Casual vs elegant nights

jmb0687

Ok, so I'm just curious what the general population normally wears on the casual and elegant nights? I saw what carnival recommends but I was just curious what most people wear? I have not been on a cruise in 10 years and I remember it being fancier back then. We are not planning on wearing jeans, even on the casual nights but still not totally sure what we should wear. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems like for many, casual and formal mean the same thing. The cruise lines don't really enforce their suggedtions as rules.

I personally wear a collared shirt and khakis on all but formal nights. On the formal nights I wear a tux. I own mine and I like to wear it.

On NCL, I don't bring my tux and I'm on the fence if I'll bring it on the next cruise which is CCL.

Leaning towards bringing it.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

On the first night, I typically wear a nice sundress. Elegant nights, I wear a gown or cocktail dress. Casual nights, I wear a nice dress or cocktail dress. I'm not really a big Capri or dress pant fan, even at home, so dresses are what I gravitate toward naturally. I wear sundresses or skirts most of the time during the day too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really is no set answer on Carnival. Shorter cruises will be more casual than longer ones, but even on longer cruises, it's a mix. Despite what many people on these boards will try to say, there will be some men in suits/tuxes on elegant nights. By the way, a tux that uses a long tie instead of the clown-like bow-tie will be thought of as "just a suit and not a tux" by almost everyone. So even though people say that they saw no tuxes, they very well might have and just didn't know it. Some will be in a polo & khakis or even less than that, and everywhere inbetween. You will see some of everything, but you probably won't be able to find any one style as being over 30%.

I would say that for men, if he's looking to just blend in, a polo shirt and khakis are a good choice for casual nights. On elegant nights, pants and a nice button-up shirt. An added option could be a tie or coat or vest (but just 1 of the 3). For the 2nd elegant night, don't bother with the added option, as the 2nd elegant night seems rather pointless to many people. Stick with that, and he won't feel over or under-dressed. But as I tell everyone, if you want to dress up fancy, go for it. You won't be the only ones, and nobody will look down on you for it.

Edited by k2excursion

From where I live I MUST fly to all cruise ports unless I want to spend 2-5 days driving. With all the fees/hassles of airline baggage I keep things to a single carryon.

I pack a pair of dressy black pants & a mid-calf black skirt. I have a matching dressy top for the skirt and a VERY fressy beaded top to wear w/either. i have a bunch of nice silk tops I can wear with either.

This also keeps my shoe/bag needs down to 1 of each.