Royal Caribbean fan seeks Carnival help

maureencruiser

WOW!! I posted my question, then went out to spend the day with my Mother, came back and saw how many answers. Funny, the first answers all came back Sunshine then towards the end, the Pride started winning a lot of votes. I guess nobody thinks the Victory is a good choice. Of course not, it's the cheapest! :p I will read the reviews of the people who posted them, Wrigley80 and the other one, I forget your name. :oCiardsully, I actually spent all morning reading your review, that got me excited about Sunshine. On a side note, your husband was disappointed that they didn't sell turtle burgers at the turtle farm, but, in one of your pictures, he looks like he is going to take a bite out of the baby turtle! :eek:

I'm glad to see the sunshine has the 2.0, I guess that is when they add Guy's Burgers, the Red Frog and the Blue Iguana? I am definitely interested in trying all those. The something Cucina appeared to be a pasta bar in Ciardscully's review? HEAVEN!! Pure Heaven for me, I would probably eat there every day.

Several people went with the longer cruise, the better theory and I usually would, as well. But, my Mom is in an assisted living facility and I am seriously thinking about NOT telling her that I am going away. She always seems to take a turn for the worse when I'm away. That is why I am including 5 nighters in my consideration. I MAY even fly in on the day of the cruise. Blasphemy, I know, and I would definitely get insurance if I did that. So, I will go read those reviews, thanks to all who provided links, and now that I have narrowed it down to two, I can check out the CCL website and learn more about each ship. Thanks again to all who posted, especially the poster whose response was his/her very first post. Welcome to CC, I hope you learn a lot! Thanks, everybody!

The only ship I have sailed that you are looking at is the Sunshine. We did this in Jan and had a wonderful time.

Here is a link to my review

http://www.whenshiphappens.com/blog/2014/02/carnival-sunshine-yay-or-nay.html

Huntm, You were the one whose name I couldn't remember! Thanks for the review! I have now favorited your blog and will come back to read the rest of it. Your review and pictures are great. Thanks again! :)

I'm a huge Carnival fan. That said, if you sail primarily for the ship itself, for wow factor, I don't think Carnival is going to satisfy you.

My favorite sea day activity is reading on a high deck overlooking the ocean. I can do that on he oldest tiniest ship afloat just as well as I could on the latest greatest Behemoth of the Seas. If I were looking to be wowed by a ship, though, I don't think it would work out between me and Carnival.

That all said, hands-down the nicest ships in Carnival's fleet are the Spirit class, so I have to go with Pride as the best option for you, out of the ones that you have presented.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't cruise for the food or shows, i like the ports and general downtime and relaxation factor. If OP likes shows, Carnival will disappoint.

That being said, I have been on Pride and Victory. Of the two I enjoyed Victory more. I am going on Pride after it gets the 2.0 upgrades next year, if not for that I would not choose it again, even though it is a longer cruise and very close to home. (It's sister ship Legend, I would do that again anytime, with or without the upgrades).

Edited by Danacat222

WOW!! I posted my question, then went out to spend the day with my Mother, came back and saw how many answers. Funny, the first answers all came back Sunshine then towards the end, the Pride started winning a lot of votes. I guess nobody thinks the Victory is a good choice. Of course not, it's the cheapest! :p I will read the reviews of the people who posted them, Wrigley80 and the other one, I forget your name. :oCiardsully, I actually spent all morning reading your review, that got me excited about Sunshine. On a side note, your husband was disappointed that they didn't sell turtle burgers at the turtle farm, but, in one of your pictures, he looks like he is going to take a bite out of the baby turtle! :eek:

I'm glad to see the sunshine has the 2.0, I guess that is when they add Guy's Burgers, the Red Frog and the Blue Iguana? I am definitely interested in trying all those. The something Cucina appeared to be a pasta bar in Ciardscully's review? HEAVEN!! Pure Heaven for me, I would probably eat there every day.

Several people went with the longer cruise, the better theory and I usually would, as well. But, my Mom is in an assisted living facility and I am seriously thinking about NOT telling her that I am going away. She always seems to take a turn for the worse when I'm away. That is why I am including 5 nighters in my consideration. I MAY even fly in on the day of the cruise. Blasphemy, I know, and I would definitely get insurance if I did that. So, I will go read those reviews, thanks to all who provided links, and now that I have narrowed it down to two, I can check out the CCL website and learn more about each ship. Thanks again to all who posted, especially the poster whose response was his/her very first post. Welcome to CC, I hope you learn a lot! Thanks, everybody!

I loved Victory. I have a Pride & Victory review in my signature.

If ship's amenities are the biggest factor: Sunshine

If two days of extra cruising are the bigger factor: Pride

If cost starts sneaking in, then go with Victory...but it will seem a little bland (except for the nekkid mermaid decor!) compared to an RCCL ship.

I have a Victory review down in my signature, with some pics.

Another plus for Pride is the retractable roof over one of the pools.

Victory also has the retractable roof, over the aft pool. (However, unlike the aft pools on Conquest-class ships, Victory's aft pool and dual hot-tubs are not adults-only.)

I was thinking the same thing. I don't cruise for the food or shows, i like the ports and general downtime and relaxation factor. If OP likes shows, Carnival will disappoint.

I was thinking the same thing... Cruise CCL for beautiful ports and a cheap way to get there. My last cruise with them taught me not to cruise them for the ship experience. Sorry but true...

Danacat222 & Pellaz: Thanks for both of your reviews - I loved the pics in both of them as I lived vicariously through your reviews as I await my Victory cruise in 3 weeks.

OP: Victory just doesn't have the features of the other ships. You will do fine with any of them. Check out the reviews that Danacat & Pellaz posted, they have some great pics in them to give you a great feel for the Victory.

I guess I will be the only one to say don't do the Sunshine. As others stated it is a completely revamped ship and is quite attractive. The problem is it has jammed more people on board and will feel crowded compared to Royal. I also personally don't think the upgrades are necessarily a good thing as there are more upcharges.

Interesting that I read this comment yet don't see that you've actually sailed on the Sunshine. I just returned from a Spring Break cruise that had the largest amount of people ever on the Sunshine. The only real crowds were on pool deck and Serenity during sea days. Otherwise I never stood in a line longer than six people at Guys, Blue Iguana, Cucina del Capitano for lunch, Deli for lunch, seaday brunch in mdr, etc. Best to speak with facts.

Also all the upgrades do not have upcharges. The three restaurants do at night but you can have lunch free at two of them.

I guess I will be the only one to say don't do the Sunshine. As others stated it is a completely revamped ship and is quite attractive. The problem is it has jammed more people on board and will feel crowded compared to Royal. I also personally don't think the upgrades are necessarily a good thing as there are more upcharges.

Interesting that I read this comment yet don't see that you've actually sailed on the Sunshine. I just returned from a Spring Break cruise that had the largest amount of people ever on the Sunshine. The only real crowds were on pool deck and Serenity during sea days. Otherwise I never stood in a line longer than six people at Guys, Blue Iguana, Cucina del Capitano for lunch, Deli for lunch, seaday brunch in mdr, etc. Best to speak with facts.

Also all the upgrades do not have upcharges. The three restaurants do at night but you can have lunch free at two of them.

Does Bonsai Sushi have a charge for lunch?

I'm a huge Carnival fan. That said, if you sail primarily for the ship itself, for wow factor, I don't think Carnival is going to satisfy you.

My favorite sea day activity is reading on a high deck overlooking the ocean. I can do that on he oldest tiniest ship afloat just as well as I could on the latest greatest Behemoth of the Seas. If I were looking to be wowed by a ship, though, I don't think it would work out between me and Carnival.

That all said, hands-down the nicest ships in Carnival's fleet are the Spirit class, so I have to go with Pride as the best option for you, out of the ones that you have presented.

Agree that no CCL ship compares with voyager class (let alone freedom or oasis class). Also agree that 7 days for less money wins hands down and to pay so much for air for a five day makes no sense when you have a local, cheaper, longer option.

For what you are willing to spend, I would double check RCCL or even NCL breakaway or getaway.

Also note that hidden costs out of NOLA and PC are higher than flying in to FLL. And the are a lot of nice ships out of port Everglades. And if you are in to the Amtrak thing all of the NY ships are "wowier" than what you are currently considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok, I'll be the odd man out and vote for the Victory. I've sailed her 3 times and absolutely love that ship!! It does not have all the bells & whistles that the Sunshine has, but it is still a beautiful ship with lots to do. Plus, it probably has the best itinerary of the 3 - definitely a better itinerary then the yawner the Pride offers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agree that no CCL ship compares with voyager class (let alone freedom or oasis class). Also agree that 7 days for less money wins hands down and to pay so much for air for a five day makes no sense when you have a local, cheaper, longer option.

For what you are willing to spend, I would double check RCCL or even NCL breakaway or getaway.

Also note that hidden costs out of NOLA and PC are higher than flying in to FLL. And the are a lot of nice ships out of port Everglades. And if you are in to the Amtrak thing all of the NY ships are "wowier" than what you are currently considering.

Well, Maureen prefers RCI but is choosing Carnival this time because of the waived single supplement.

Danacat222 & Pellaz: Thanks for both of your reviews - I loved the pics in both of them as I lived vicariously through your reviews as I await my Victory cruise in 3 weeks.

Why, thanks!

Don't let the dreaded "biting seahorses" on the Victory get ya! :D

:D:D I'm booked! :D:D I decided on the Sunshine 5 nighter. The shorter cruise just worked out better for me this time. I was able to "squirrel" around with the airfare and by driving to Richmond, about 2 and 1/2 hours from home, I am able to fly Southwest for less than $200 roundtrip.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts, I will be writing a picture review when I get back, hope I get lots of great pictures. Well, off to join my roll call and book a hotel. :D:D

:D:D I'm booked! :D:D I decided on the Sunshine 5 nighter. The shorter cruise just worked out better for me this time. I was able to "squirrel" around with the airfare and by driving to Richmond, about 2 and 1/2 hours from home, I am able to fly Southwest for less than $200 roundtrip.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts, I will be writing a picture review when I get back, hope I get lots of great pictures. Well, off to join my roll call and book a hotel. :D:D

When do you go on the Sunshine?

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts, I will be writing a picture review when I get back, hope I get lots of great pictures. Well, off to join my roll call and book a hotel. D

IMHO, you made an excellent choice. I love cruising on ships with all the amenities and the Sunshine has them all. I loved JiJi and Cucina, both just $12pp for dinner. Cucina is a pasta bar for lunch with no extra change and has delicious food.

Jaime is the CD and is exceptional. She is very personable and high energy. A very visible CD. Tell her hi from Mary from Canada. Mention butterflies and she'll know who I am....lol.

Enjoy your cruise!:)