transportation to pier

cibaygirls

I will be staying at the Renaissance by LAX in May before our cruise. The hotel does not offer a shuttle to the port; is taking a cab the best way to get to the port, or are there better options such as a shuttle company we could use. There are only 2 of us. Thanks

Dana

I will be staying at the Renaissance by LAX in May before our cruise. The hotel does not offer a shuttle to the port; is taking a cab the best way to get to the port, or are there better options such as a shuttle company we could use. There are only 2 of us. Thanks

Dana

Dana,

Taxis are fairly unpredictable as to cost...

A shared shuttle should cost around $38 (SuperShuttle) to the pier...a towncar from ExecuCar Express, $47...

The problem with a shared shuttle is that sometimes you make multiple stops picking up or dropping off other people...With the small price difference, go with SuperShuttle's Execucar...You'll have your own car and door-to-door service at a rate you probably can't beat with a taxi...

Of course, the big question is why stay at LAX? There is nothing really there to speak of...The Renaissance is off by itself amidst long term parking lots and industrial buildings...There aren't any restaurants to speak of other than the hotel restaurant...

You are on Princess, correct? Why not get a ride directly to San Pedro right after you arrive and stay at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree...and relax...and not have to deal with getting to the port in the morning except for a short free hotel shuttle?

I agree with Steve. I would only stay by the airport is if I had an early flight the next day.

Even if you get into LA 10pm or after, traffic should be lighter so you can jump into a Super Shuttle outside the terminal and it'll be a short (maybe 20 minutes) trip to a hotel in San Pedro. The next morning, you can sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast (you can walk around SP, and you can't do that around the airport and feel safe), and the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza will shuttle you to the port in a short trip (while you'll get caught in rush hour traffic trying to get to the port from the LAX area).

Ahhhh.. Thanks guys. I am not really sure why I am staying by the airport. I just booked the cruise, have never cruised from West coast before. My TA was trying to get us into a Marriott through Princess but that was waitlisted so she booked us into the Renaissance by the airport for $119.

My flight arrives into LAX around 1PM. So I am getting the sense it is better to stay somewhere closer to San Pedro, take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then cab from the hotel to the pier (or hopefully we will find a room somewhere where there is a hotel shuttle to the pier).

I am just not sure if we will find a hotel around San Pedro for that price, but am I correct in assuming that in the end, with the money we save in taking a car service from hotel by LAX to the port we might be closer to breaking even, and have less hassle with travel the morning of the cruise.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Dana

Ahhhh.. Thanks guys. I am not really sure why I am staying by the airport. I just booked the cruise, have never cruised from West coast before. My TA was trying to get us into a Marriott through Princess but that was waitlisted so she booked us into the Renaissance by the airport for $119.

My flight arrives into LAX around 1PM. So I am getting the sense it is better to stay somewhere closer to San Pedro, take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then cab from the hotel to the pier (or hopefully we will find a room somewhere where there is a hotel shuttle to the pier).

I am just not sure if we will find a hotel around San Pedro for that price, but am I correct in assuming that in the end, with the money we save in taking a car service from hotel by LAX to the port we might be closer to breaking even, and have less hassle with travel the morning of the cruise.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Dana

You might even do better on the price by trying Priceline...Just keep it to 3.5 stars and San Pedro. There are only TWO hotels in San Pedro that match that description--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree.

But, here's the deal: If you arrive at 1:00 pm at LAX, pick up your luggage and wait for the hotel shuttle to the Renaissance, you'll probably be checking in around 2:00...with all afternoon and evening to kill and nowhere to go...You likely just relax, then eat at the unsatisfying hotel restaurant. My recommended alternative, if you are stuck there is to get a Taxi over to the Venice Boardawalk at Washington Blvd, take a walk along the Boardwalk and back, then eat dinner at C& O Trattoria on Washington at the beach (great little restaurant, garlic rolls to die for)...then taxi back to the hotel...It gives you a little something to do, a better dinner, but also runs you up some taxi costs. The next morning, you have to hassle with checking out and getting transportation to San Pedro--20 miles away...If you use the Princess transfer, you've got to get over to their hotel--a couple of blocks from the Renaissance, then deal with 40 people loading on a bus and a lot of waiting around and with their schedule...and the cost is no bargain...

My plan: Arrive LAX at 1:00, collect your luggage and get a shuttle or car service to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro (or Doubletree). Check in there. Say you are in and settled by 2:30, you now have the afternoon to stroll around San Pedro, walk down to the waterfront /Ports o' Call...maybe go tour the USS Iowa/MAritime Museum, etc. Have dinner at one of the many nice little restaurants in Downtown San Pedro (I am partial to the San Pedro Brewing Company, but there are several others as well, depending on what you'd like to eat). In the morning, you could sleep in, relax, grab a coffee or a bagel somewhere...and check out late and have the hotel shuttle you (free) to the ship. You won't worry about timing or logistics or traffic (The Crowne Plaza is really walking distance from the pier, though, with luggage, you will want to use the hotels' free shuttle...

Bruin Steve you have me sold!! Thanks to both you and cruisin chick

I have already cancelled my Renaissance reservation. I tried bidding on Priceline and did not get a room for what I wanted. As I am now in super excited planning mode and just want to have something booked, I have booked the Best Western Suites in San Pedro. I have already looked into Super shuttle. I will keep an eye on priceline and see if I can get either of those 2 hotels in the next week or so for a comparable price and if so I will change my reservation accordingly.

I am already excited now as staying in that area will certainly feel much more like a start to my 40th birthday vacation than staying by the airport!!

(plus I love the sound of the brewing company, especially being able to stroll around)!!!!

Dana

Edited by cibaygirls

Bruin Steve you have me sold!! Thanks to both you and cruisin chick

I have already cancelled my Renaissance reservation. I tried bidding on Priceline and did not get a room for what I wanted. As I am now in super excited planning mode and just want to have something booked, I have booked the Best Western Suites in San Pedro. I have already looked into Super shuttle. I will keep an eye on priceline and see if I can get either of those 2 hotels in the next week or so for a comparable price and if so I will change my reservation accordingly.

I am already excited now as staying in that area will certainly feel much more like a start to my 40th birthday vacation than staying by the airport!!

(plus I love the sound of the brewing company, especially being able to stroll around)!!!!

Dana

Dana,

I really hope you can find your way in to the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree...

The Best Western Suites really isn't as nice a hotel or in a great location...It's on Gaffey Street near where the 110 Freeway dumps out. A lot of traffic, not a lot of stuff near there worth much...

OTOH, the CP is in the heart of the nicer part of downtown San Pedro...where all of the restaurants are and a closer walk down to the waterfront...The Doubletree is on the water, down at the small boat marina...the 22nd Street Landing seafood restaurant is nearby...and the hotel will shuttle you elsewhere in San Pedro...

I would even pay a little more to stay in one of those...

Hi Dana! I agree with Steve :).

We've stayed at both of the hotel's he mentioned (Doubletree and Crown Plaza). We liked the Crown Plaza best. They also have a shuttle to the San Pedro port and to local spots.

P.S. I've been on here a while, and "Bruin Steve" is one of the most helpful California poster's I've seen. You can pretty much count on his suggestions :)!

Edited by Plant

Thank you.. it appears the doubletree has no more rooms available, and I am trying to bid on the CP for a similar price (right now rooms are $250 which is $100 more than what we are paying). While I would like to switch, I am going to see if I can get it cheaper through a bid.

Bruin Steve, if you have any suggestions for must dos in San Francisco or Santa Barbara I am all ears:D. I am looking to do a winery tour in one of the ports.

Dana

Thank you.. it appears the doubletree has no more rooms available, and I am trying to bid on the CP for a similar price (right now rooms are $250 which is $100 more than what we are paying). While I would like to switch, I am going to see if I can get it cheaper through a bid.

Bruin Steve, if you have any suggestions for must dos in San Francisco or Santa Barbara I am all ears:D. I am looking to do a winery tour in one of the ports.

Dana

Have you been to San Francisco or Santa Barbara before?

You can do a winery tour from either port...

The famous Napa Valley is about an hour to an hour and a half north of San Francisco (depending on route/traffic). Lots of wineries to visit there. If you don't go to the wineries, there are lots of other things to do and see in San Francisco...Boat tours to Alcatraz are popular, for example. The City itself has lots of picturesque and fun areas--Lombard Street, Chinatown, Fishermans Wharf...

The Southern California Wine country popularized by the movie "Sideways" is the Santa Ynez Valley, just north of Santa Barbara (about 30-40 minutes via the scenic San Marcos pass. Also in this area is the charming little Danish town of Solvang.

There are several companies that specialize in wine tours out of Santa Barbara that come highly recommended:

http://www.deetoursofsb.com/

http://www.sustainablevine.com/

http://www.gogrape.com/santabarbara/

http://www.santabarbarabackroads.com/

http://www.ccjeeps.com/

I would contact a few of these and see what they could set up for you, what price, wheter you need to put together your own group, etc. Some also may be able to set up a tour that would hit sites other than just the wineries.

I am not as familiar with tour providers in San Francisco for the Napa Valley, but I know there are several of them.

And definitely make sure the Princess shuttle/transfer is cancelled.

What was funny (well, several months later) was when I got an email from Princess a couple of months before our cruise in December 2012 telling me I need to tell them my flight and hotel info for the transfer. What? I called Princess right away and said I live in the North Valley (not too a long of a car ride to Princess HQs) and certainly didn't need to be picked up from any airport. Even went on their Facebook page and said that if someone doesn't ask for a transfer, Princess shouldn't be automatically charging for one (which apparently it was the default according to them). What was even more ridiculous is that I'd booked through Princess directly and the booking agent even laughed that I'll have a short trip to the port. So now I have to keep a mental note: 1) mark our cabin no upgrade and 2) tell 'em no shuttle needed.

• 9 months later...
Dana,

Taxis are fairly unpredictable as to cost...

A shared shuttle should cost around $38 (SuperShuttle) to the pier...a towncar from ExecuCar Express, $47...

The problem with a shared shuttle is that sometimes you make multiple stops picking up or dropping off other people...With the small price difference, go with SuperShuttle's Execucar...You'll have your own car and door-to-door service at a rate you probably can't beat with a taxi...

Of course, the big question is why stay at LAX? There is nothing really there to speak of...The Renaissance is off by itself amidst long term parking lots and industrial buildings...There aren't any restaurants to speak of other than the hotel restaurant...

You are on Princess, correct? Why not get a ride directly to San Pedro right after you arrive and stay at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree...and relax...and not have to deal with getting to the port in the morning except for a short free hotel shuttle?

Update on the Crowne shuttle service to the cruise terminal. The hotel is now charging $5 per person one way.