What can you tell me about Elation? & New Orleans?

Gabrielle R.

I really have TWO questions- I'm sure you can help me out!

I am looking at a 5 day cruise out of New Orleans In June out of New Orleans. I'm looking at the Elation mainly because my Nephew's graduation party is just about the middle of June... And Dream's dates do not work out...so trying to find out a little more about Elation. I'm not really fond of the Carnival web site- knew you guys who have cruised Elation would know the pros/cons about this ship.

Also- ideas about New Orleans. We would be flying down from MN so I plan on seeing the city.... so I can do about 3 days at the front or end of the cruise. So any great hotels you suggest / ease of getting to port/walking distance to attractions....

My DH and I cruised Carnival MANY Years ago. (2 trips from Puerto Rico) But we have done more Princess... We are platinum there..So not sure if (ANY) perks for sailing Carnival.

Thanks for any information you can give. Been to the ports so not worried about that... really want to know about the ship and New Orleans.;)

Gabrielle

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1527092

New Orleans is a grand city, but in June, it can be hot and humid. Something you may not be used to in MN.

I love the Port of New Orleans, easy in easy out.

Where to stay, IDK, my family lives in NOLA. What to do, enjoy the French Market, walk on the river front, find a hole in the wall poboy shop. Leave the Quarter and go to the Garden District and Uptown. Magazine Street area. Warehouse district has artists and shops as well. Get a day Street Car Pass and just ride from the Quarter pass Audubon Park/zoo, ( I think it's all repaired, the last time I went, it stopped near Napoleon).

Hope this helps.

NO is an old city, with lots of culture, and even better food! You won't have a hard time finding great things to do there.

Elation is a smaller ship, and older. Due for dry dock this year. We love it though!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1527092

New Orleans is a grand city, but in June, it can be hot and humid. Something you may not be used to in MN.

I love the Port of New Orleans, easy in easy out.

Where to stay, IDK, my family lives in NOLA. What to do, enjoy the French Market, walk on the river front, find a hole in the wall poboy shop. Leave the Quarter and go to the Garden District and Uptown. Magazine Street area. Warehouse district has artists and shops as well. Get a day Street Car Pass and just ride from the Quarter pass Audubon Park/zoo, ( I think it's all repaired, the last time I went, it stopped near Napoleon).

Hope this helps.

Loved your review!!

Since New Orleans can be hot and humid you need to make sure you stay hydrated or you may start to feel zapped or sick from the heat.

I speak from experience.

The Elation is a great ship and I really enjoyed sailing on her. The cabins have not yet been renovated, but the ship overall is clean and well kept (my opinion).

Some tips:

1. At breakfast the deli becomes an omelets only station. Most people don't know about this line the first breakfast.

2. The Production Shows Win and Just Rock are really good, especially Just Rock. Win is good, but features a special guest.

3. The buffet fills up pretty quick, especially during peak times like lunch and breakfast.

Hope this helps! I used to have a full Elation review online, but my blog changed so I lost my review in transfer.

If you want to split up your days, you can stay at a hotel like Prytania Park in the Garden District. If you stay 2 days before and one after (or vice versa) you can park for free during the cruise.

You take a $7/pp taxi to and from the port and you are on your way!

There is plenty to read about NOLA in the New Orleans port of call forum.

If you are going to do the French Quarter you might as well stay there and absorb the atmosphere.

What kind of hotels do you like?

Are you the loves things brand new, or will shabby chic do?

One you might check out is Olivier House Hotel.

It is right smack in the French Quarter in a 200 year old building.

And it is the very definition of shabby chic.

When we stayed there the parking was inside a roofless old building, pretty cool.

If you want to tour some of the river road plantations, then you may want to stay further out.

And check out Laura Plantation, a bit more on the real side, especially as compared to Oak Alley, which is more the Disney style version.

And there is an interesting connection between Laura and Olivier House.

I also recommend getting out and walking the garden district area.

Or riding the street car.

Just make sure you know where the street car is going before you get on.:rolleyes:

Whatever you decide, check for reservations.

Hotels in New Orleans, especially in the French Quarter can be booked up at times when you might not expect it so get booked as soon as possible.

And if anyone wants to bet you that they can tell you where you got your shoes just don't or you'll be out five bucks.:)

I have sailed Elation 5 times so far.

It is a pretty ship.

I like the areas outside of the buffet eating area.

And right down the stairs is the Serenity area.

Oh, and find the posts on the New Orleans port of call thread that describe some of the places you will be passing as Elation makes her way out and down the river.

One you might check out is Olivier House Hotel.

It is right smack in the French Quarter in a 200 year old building.

And it is the very definition of shabby chic.

When we stayed there the parking was inside a roofless old building, pretty cool.

If you want to tour some of the river road plantations, then you may want to stay further out.

And check out Laura Plantation, a bit more on the real side, especially as compared to Oak Alley, which is more the Disney style version.

And there is an interesting connection between Laura and Olivier House.

I loved Olivier house! We stayed there several times over the years and it is a great little place that is quiet. We also enjoyed the connection with Plantation Laura when we toured there.

The other place we stay is the Place De Armes hotel at St. Ann and Chartres. It is similar to the Olivier house in the unique rooms and really nice court yards.

We were just in New Orleans. We stayed at the Hampton Downtown. Booked through LMT Club (google it) and got it for $122 a night during Mardi Gras, 2 blocks to Bourbon Street, street car line is right in front of hotel. $7 pp taxi to port, $33 taxi from airport (2 people, $12 each for 3 or more) Lots to do in and see around French Quarter, Magazine street and the River walk. All within walking of the Hampton.

We sailed on the Elation, but it was many years ago.

Edited by welldone60

I loved Olivier house! We stayed there several times over the years and it is a great little place that is quiet. We also enjoyed the connection with Plantation Laura when we toured there.

The other place we stay is the Place De Armes hotel at St. Ann and Chartres. It is similar to the Olivier house in the unique rooms and really nice court yards.

We had a big room with a balcony at Olivier House.

You went out a big window.

It was wonderful to sit out there and watch.

Have sailed Elation three times, but never toured NO. Just straight to port for us. The Elation is an older ship, though very well maintained. Service has always been excellent. No steak house, no big water slides, no seaside theater. No balcony rooms. However, great place to relax and have fun!

Since New Orleans can be hot and humid you need to make sure you stay hydrated or you may start to feel zapped or sick from the heat.

I speak from experience.

The Elation is a great ship and I really enjoyed sailing on her. The cabins have not yet been renovated, but the ship overall is clean and well kept (my opinion).

Some tips:

1. At breakfast the deli becomes an omelets only station. Most people don't know about this line the first breakfast.

2. The Production Shows Win and Just Rock are really good, especially Just Rock. Win is good, but features a special guest.

3. The buffet fills up pretty quick, especially during peak times like lunch and breakfast.

Hope this helps! I used to have a full Elation review online, but my blog changed so I lost my review in transfer.

THANKS for the advice!

If you want to split up your days, you can stay at a hotel like Prytania Park in the Garden District. If you stay 2 days before and one after (or vice versa) you can park for free during the cruise.

You take a $7/pp taxi to and from the port and you are on your way!

There is plenty to read about NOLA in the New Orleans port of call forum.

Good to know! We will be flying in... just a bit too long to drive from Northern MN to get Louisiana.

Don't miss the National WWII Museum -- it is incredible

http://nationalww2museum.org/

If you stay in the Quarter (highly recommended) --- Try an All That Jazz po'boy from the Merde Verte Market :D

YES! I FORGOT about that museum! I teach History.... My room is really awesome during WWII So this is on my list of must sees!

THANKS!

Thanks EVERYONE for the great information! So appreciate it- Also thanks for the links!!!

Yes, I will have to check the NO port info too...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

If anyone thinks of something else, I love to hear about it.!

Gabrielle

We sailed on Elation a couple summers ago. Loved the ship. It's smaller so easy to find your way around. The staff were wonderful. We stayed in the Hotel Monteleon after our cruise and it was amazing. The garden district was beautiful. We walked around NOLA for hours and never got bored or tired. Can't wait to go back in May on our Dream cruise with the kids. Unfortunately, we'll have to skip Bourbon Street this time. LOL

I have to recommend the Hampton Inn Convention Center location. Very close to the port and still within walking/streetcar range of all the attractions. The hotel is away from the craziness of the French Quarter so it's quiet at night and housed in a converted cotton warehouse that is gorgeous! Rates were good and the hotel is well known for upgrading rooms based on availability. At the time we stayed there they also offered a free shuttle to the port. (Port is only a few minutes away, but not really walkable.)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Edited by CatlinSTJ

I just can back from NOLA last month right after the all stars games. I stayed at Laquita inn on camp street right across from the French quarter for about $80 a night on a AAA rate. The hotel was beautiful, clean, my room was huge with a nice bath, fridge and microwave. We went to the aquarium (down to street from the hotel) and did a swamp tour and ate quite a lot. I LOVED Royal street with all the galleries and I didn't like Burbon street (too much drunk and disorderly). Be prepared to walk ALOT. I highly recommend:

The French market

Court if 2 sisters

Deanie's seafood

Johnny's po boys

The Aquarium

And the swamp tour (there's a little hut where the river boats are in the square next to the aquarium to book the swamp tour)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by missy428

I have to recommend the Hampton Inn Convention Center location. Very close to the port and still within walking/streetcar range of all the attractions. The hotel is away from the craziness of the French Quarter so it's quiet at night and housed in a converted cotton warehouse that is gorgeous! Rates were good and the hotel is well known for upgrading rooms based on availability. At the time we stayed there they also offered a free shuttle to the port. (Port is only a few minutes away, but not really walkable.)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

I second the recommendation of the Hampton Inn convention center. New meets old. Very nicely done and great staff. Walking distance to several great restaurants.

Much easier to taxi to port because the 10 minute walk in the humidity will take its toll.

I loved the Elation! Great ship great staff. It's still huge but smaller than the newer ones. Loved Serenity deck!! My favorite so far.

You can't go to New Orleans without walking around Jackson Square and having beignets at Cafe Du Monde. There is always a line but it moves quickly.

Have fun!!

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

• 2 months later...
I really have TWO questions- I'm sure you can help me out!

I am looking at a 5 day cruise out of New Orleans In June out of New Orleans. I'm looking at the Elation mainly because my Nephew's graduation party is just about the middle of June... And Dream's dates do not work out...so trying to find out a little more about Elation. I'm not really fond of the Carnival web site- knew you guys who have cruised Elation would know the pros/cons about this ship.

Also- ideas about New Orleans. We would be flying down from MN so I plan on seeing the city.... so I can do about 3 days at the front or end of the cruise. So any great hotels you suggest / ease of getting to port/walking distance to attractions....

My DH and I cruised Carnival MANY Years ago. (2 trips from Puerto Rico) But we have done more Princess... We are platinum there..So not sure if (ANY) perks for sailing Carnival.

Thanks for any information you can give. Been to the ports so not worried about that... really want to know about the ship and New Orleans.;)

Gabrielle

Make sure you go eat at Deanies Seafood near downtown New Orleans. I recommend the BBQ Shrimp!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums