Anyone used/using carnival planners to wed on Island Port?

:Hello all,

Wondering if anyone here has chosen to wed on an Island port and used Carnival's on shore packages or did you use an independent Island planner? I am not sure if they are reliable and I don't like Carnival's only Island package it does not seem to offer much. I would also like a reception, not sure if back on the ship or on shore. Any advice or experience would be great to hear!

We are looking at the Valor sailing f/ PR August 17,2014

Thanks!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of views no responses. Its ok I'll just write my questions and if anyone feels they can help feel free to do so. So I am looking to wed on Carnival Valor 8/17/14- yes short notice wedding!- our cruise is booked we have told family members and friends. We want a ceremony on St. Thomas and have looked into Island Bliss. Janelle quickly wrote back and sent us some packages to review.

Now some questions to those that have use this planning service:

:)

Did you use their photographer or book your own?

How were the pictures?

We are looking into Villa Botainca for the reception in case of rainy weather?

Anyone else use this location?

Next would be transporting guests from the ship to the location? Was this a per person charge?

Another concern- our guests are flying into San Juan and are spending a pretty penny to share our wedding experience. My BF is concerned about the expenses of being on a cruise such as, paying extra for drinks, excursions etc. Did any of you offer your guests special treats, gifts or excursions as a way of thanking them?

Thanks to all!

Steffylis:)

Hi steffylis, I cannot give personal experience advice yet because I have had my wedding yet, but I have done plenty of research. From what I'm reading Janelle from island bliss has become very popular in the last few years with cruise recipients. I assume this means she is very good. If you read through these boards you will find a few reviews. There are other vendors you can use, wedding the island way, Leslie at perfect weddings of St. Thomas, Deb at beach weddings by deb, tropical weddings vi. There are also hotels that host weddings such as the Marriott or Wyndham.

Some of the packages offered by vendors include transportation for a certain amount of guests otherwise the price could range anywhere from 25pp - 45pp

Janelle has a photographer that she uses, but if you don't like them you can use another photographer for an addition cost

From what I have seen in photos Villa Botonica looks beautiful

Of course we want to make our guests feel appreciated if they take time out to attend our wedding. There are many different options. Personally for me it would not be very cost effective if I purchase excursions for all the guest that attend, however if you do plan to do that it would make a great wedding favor. I have seen many different ways of saying thank you. A common gift is the tote bag stuffed with cruise essentials, such as sunburn ointment, Advil, tums, mirrors, gum, candy, etc. I've also seen many personalized gifts, such as tee shirts, cups, sandals, towels, wine bottle, etc. Some hosts contact the group department and host a cocktail party either pre or post wedding.

I have to say the options are limitless. Hope this helps a bit.

<3 Crystal

Hi steffylis!

I am getting married in July 06th....short notice too...

I am trying to book everything directly with Carnival. We try another choices too, other vendors in the Island. But we don't want to take any chances due to a short notice. We are leaving from Tampa and having the wedding in Cozumel, at Mr Sanchos!

I am getting married on St. Thomas through Janelle with Island Bliss Wedding on TUESDAY!!!! (wow time flies!) :D:D

We went all out and are doing the ultimate cruise ship wedding experience with an beach wedding upgrade (on Magen's Bay) and the reception at Villa Botanica. I have had my ups and downs with Janelle but feel that she was on top of her game by the time everything had to come together. At times I definitely felt like I was one of the many (she got some information jumbled up mid way through the planning) but felt like she handled everything really well when it was that final few week crunch.

We opted to go with Elisha Orin for our photographer, if you do one of Janelle's packages that include photography remember that this is a "semi" professional. If it is included and you want to do a different photographer you will get a credit to your package.

Our transportation costs we very expensive, I had transportation included in my package from ship to villa botanica and back. Since we added Megan's Bay it added 20-25 bucks extra for each person.

I hope you find everything you are looking for!!!

in addition to my post above.... what we are doing special for our guests:

1) our awesome wedding :D:D

2) we booked out half of the steakhouse for a "rehearsal" dinner and an hour long cocktail hour beforehand couple of days before the wedding

3) made up gift bags (coolers) stuffed with little goodies. extra sunscreen, aloe, Advil, lotions, hair frizz stuff, antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer, bug spray wipes, lint roller, tissues, chap stick (other stuff I cant think of)

4) (most importantly) an excuse to take a vacation! Its crazy how people haven't taken vacations for years and their only reason was because they had nothing to do! idk how many people jumped on the bandwagon when we just mentioned it before deciding to do this!

4) (most importantly) an excuse to take a vacation! Its crazy how people haven't taken vacations for years and their only reason was because they had nothing to do! idk how many people jumped on the bandwagon when we just mentioned it before deciding to do this!

Exactly why we thought this was a great option! A lot of our friends are single and therefore don't vacation because they don't want to go alone. It is a great excuse for them to vacation with us.

:D

Hi, we got married in St Thomas in May 2013, We used Janelle...absolutely fantastic...not one complaint....photographer we used was Elisha Oris....she is such a sweet person and definitely captured us on our day...We actually chose Villa Botanica for our wedding venue, (I know I know what?? not on the beach?lol) had the ceremony there in the building and pictures around the grounds and had the bar open. It is absolutely stunning the views from up on the mountain.Our transportation was arranged thru Janelle...I believe at that time it was $20 per person return.

We looked at the cost of the independent vs on island planner and didn't like that there was less offered but had to pay more thru the ship planners...and it seemed very rigid...which wasnt what we envisioned.

I wouldn't change a thing about our day...there is a link to my review in my signature...feel free to ask questions :)

Good Luck and happy Planning :)

Edited by jaxie001

• 5 weeks later...
Hi steffylis!

I am getting married in July 06th....short notice too...

I am trying to book everything directly with Carnival. We try another choices too, other vendors in the Island. But we don't want to take any chances due to a short notice. We are leaving from Tampa and having the wedding in Cozumel, at Mr Sanchos!

Hi Jusilva,

Congratulations! that is very quick notice. Thank you for replying. My plans have gotten quite messy since I wrote, many people particularly family, are not able to attend. Since we are having a church ceremony in NY, my family decided to have a small reception which has turned into a regular reception. It has put my cruise wedding in jeopardy. I have contacted Carnival about having a reception, but I rather have it on the beach. I have since contacted Island bliss and Blue sky weddings f/ St. Thomas. I have to see which is worth the extra cash for those few friends attending our cruise reception. It has not been a happy or blissful experience thus far, but its getting better. The groom was upset about changing our original plans and is not happy at all about the extra expenses that add up quickly. Hence, why we wanted the cruise wedding to begin with.

I will post any further details as they develop. Happy planning to you!

Steff:)

Hi, we got married in St Thomas in May 2013, We used Janelle...absolutely fantastic...not one complaint....photographer we used was Elisha Oris....she is such a sweet person and definitely captured us on our day...We actually chose Villa Botanica for our wedding venue, (I know I know what?? not on the beach?lol) had the ceremony there in the building and pictures around the grounds and had the bar open. It is absolutely stunning the views from up on the mountain.Our transportation was arranged thru Janelle...I believe at that time it was $20 per person return.

We looked at the cost of the independent vs on island planner and didn't like that there was less offered but had to pay more thru the ship planners...and it seemed very rigid...which wasnt what we envisioned.

I wouldn't change a thing about our day...there is a link to my review in my signature...feel free to ask questions :)

Good Luck and happy Planning :)

Hi Jaxie,

thanks so much for sharing your experience. I definitely want an Island wedding and was not please with the ship's package, why they don't have a better on Island wedding is beyond me. I also don't really like their reception package either. Since, we will be married by the time we get on board I'm looking to just have a reception. I was exchanging ideas with Janelle but it seems she primarily focuses on ceremonies and I want a party! I will get back to her, once Im done planning my NYC wedding.

Thanks again for sharing!

This is one big happy family planning party!

Steff:o

1) our awesome wedding :D:D

2) we booked out half of the steakhouse for a "rehearsal" dinner and an hour long cocktail hour beforehand couple of days before the wedding

3) made up gift bags (coolers) stuffed with little goodies. extra sunscreen, aloe, Advil, lotions, hair frizz stuff, antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer, bug spray wipes, lint roller, tissues, chap stick (other stuff I cant think of)

Oh my goodness that sounds awesome! I don't know if I can provide good bags, i would definitely like to. Have to see how much I have left after my first wedding!

Thanks for sharing! :D

Hi steffylis, I cannot give personal experience advice yet because I have had my wedding yet, but I have done plenty of research. From what I'm reading Janelle from island bliss has become very popular in the last few years with cruise recipients. I assume this means she is very good. If you read through these boards you will find a few reviews. There are other vendors you can use, wedding the island way, Leslie at perfect weddings of St. Thomas, Deb at beach weddings by deb, tropical weddings vi. There are also hotels that host weddings such as the Marriott or Wyndham.

Some of the packages offered by vendors include transportation for a certain amount of guests otherwise the price could range anywhere from 25pp - 45pp

Janelle has a photographer that she uses, but if you don't like them you can use another photographer for an addition cost

From what I have seen in photos Villa Botonica looks beautiful

Of course we want to make our guests feel appreciated if they take time out to attend our wedding. There are many different options. Personally for me it would not be very cost effective if I purchase excursions for all the guest that attend, however if you do plan to do that it would make a great wedding favor. I have seen many different ways of saying thank you. A common gift is the tote bag stuffed with cruise essentials, such as sunburn ointment, Advil, tums, mirrors, gum, candy, etc. I've also seen many personalized gifts, such as tee shirts, cups, sandals, towels, wine bottle, etc. Some hosts contact the group department and host a cocktail party either pre or post wedding.

I have to say the options are limitless. Hope this helps a bit.

<3 Crystal

hi Crysta,

Yes this is very helpful thank you! I like the idea of wine bottle or cruise essentials. I will look into that.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Steff:)