CC Members slam QM2

Skippyyyy

Looking at the Cruise Critic members ratings for QM2, she appears to be very much unloved.

Here are the ratings.

Average Overall Rating: 1.9

Shore Excursions: 1.6

Service: 1.8

Food: 1.8

Entertainment: 1.9

Fitness & Recreation: 1.8

Value For Price: 1.6

Cabin: 2.0

Embarkation: 1.9

Children's Programs: 1.4

1=Needs Work

2=Fair

3=Good

4=Better than Average

5=Excellent

She only scores Fair in one category - and even then - only just!!!

Whilst at the same time, her sister, QE2 scores comparably well.

Average Overall Rating: 3.3

Shore Excursions: 3.5

Service: 3.7

Food: 3.7

Entertainment: 3.0

Fitness & Recreation: 2.9

Value For Price: 3.2

Cabin: 3.3

Embarkation: 3.4

Children's Programs: 2.4

KenC must be quite astonished!!! :)

It looks like QM2's scores are dragged down by a) Childrens programs (but then she was never billed as being a mecca for kids) and b) Value for money - which probably makes people rank everything poorly if they feel they've not had their money's worth.

I think that the figures are unjustified. I looked at a variety of other ratings and they are all around the 3.4 mark with the occasional 4.4 and Norwegian ships whith score in the 2's.

I wonder if exit surveys from QM2 show the same results.

Most of the 2005 reviews seem to have 4 or 5 ribbons!! It would seem that 2004 let her down and we all know this anyway.

I still don't understand the scoring system!! It has 4 out of 5 ribbons the same as the QE2.

What's the point of this message anyway??

Elaine

......KenC must be quite astonished!!! :)

It looks like QM2's scores are dragged down by a) Childrens programs (but then she was never billed as being a mecca for kids) and b) Value for money - which probably makes people rank everything poorly if they feel they've not had their money's worth.

I think that the figures are unjustified. I looked at a variety of other ratings and they are all around the 3.4 mark with the occasional 4.4 and Norwegian ships whith score in the 2's.

I wonder if exit surveys from QM2 show the same results.

Oh come on Pete you know these polls mean diddly squat. Kids programme on QE2 ????? Better value for money on QE2 - all I can say is bunk beds to that!!!!!

It is easy to go on CC and vote 1's for all categories several times and people with an axe to grind can halve a ship's rating. Same with voting all 6's - can push a ship's rating right up. I checked the two queens' ratings late last year and they were about the same - seems like there is some nobbling going on. QE2 rated so far ahead of QM2? This is such a joke it's not worth bothering about.

Don't worry Elaine, QM2 will blow you away.

Regards

Ken

Some people are happy with a Maybach, some want a Mercedes....and others are happy with a Mazda. We all have difference taste....and while the person driving the Mazda is quite happy with that car, the Maybach owner (not "driver," since he probably has a chauffeur!) would be slumming it.

Let's be honest....no ship in that category is going to be trashy. I've been on dozens of cruises on the QE2, and three (so far....hope for more) on the QM2. I will always prefer the QE2 for sentimental reasons, even if she is a bit worn about the edges.

Last year was the QM2's inaugural season. Things did not always run smoothly, but I have been on enough cruises to expect that; things were better this spring. The ship is a behemoth....and some people do not like it; others thrive on a mega-vessel that size.

Whatever! Make the best of it as you will......roll with the punches....and make your own decisions about the ship. Most of all, enjoy the experience!

Some people are happy with a Maybach, some want a Mercedes....and others are happy with a Mazda. We all have difference taste....and while the person driving the Mazda is quite happy with that car, the Maybach owner (not "driver," since he probably has a chauffeur!) would be slumming it.

Let's be honest....no ship in that category is going to be trashy. I've been on dozens of cruises on the QE2, and three (so far....hope for more) on the QM2. I will always prefer the QE2 for sentimental reasons, even if she is a bit worn about the edges.

Last year was the QM2's inaugural season. Things did not always run smoothly, but I have been on enough cruises to expect that; things were better this spring. The ship is a behemoth....and some people do not like it; others thrive on a mega-vessel that size.

Whatever! Make the best of it as you will......roll with the punches....and make your own decisions about the ship. Most of all, enjoy the experience!

Kevinsac

You are exactly right. What floats ones boat will not float anothers. I always feel that the best way to make any decision is to try it for yourself. Don't worry I am going to enjoy every minute (ok, well maybe if I'm seasick I won't enjoy them bits) of my time on QM2 and don't worry I will post my opinions on my return!!

Elaine

Ps Maybach wouldn't do for me as I like to be in control so I prefer to drive myself!!!!!

The CC member ratings come from here :- http://www.cruisecritic.com/poll/pollresults.cfm?ShipName=Queen%20Mary%202%20%28QM2%29

KenC - I don't think the poll *is* representative of the ships true rating, and I did ask myself whether or not it is because people who *do* feel disgruntled are more likely to vote (against the ship) in order to bring it's ratings down. I've never tried to vote for a ship twice, but if the system allows it, then maybe Cruise Critic needs to address that as otherwise somebody could truly destroy the rating system by bringing a ships rating down to 0.1 if they were prepared to be so minded.

It worries me though that the other ships do not suffer from this low rating. As I found, only Norwegain ships earned lowish ratings - and even those were not so bad.

Perhaps a CC Community staff member would be able to tell us more on how these ratings are controlled?

As for ratings meaning 'nothing' - I think that's a little on the dismissive side. Is it true to say that all Cruise Critic member ratings mean nothing?

Personally, I think the ship deserves a 3.8 rating.

Forget polls - there are a wealth of reports on these boards written by people who have sailed on the ship. I give more weight to them than some dumbo who may not even have ever taken a cruise.

David.

There are a handful of polls there compared to the amount of passengers that QM2 carries. I'm just taking it with a pinch of salt!! I'll decide for myself. I know that they had a lot of problems when she was first launched and for quite a few months after that. One good reason not to go on any ship in it's maiden year. Hearing the same kind of things about P & O's Arcadia. I have booked this now for next July when she will be a year old and hopefully things will have settled down into a nice routine!!

Elaine

Forget polls - there are a wealth of reports on these boards written by people who have sailed on the ship. I give more weight to them than some dumbo who may not even have ever taken a cruise.

David.

Or possibly thought '1' was good and '5' bad!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

While one could argue that the absolute values may not have much meaning it is hard to see why the relative scores (across ships) would differ based on the reasons give here. Why for example would people who rate the QM2 be more likely than raters of other ships to confuse 1 and 5s?. If there are enough raters then I imagine that there is atleast some information in the score. Plus if you read the reviews for the first year you can easily see how many people would have given it low scores for value for money.

BTW I am going to take the September 2 crossing - my first cruise ever. Hope I don't get seasick.

Archived