I understand I can't bring on cases of beverages in New Orleans unless they are packed into my luggage. I am considering bringing a rolling European-style shopping bag (I am trying to attach a picture, but not sure if it will work) as a carry on so that I can bring on soda, water, and coffee creamer. Is it ridiculous to take something like this as a carry on? I don't know how hard it will be to get it through security or to roll it around until I can get to my room. Would there be a place I can leave it until my room is ready? We plan to get on late - only a couple of hours before we are scheduled to leave port, if that would matter.

and 2) about data and my phone - I have gathered the importance of turning off my smart phone data services in order to avoid any data fees that will be incurred while my phone tries to connect to the ship's wifi. It sounds like the ship's wifi is automatically on, so that my phone will connect - and I will be charged - if I am in a mode that allows data usage at all. My question is, when does the ship's wifi kick in? Can I be on my phone until we pull away, or do I need to have the data turned off the moment I walk onto the ship? My husband's phone has unlimited data - can he keep it on all the time, or will we get charged somehow from NCL? I've read all I can on the topic, but some of the language is confusing and I don't want to make assumptions and then get smacked with a huge bill from the ship or from my carrier.

Thank you - I'm sure more dumb quesitons will be coming!

Capture.jpg.5877ef0ac9dc6a9e970108b99e95eac0.jpg

Unlimited data will not work on the ship. Pretty much all plans and bets are off once you are using the ships system.

As to your phone or anything else using the WIFI. It will not happen without you knowing it as you have to log with a password. (the system will prompt you to set one up the first time to use it)

Soda, etc. Roll aboard will be fine.

New Orleans is one of the ports that you cannot put a luggage tag on you soda and check it. You can carry it with you or in a roll aboard. They will have a room to check your carry on when you board. But, if you are boarding late, the rooms are usually ready by about 1-2 pm and you can go straight there.

Unlimited data is fine for your carrier, but NCL will charge you for both phone calls and data used. Best to turn the phones off. You will be able to see on your phone when it switches to NCL. Going down the river for the first several hours you remain connected to your carrier as there are cell towers for the communities along the river.

It depends on the porter as to whether or not they will take your sodas. We've been told we have to carry them on even when we'd put room tags on them. So we had to lug them with us to lunch while we were waiting for our room to be ready. BTW-grab lunch in the dining room instead of the buffet on embarkation day-less crowded and better food:)

As to the phone, to err on the side of caution, we put our phones in airplane mode. That way you are sure it's not checking for email or anything else. International charges can be EXPENSIVE! Besides, you're on vacation. Put the phone down and enjoy yourself!

You only need to ensure that roaming is disabled.

If this is turned off (and probably already is) you should not incur additional costs as you can only download data on your home network.

Check with your provider as to the cost to receive make calls on a ship. The cost to receive may not be that high.

So perhaps leave it on with roaming disabled and answer any important calls, but do not make any.

As always check with your provider on their costs both on the ship and at any ports of call.

We are also on your cruise next week! We have two rolling wine carriers that we use to carry on wine and soda. This will be our 5th out of Nola and I never have had success checking in drinks. Good luck! See you on the ship. I'll be the one with the two bright redheaded kids in tow age 6 and 3. Cannnot wait!

Is it ridiculous to take something like this as a carry on? I don't know how hard it will be to get it through security or to roll it around until I can get to my room. Would there be a place I can leave it until my room is ready? We plan to get on late - only a couple of hours before we are scheduled to leave port, if that would matter.

Sounds like everyone has answered your questions well, but thought I'd pipe in too, just using different words. :D I've always had to carry my own drinks in NOLA too, so it's not ridiculous at all. If you're getting on late, chances are very good that your room will be ready and you can go directly to it. If not, I recommend going to the main dining room for lunch; it'll be nice and calm, and you can set your luggage off to the side while you have a peaceful lunch. One of the MDRs is always open for lunch on embarkation day.

and 2) about data and my phone - I have gathered the importance of turning off my smart phone data services in order to avoid any data fees that will be incurred while my phone tries to connect to the ship's wifi. It sounds like the ship's wifi is automatically on, so that my phone will connect - and I will be charged - if I am in a mode that allows data usage at all. My question is, when does the ship's wifi kick in? Can I be on my phone until we pull away, or do I need to have the data turned off the moment I walk onto the ship? My husband's phone has unlimited data - can he keep it on all the time, or will we get charged somehow from NCL? I've read all I can on the topic, but some of the language is confusing and I don't want to make assumptions and then get smacked with a huge bill from the ship or from my carrier.

As others said, you won't be connected to the ship's wifi unless you set up an account and actively log on. Not sure what kind of smart phone you have, but for my iPhone, I turn wifi off (to save battery life since I won't need wifi), make sure Data Roaming is off, and that's about it for me. I want to be able to receive phone calls and texts. If you don't want to get calls/texts, airplane mode is a great option. I've had pretty good luck with getting email through the cell towers all the way down the Mississippi. But once you're off the land cell towers and only have Cellular at Sea as your provider, your phone shouldn't download any email etc as long as you don't have any data roaming services turned on your phone.

When I get into a port, I usually turn my wifi on and look for any free signals (rare but sometimes it happens!) so I can get on Facebook and make my friends jealous.

Enjoy your first cruise! Be warned, it's quite addictive!!

Edited by 3dogsrule

I want to start by saying I've never been on a cruise, so there's a lot I'm trying to wrap my head around. . . We plan to get on late - only a couple of hours before we are scheduled to leave port . . .

Not a question you asked, but be VERY CAREFUL you're too late to check in.

Your cruise papers will state the cutoff time that you MUST be CHECKED IN for your cruise. Being at the terminal or in the terminal or standing in line for security or the check in line DOES NOT count.

The cruise line is required BY LAW to cutoff checking in passengers at the specified time -- NO EXCEPTIONS. I think it's 2 hours before but not sure so be sure you verify New Orleans departure.