Chapels, where have they gone?

YB Nrml

We found the chapels on the first three ships we cruised on, Liberty, Pride and Legend. On our fourth cruise on the Valor we never were able to locate the chapel and it didn't show up on any of the ship's maps or floor plans. Our last cruise was on the Liberty again and the chapel was gone??? We couldn't find it anywhere.

So, has Carnival done away with the chapels? The three we saw were beautiful and I hate to see them go.

They are for the most part gone or on their way out so that the space can be used for other things. It's kind of hard to hold any other kind of activity in a space so clearly designed for worship.

We found the chapels on the first three ships we cruised on, Liberty, Pride and Legend. On our fourth cruise on the Valor we never were able to locate the chapel and it didn't show up on any of the ship's maps or floor plans. Our last cruise was on the Liberty again and the chapel was gone??? We couldn't find it anywhere.

So, has Carnival done away with the chapels? The three we saw were beautiful and I hate to see them go.

It wasn't in the same place as on the Liberty?

It wasn't in the same place as on the Liberty?

We originally stumbled upon the Liberty chapel by accident on our first cruise. It was so beautiful that we made a point of finding them on all of our subsequent cruises. If I remember correctly they were usually located somewhere close to the library.

We never found one on the Valor and on our second cruise aboard the Liberty they had removed or moved it because it wasn't there last October.

We saw the chapel on our recent Pride cruise, but it was locked every time we passed it. There must have been a wedding on board one day at least, because one day while passing it, the smell of fresh flowers coming from it was incredible. It's a shame it wasn't open to all guests to go in and see.

Just off Legend and went looking for the little, pretty chapel. It appears to be now " Crew Only" space, with a sign on the door. Wonder what they do when having a wedding on board? :(

They have them in another room. Not nearly as nice as the chapel, just set up for the reception so it is pretty but they just go to the stage ( if there is one ) or in what they have set up as the front say there vows & it is over. Sad to see the chapel go.

Just off Legend and went looking for the little, pretty chapel. It appears to be now " Crew Only" space, with a sign on the door. Wonder what they do when having a wedding on board? :(

Weddings are held in any of the other "rooms." On the Victory our wedding was in the Imagination Cigar Bar, actually. I was a little bit worried it would stink, but it was wonderful. It certainly wasn't a traditional wedding, and there were little problems, but a chapel is not necessary for a wedding.

It's kind of hard to hold any other kind of activity in a space so clearly designed for worship.

This is just a crazy suggestion, but maybe they could actually hold worship services? :o

I know that we live in a country where mentioning anything remotely associated with religion can be taboo or offensive to someone, but one of the things that caught my attention about our last cruise aboard Holland America was the fact that they held religious services on a daily basis. Each ship actually carries a priest year round. Religious services, both non-denominational and Catholic (due to the large Filipino-Catholic crew onboard) were offered, sometimes multiple times a day.

The thing that was most interesting was that, anytime you walked by any of these services, they were PACKED, so there's definitely an interest.

I do understand the argument that the cruise lines can't accommodate all religions, but IMHO offering something (like non-denominational services) is better than nothing.

And chapels can also be a great place for other activities, like the daily Bill W meetings, where attendees can have a more intimate and private setting. I always find it ironic that Bill W. meetings on cruise ships are occasionally held at (of all places) a bar!

Edited by Tapi

I sooo sooo totally agree with Tapi...

I would love me a chapel on the ship.

Nobody probably would want one, but hey alittle

bit of prayer before we start our day would be totally

awesome.. If ship were in trouble first words out of

everyones mouth would be OH GOD help me!!! Hey just

my opinion...

Carnival has said many times that they are not going to routinely staff clergy on their ships. I don't have a problem if there is a chapel, but I also don't need one to gather with fellow believers to worship.

Carnival has said many times that they are not going to routinely staff clergy on their ships. I don't have a problem if there is a chapel, but I also don't need one to gather with fellow believers to worship.

I do agree that staffing Carnival ships with clergy is down at the very bottom of the list of their priorities, but what I suggested (a simple, non denominational service a few times during the cruise) could be performed by any crewmember willing to lead a group in prayer, readings, and song. No, it's not a full service or mass, but once again it's better than nothing.

And while it's true that anybody can do all of these things by themselves in the privacy of their staterooms, there's something very special about worshipping together. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Only Carnival's Spirit class ships (Spirit, Legend, Pride, and Miracle) have the chapels. We were married in the chapel on the Pride last year and the room itself is beautiful. As far as I know, those are the only ships that have ever had chapels. If there is a wedding or vow renewal on ships without chapels, then the ceremonies take place in other venues. On the Glory, they use the Green Room behind the Ebony Lounge.

We also thought the Chapel doors were locked when we were doing some rehearsal things, but a staff member told us that we had to pull hard on the knob to open the door.

Edited by Carnival_Brides