Canadian credit card holder question

Hi there!

We just signed up for our online docs and our Set Sail Pass. At the bottom of the pass there was a paragraph about conversion rates ...

"If you use a MC or Visa issued outside the US in CAD the full amount of the charge will be converted to the currency of the card by our conversion agent at the exchange rate in effect at the time of the purcase and a currency conversion charge will be billed to your account....If you opt out of using our conversion agent the issuer of your card may still charge a service fee...."

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how much the 'conversion charge' is? Just curious....

Thanks!

G O O D L U C K

This topic sets my blood to a boil. Basically, my experience is that RCCL will do whatever they want, regardless of what you tell them to do, or whatever documents you sign to that effect. Depending who you talk to, the 'conversion charge' will vary. I went through this a few years back, and ended up dealing with half a dozen (or more) customer service agents, most of whom had no clue whatsoever what I was talking about. Supervisors included. I finally decided to opt out and signed off stating my wish. Once onboard, I verified this, and they had no record of it. I went through this ordeal again at the Purser's (and it was surprisingly an ordeal, taking more time than I would have thought), and they assured me that I opted out. Well, the long and short of it was that they did not opt me out and charged me anyhow :mad: I can't recall the rate they used, but it was more than my CC charged.

Thanks Jacquelyn!

Sounds like a money-making proposition to me! After hearing your story I'm not sure if it is worth the frustration to opt out....I'll have to see what kind of mood I am in when I get there LOL :cool:

We noted on our check-in forms (at the pier) that we wanted them to billus in US dollars and we mentioned it verbally when we got to the counter. They billed us in Canadian, as converted by them. The rate was not really off by much, if at all. you can't compare against the Bank of Canada rate, as your credit card company won't give you that great rate, either.

Archived