How do you plan for your cruise?

lbt43

Once you are booked, how do you organize what you are going to do in each port? I am struggling to decide what to do! In belize, I have narrowed it down to a excursion through the jungle with NCL. The other locations, I am still deciding.

Honduras

Cozumel and

Key West.

Any thoughts?

After I book the cruise, I live on CC! I study the port of departure for the best pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels. I then read the Ports of Call threads to determine which excursions look like the best fit for me....

I typically book 12-18 months out which gives me lots of time to plan and dream!! :o I've not been to any of the ports you've listed....but lots have! Just keep reading and you'll find a lot of information on here!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I concentrate on one port at a time and read, read, read about it. I usually start by reviewing the cruise line excursions since they are usually a good indication of what is popular to do in each port. But I don't necessarily book the excursion from the cruise line. That's part of the research to decide on alternatives for do-it-yourself and/or other tour providers. I keep a document will all my notes. One section per port.

I read a lot on CC and tripadvisor. On CC I look at the boards for ports and the reviews of my particular cruise and other cruises that visit the same port. There is so much good info on CC!

Having done a few cruises now, I know myself and pretty much narrow it down to private tours or DIY. We are a family of 5, so too many for a taxi. And I dislike being in a huge herd for ship's excursions. Private tours let us go at our own pace,

The only exception to that is if I plan to go somewhere far from the port and want to be really sure we will get back on time. Then I go with the ship's tour.

I also occasionally decide that a port is not worth spending a lot of $ on, and I budget it for the places I really want to do something special.

Good planning makes all the difference, especially when you have a short time in port. I have been really thrilled with how our last coule of cruise have turned out, thanks to the helpful information on CC.

After I book the cruise, I live on CC! I study the port of departure for the best pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels. I then read the Ports of Call threads to determine which excursions look like the best fit for me....

I typically book 12-18 months out which gives me lots of time to plan and dream!! :o I've not been to any of the ports you've listed....but lots have! Just keep reading and you'll find a lot of information on here!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Pretty much this