first solo cruise NCL any tips please

cjc3008

I have today booked my first cruise and I leave in 10 days !!

It was a great deal and will take me around the Canary islands flying out to pick up the NCL SPIRIT from Barcelona. Now I have to decide what to pack !!!

Any advice on both packing and ideas for holidaying on the SPIRIT would be very welcome. Many thanks

You may already be aware of this, but there is a Cruise Critic 'Special Interest' category with a 'Solo Cruisers' forum which contains tons of tips and information on cruising solo - which I have done about a dozen times.

Also under 'Cruise Discussion Topics' there is a forum entitled 'Cruise Fashion and Beauty' which has lots of packing tips and information for various cruise regions.

Have fun on your cruise!! I LOVE cruising solo and can't even imagine sharing an agenda or a cabin with ANYONE!!

You may already be aware of this, but there is a Cruise Critic 'Special Interest' category with a 'Solo Cruisers' forum which contains tons of tips and information on cruising solo - which I have done about a dozen times.

Also under 'Cruise Discussion Topics' there is a forum entitled 'Cruise Fashion and Beauty' which has lots of packing tips and information for various cruise regions.

Have fun on your cruise!! I LOVE cruising solo and can't even imagine sharing an agenda or a cabin with ANYONE!!

Thankyou I will research further on this website. I have wanted to cruise but balked at the higher prices for singles but now I have discovered studios o NCL there is no stopping I have booked transatlantic/Caribbean in Oct !!!

Thankyou I will research further on this website. I have wanted to cruise but balked at the higher prices for singles but now I have discovered studios o NCL there is no stopping I have booked transatlantic/Caribbean in Oct !!!

I had the Spring Epic Miami to Barcelona TA booked, but had to cancel right before final payment because something came up for work during the time I would have been on the ship.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your sailing? I looked at it a few weeks ago, hoping I could do the reverse TA in October and it looks pretty busy!

I had the Spring Epic Miami to Barcelona TA booked, but had to cancel right before final payment because something came up for work during the time I would have been on the ship.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your sailing? I looked at it a few weeks ago, hoping I could do the reverse TA in October and it looks pretty busy!

Yes I have joined the roll call for the TA on Epic in Oct. I only booked it yesterday but was told there were still 15 studios left.

It was a great deal and will take me around the Canary islands flying out to pick up the NCL SPIRIT from Barcelona. Now I have to decide what to pack !!!

Any advice on both packing and ideas for holidaying on the SPIRIT would be very welcome. Many thanks

Have a read of Lara Lox's Solo Fashionista Blogs, which includes Spirit from December 2013 e.g. pack heavy shoes in your carry on luggage.

Main tips from me.....meet up with other solos like Miss Amber above for drinks (Champagne Charlies is the ideal location) and dinner/show on the first evening, chat to everyone, try and entice other solos into your group e.g. from the club or from the day two solos meetup, arrange to meet up with those that you enjoy the company of for activities and tours, make sure you keep some time for whatever you enjoy doing.

PS The same Spirit cruise as Lara, I booked on the Saturday and the cruise left on the Sunday, and probably like yours, was a fantastic deal.

Edited by Froggitt

Hi,

you have made a really good choice for your first cruise in sailing on Spirit. You will be well looked after on her.

When you check in at Barcelona terminal you will see some copies of Freestyle Daily, it is roughly A4 size and has pale blue edging. If you don't see them get one from reception in the Atrium, make sure you get one in English. You will get this delivered every evening when your steward does your room. It lists everything that is going on on board the ship. It gives you all the opening hours for things and what events are on an where. Why not look to see where the single cruisers meet up is? They have one every night and it is an opportunity to meet others sailing as a single. From what I have been told it is a good chance to meet a few people, maybe make up a group for dinner together or to join on an excursion.

If the weather is warm next morning you could get some breakfast at the buffet and carry it outside onto the rear of the ship. There are some great views from there and there are drink machines and a bar too. Check the Daily to see what is going on and when and away you go.

You will really enjoy this cruise and all the ports are great except Casablanca which leaves a little to be desired for most folks. I did a little review of my most recent trip which you can read here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1977267 Don't be put off by the ending, it was just something unfortunate that couldn't be helped.

If you see Armando, he usually stands around the atrium on embarkation day, go and say hello. I love this man to bits he has done so much for me over the years and his only aim in life is to make sure you have an amazing cruise. He is also the guy to talk to if you have any problems whilst on board which he will get sorted out really, really quickly.

Hi,

you have made a really good choice for your first cruise in sailing on Spirit. You will be well looked after on her.

When you check in at Barcelona terminal you will see some copies of Freestyle Daily, it is roughly A4 size and has pale blue edging. If you don't see them get one from reception in the Atrium, make sure you get one in English. You will get this delivered every evening when your steward does your room. It lists everything that is going on on board the ship. It gives you all the opening hours for things and what events are on an where. Why not look to see where the single cruisers meet up is? They have one every night and it is an opportunity to meet others sailing as a single. From what I have been told it is a good chance to meet a few people, maybe make up a group for dinner together or to join on an excursion.

If the weather is warm next morning you could get some breakfast at the buffet and carry it outside onto the rear of the ship. There are some great views from there and there are drink machines and a bar too. Check the Daily to see what is going on and when and away you go.

You will really enjoy this cruise and all the ports are great except Casablanca which leaves a little to be desired for most folks. I did a little review of my most recent trip which you can read here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1977267 Don't be put off by the ending, it was just something unfortunate that couldn't be helped.

If you see Armando, he usually stands around the atrium on embarkation day, go and say hello. I love this man to bits he has done so much for me over the years and his only aim in life is to make sure you have an amazing cruise. He is also the guy to talk to if you have any problems whilst on board which he will get sorted out really, really quickly.

So lovely to have a warm response with plenty of information so thank you for taking the time x

Have a read of Lara Lox's Solo Fashionista Blogs, which includes Spirit from December 2013 e.g. pack heavy shoes in your carry on luggage.

Main tips from me.....meet up with other solos like Miss Amber above for drinks (Champagne Charlies is the ideal location) and dinner/show on the first evening, chat to everyone, try and entice other solos into your group e.g. from the club or from the day two solos meetup, arrange to meet up with those that you enjoy the company of for activities and tours, make sure you keep some time for whatever you enjoy doing.

Great tips and I know I am going to enjoy this first cruise now.

I did the same thing in November, and invite you to read my review. The link's in my signature.

I hope you have a great time, and am confident you will.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

The main thing is to remember to enjoy yourself! Don't worry too much about being solo or about what other people are doing/thinking, just do what you want to do and have fun :)

As Froggitt said, I reviewed my solo trip of the Spirit (same itinerary as yours) and the link is in my signature, hopefully this will give you some good tips.

Have a great cruise :D