Article: 10 oddest cruise ship innovations

Highboy90

In 2013, major cruise lines are expected to welcome 17.6 million passengers — or more than double the number from just around a decade ago, according to the Cruise Lines International Association. On top of that, the lines also introduced new ships — 13 in 2012 alone and 167 since 2000. All that spells serious competition, with ships trying to offer adventures and amenities that set them apart from the rest. More...

Some might find this worth a read. :cool:

Some might find this worth a read. :cool:

Thanks for posting! Pretty interesting the different things other lines are offering.

This is my favorite...."Royal Caribbean is planning on introducing virtual balconies on its new or newly revamped ships."

Lol seriously? Virtual balconies?

Edited by MCAT48

IMO a very odd choice for NCL.

I think I would have chosen the "ice bar" or "the plank". Stage shows?

The article is "oddest" innovations. How are broadway shows odd?

I actually love the idea of the DCL video portholes. However, instead of recorded views they should show something from a live camera

Edited by sdmike

The article is "oddest" innovations. How are broadway shows odd?

I actually love the idea of the DCL video portholes. However, instead of recorded views they should show something from a live camera

Exactly!

Well that would be kind of cool, a live feed.

"a virtual window that is actually a video screen carrying live images of the view at sea or in port"

I guess I was under the impression that they meant it was "at that moment" views. Oh well.

Also found this about it.

"Video for this Virtual Porthole will be supplied by several real-time cameras located along the exterior of the ship. These cameras are synchronized with the portholes to which they feed video – the Virtual Portholes towards the front of the craft will display video from the forward cameras while those at the rear of the ship will show video from the aft cameras."