Vancouver Dragon boat race

Hi,

We are staying in Vancouver for a couple of days after our Alaskan cruise and I see it will be the weekend of the Dragon boat race, June 21st - 23rd.

I'm wondering how it will affect our sightseeing plans.

We'll have all day Saturday after disembarking, all day Sunday, and Monday until we need to head to the airport around 3pm and I was hoping to cover the HOHO trolley, Stanley Park, Granville Island and a walk around Gastown and China Town. While we don't mind seeing some of the dragon boat race, I wouldn't want to spend so much time there, or get caught up in crowds, that we can't see the other sights.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how we can best use our time and whether the race will impact on our plans?

We are staying at the PP.

Many thanks

Beth :)

Dragon Boat races are usually held down by the Telus science center (commonly called the Golf Ball). There is to much traffic near Granville Island

for the races to be held. Granville Island will probably have the usual Sat & Sun crowds.

As a volunteer for the Dragon Boat festival the last 7 years there are no road closures required to hold the races.

The False Creek seawall from the Cambie street bridge to its end at Science world and the Village on False Creek - the former Olympic village will be more congested but it will be foot traffic.

The highest concentration of people will be from the south side of Science world around to the Creekside Community Center bit even then it isn't that hard to get through.

All of the other tourist areas you mention aren't affected by the races.

If you do stop for a look - look down to the docks where the boats are loaded/unloaded - if you see an older, grey haired, eye glass wearing guy helping with the boats it might be me.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and your time in Vancouver.

Cheers!

Dennis