Will the Quantum feel cramped?

While I haven't cruised on an Oasis class ship, by all accounts they seem to have plenty of room for passengers. No one I've talked to felt cramped on these ships

The Quantum class ships will be 46 feet shorter and and 49 feet narrower. The shorter length doesn't bother me much. 49 feet of width at 1140 feet of length times sixteen decks is over 640,000 sq ft. With only 500 less passengers than Oasis class, this is a significant amount.

Anybody concerned?

While I haven't cruised on an Oasis class ship, by all accounts they seem to have plenty of room for passengers. No one I've talked to felt cramped on these ships

The Quantum class ships will be 46 feet shorter and and 49 feet narrower. The shorter length doesn't bother me much. 49 feet of width at 1140 feet of length times sixteen decks is over 640,000 sq ft. With only 500 less passengers than Oasis class, this is a significant amount.

Anybody concerned?

Hello. I haven't cruised on any of the Oasis class ships either, but I am sure that those ships are built big enough to support all of the people on the ship without the passengers feeling cramped. I, personally, would not be concerned about that. Hope this helps!

Anybody concerned?

Double Occupancy of Oasis is 5400. Double Occupancy of Quantum is 4100.

Royal Caribbean does well with the flow of passengers. I don't think it'll be an issue, at all.

Edited by hitaway4

Double Occupancy of Oasis is 5400. Double Occupancy of Quantum is 4100.

Royal Caribbean does well with the flow of passengers. I don't think it'll be an issue, at all.

I agree. Royal Caribbean has strengths and weaknesses like every other line, but designing good passenger flow is a profound strength. People gasped in horror when they heard that the Oasis could accommodate 6,000 guests, then realized that eventually realized when she entered service that the ship is brilliantly designed and doesn't feel any more crowded than ships half her size.

Best thing to do though if one is concerned about crowding is to avoid school vacation weeks / holiday cruises if possible. That's something I've learned the hard way.

Freedom class ships are about 42.49 GRT per passenger (double) while Quantum class ships are about 40.15 GRT per passenger (double). This isn't that big a different but a difference. When you include the loss of the Royal Promenade though (which counts as GRT even though it does not add any extra passenger space) you can expect the floor space per passenger to be about even if not higher on Quantum.

For comparison (double/max):

Sovereign Class: 31.52 / 26.77

Carnival Dream: 35.07 / 27.65

Enchantment: 36.82 / 30.37

NCL Breakaway: 36.93 / 32.58

Grandeur: 37.06 / 30.25

Legend/Splendour: 37.73 / 33.33

Vision: 38.21 / 31.16

Royal Princess: 39.17 / 32.49

Rhapsody: 39.28 / 32.49

Quantum Class: 40.15 / 34.21

Oasis Class*: 41.72 / 35.42

Radiance Class: 42.04 / 36.53

Freedom Class*: 42.49 / 35.29

Celebrity Solstice: 42.81 / 38.79

Voyager Class*: 44.08 / 35.75

Disney Dream^: 51.88 / 32.42

* Contain Royal Promenade

^ Disney caters to families so double capacity is a falsely low number. Max capacity is a more accurate representation of the ship.

Edited by DEIx15x8

If you divide the gross tonnage (which is a measurement of internal ship volume, not weight) by the passenger capacity, you get a passenger to space ratio. The bigger the number, the more space each passenger gets.

Both Oasis and Quantum are similar at around 40-ish (double occupancy). I'd only worry if Quantum was around 30 -ish! Of course the ships will get more crowded the more 3rd and 4th berths are sold.

These mega-ships work on the principle that NOT everybody will do the same thing at once and be in the same part of the ship. 95% of the time this works fine.

Oasis normally feel reasonably spacious, but you are rarely alone. Try getting a good view during one of the Royal Prom parades!

If you want 'real' space you need to choose a 'premium' or 'luxury' line and pay a higher fare! For example the Queen Mary 2 and Norwegian Epic are a similar size (gross tonnage/volume) but the QM2 often carries 1,500 hundred passengers less. That is why you will probably pay a higher fare for Cunard.

Edited by London-Calling

The size of the ship does not matter as much as the design. RCL are wizards at this. The most crowded we have ever felt on a ship was the Westerdam, with half the passengers of Quantum. So many bottlenecks in public spaces that it felt like the designers had never taken a cruise. With RCL, they seem to excel at spreading people out on the ship by offering so many diversions that not everyone is in the same space at once.

The size of the ship does not matter as much as the design. RCL are wizards at this. The most crowded we have ever felt on a ship was the Westerdam, with half the passengers of Quantum. So many bottlenecks in public spaces that it felt like the designers had never taken a cruise. With RCL, they seem to excel at spreading people out on the ship by offering so many diversions that not everyone is in the same space at once.

Is Westerdam on the same platform as the CCL Spirit Class ships by chance? I know some of the HAL ships of that era are. I noticed the exact same thing on CCL Spirit Class ships -- higher "ratio" than other CCL ships, but terrible passenger flow. Best example is this narrow, winding walkway that leads back to the MDR, which was impassable around dinner time in the evenings. It must be tough to design walkways on a very long and narrow ship, but they could have done a much better job.

Suffice it to say we will not have these issues on Quantum.

Not sure but that was one of the sights of the bottlenecks. HAL's older pax like to get to supper early and line-up while waiting to get in (????) and oddly, that was also the area for the photo gallery so between the people trying to get there early for dinner and the people trying to look at their pictures, it was very hard to exit the dining room at times.

Hi, I'm relatively new to this blog, so please excuse if this has already been discussed. I've been looking at the layout of the Quantum/Anthem and wonder whether anyone has any reaction/comments about the Concierge Club being located at the rear of deck twelve with no nearby elevators. I'm sure the aft views from it will be great, but to access it, quests will need to proceed from mid-ship elevators and walk (a fair distance) pass many quests cabins to access the CC. I've been on several other RCI ships, where to the CC was near elevators. I would think that those deck twelve passageways might get pretty congested at times. Any thoughts?

Hi, I'm relatively new to this blog, so please excuse if this has already been discussed. I've been looking at the layout of the Quantum/Anthem and wonder whether anyone has any reaction/comments about the Concierge Club being located at the rear of deck twelve with no nearby elevators. I'm sure the aft views from it will be great, but to access it, quests will need to proceed from mid-ship elevators and walk (a fair distance) pass many quests cabins to access the CC. I've been on several other RCI ships, where to the CC was near elevators. I would think that those deck twelve passageways might get pretty congested at times. Any thoughts?

Assuming the deck plans are accurate, yes I definitely see what you're saying. I think you described the calculus correctly -- they wanted the beautiful, sweeping aft view for the CL, but there are no stairs or elevators back there. Definite trade off.

My only thought is maybe they've found a way to widen that cabin hallway that isn't apparent in the deck plan? That'll definitely be interesting to monitor as the ship enters service. Could also have ramifications for people wanting to book cabins in that hallway if it's going to be so high traffic.

Looking at deck thirteen, seems that the same situation might happen with groups accessing the "Conference Center". The hallways for both decks 12 and 13 on the Deck Plans don't look any wider than any other deck. This should be interesting.

Looking at deck thirteen, seems that the same situation might happen with groups accessing the "Conference Center". The hallways for both decks 12 and 13 on the Deck Plans don't look any wider than any other deck. This should be interesting.

True. Although my experience with conference centers on ships so far is they're seldom used unless there's a conference on board -- which I've only seen rarely. However, RC devoted some seriously prime real estate to the conference center on Quantum, so I wonder if they envision an expanded role for that space beyond just standard conference center duties.

Edited by Dave85

I expect that the pool deck will be very crowded on warm days. The One main pool looks too small to support 4000. We noticed this problem on the Carnival Breeze. The ship looks like it will feel narrow in the public areas. I sure hope I'm wrong. Can't wait for pictures and video reviews!!!

I expect that the pool deck will be very crowded on warm days. The One main pool looks too small to support 4000. We noticed this problem on the Carnival Breeze. The ship looks like it will feel narrow in the public areas. I sure hope I'm wrong. Can't wait for pictures and video reviews!!!

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze (a New Years cruise with 4,600 on board :eek:) and Quantum's pool deck looks nothing like the Breeze's. I think you're missing the entire retractable roof pool right next door to the main outdoor pool, which when open creates a lot more pool side real estate on a nice day. It's not a tiny fish bowl with no hot tubs like the Breeze's pool deck LOL, which was hands down the worst pool deck I've ever encountered.

I did see the retractable roof and agree that it will add some space. I hope your right. We tried the back pool on the Breeze one morning and by noon we had to leave. The pool ended up polluted and was shut down.

All I'm sayin is - I hope there's a spot for us! I wish they didn't have the running track thruouit the sun deck. I love the Oasis set up out of the high traffic area.

We tried the back pool on the Breeze one morning and by noon we had to leave. The pool ended up polluted and was shut down.

Terrible! We couldn't even get in a pool on the Breeze. The two small pools were "kid soup" the entire week -- wall to wall children splashing. :eek:

Not the kids' fault, they were just being kids. Ridiculous though that two adults who were paying the New Years premium couldn't even use the pool! Thankfully I've never seen that happen on Royal Caribbean and I'm quite confident we never will.

It's larger than Freedom class and only carries 500 more pax than Freedom. I never ever felt crowded or cramped on Freedom.

Looking at freedom class there are a lot of public areas on every deck. While quantum there are quite a few decks with just cabins. I feel like it's gonna get crowded.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Looking at freedom class there are a lot of public areas on every deck. While quantum there are quite a few decks with just cabins. I feel like it's gonna get crowded.

Fair, but I think it's hard to say until we know for sure what venues are where and how they're balanced (meaning what's forward, what's aft, and what is on which deck). They balanced the venues perfectly on the Oasis Class to avoid crowding and I'm hoping (and expect) they would do the same on Quantum.

Anybody concerned?

Your calc of sq ft may we'll be a right number but it includes cabin space while what you are really concerned with is public space. I don't think there will be an issue.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

You may be right, but I still see about 6 decks of public spaces on Quantum. I think the difference is that Freedom has those extra spaces above lido, that are not full sized decks but things like the Viking Crown Lounge and the chapel.

Edited by Fitzget

• 7 months later...

Now that the ship has launched we can confirm that most of the deck chairs are not around the pools but up on deck 15 around the jogging track. The chairs by the pool will be in high demand on hot days. People will just have to camp out on the edges of the pool IMO.

I will be interested to see the reviews and new threads on the layout after a few months in the Caribbean.

Otherwise than the concerns with space ... the ship is very impressive!! It will be nice to have a new RC ship in NY.

Anybody concerned?

Loads and loads of space on Quantum ideed certain places seemed like a lot of unused space but nice all the same.