Sailing from San Juan on the Valor

M_GO_BLUE

Does anyone know of any stores around the port where I can purchase microbrews, or at least decent commercial grade brews, to take onboard?

How relaxed is security regarding bringing beer versus the allowed bottle of wine?

Also, we have FTTF...does early boarding send your checked bags to your room more quickly or are you more likely to have your bag sent to the naughty room because you're one of the first ones there, and you may have beer in your bag?

Is it better to just put beer in the carry on versus the checked bag?

Sorry, so many questions. First cruise, both hubby and I drink beer, and it looks like the onboard selections are mediocre at best. We live in a state where microbrews are good and plentiful! :-)

Come on, June!!!

Sailed out of OSJ last spring break. Security is super lax in SJ. Show them you have it and then they'll send you to a table to check it. Just don't go to the table. Walk past. Now, it is a bunch of glass bottles so don't expect to be able to carry many! Easier to get liquor or bottles of wine on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would give you the answers to all these questions... but Michigan just beat Ohio State in B1G tournament... so I'm a little bitter right now....

Just wait until football season!!!

:cool:

Lol! GO BLUE! :)

Hello fellow Michigander!

My husband and I were just on the February 23rd sailing on the Valor out of San Juan. We spent a couple of days in Old San Juan prior to the cruise. If you're into microbrews as we are, then Cafe San Sebastián (was called La Taberna Lupulo) on Calle San Sebastián is a place not to miss. They have around 50 beers on tap with 2-3x's that in bottles. When we were there they had a couple of Bells and Founders on their tap list! My husband believes you can buy bottles from them "to go".

We did not have FTTF, but we were on the boat having lunch around 12:30. Our room was ready by 1, so we dropped our stuff off, got off of the boat and hiked it back up the hill to Cafe San Sebastián again. When we initially got on the boat and again later on in the early evening, we had beer and Gasolinas in our carry-on and went through security without difficulties. We just brought everything right to our room.

Have a great cruise! We do like "Go Blue", but our daughter graduated from MSU so sometimes we have to say "Go Green" as well!:)

Hello fellow Michigander!

My husband and I were just on the February 23rd sailing on the Valor out of San Juan. We spent a couple of days in Old San Juan prior to the cruise. If you're into microbrews as we are, then Cafe San Sebastián (was called La Taberna Lupulo) on Calle San Sebastián is a place not to miss. They have around 50 beers on tap with 2-3x's that in bottles. When we were there they had a couple of Bells and Founders on their tap list! My husband believes you can buy bottles from them "to go".

We did not have FTTF, but we were on the boat having lunch around 12:30. Our room was ready by 1, so we dropped our stuff off, got off of the boat and hiked it back up the hill to Cafe San Sebastián again. When we initially got on the boat and again later on in the early evening, we had beer and Gasolinas in our carry-on and went through security without difficulties. We just brought everything right to our room.

Have a great cruise! We do like "Go Blue", but our daughter graduated from MSU so sometimes we have to say "Go Green" as well!:)

Thanks for the tip! Where in da UP are you? I go up every summer. Beautiful and relaxing.

Tough loss today to little brother, but it was a good game anyway.

We live outside of Houghton. Summer is a great time in the U.P.! Definitely looking forward to summer this year, it's been a long winter, we've had over 250" of snow so far this year with another 8-10 expected tmrw and Wednesday. Being on the Valor was a nice break from the weather.

If you have time definitely explore Old San Juan, it's a great place!

Might need to cheer for MSU and Coach Izzo since he's a fellow Yooper!

We live outside of Houghton. Summer is a great time in the U.P.! Definitely looking forward to summer this year, it's been a long winter, we've had over 250" of snow so far this year with another 8-10 expected tmrw and Wednesday. Being on the Valor was a nice break from the weather.

If you have time definitely explore Old San Juan, it's a great place!

Might need to cheer for MSU and Coach Izzo since he's a fellow Yooper!

I have been to the Keweenaw Brewing Co a few times...I have a couple growlers that get refilled when I go there. Good times, good brews. I can get some of their canned beer locally in the Kalamazoo area, so that's nice.

I'm looking forward to summer, too. All my spare time is devoted to daydreaming about vacation. I'm so over this polar vortex Arctic tundra weather! We've had a lot of snow this winter as well. I'm sure not as much as you, but it has been a brutal season. That being said, summer and autumn in Michigan are amazing.

Definitely going to explore OSJ. Looks like a neat place. We are coming to Puerto Rico 3 days early and staying in a beach condo near El Yunque. Hoping to do some exploring of the rainforest and the beaches of Culebra. Kids want to zipline, so we will probably do that too. I'd like to try surf lessons, but we shall see.

Nice chatting with you!

I only root for Sparty when they're playing ND or those hillbillies from Columbus. ;-)