Carnival and the Mexican Riviera

omar151

Yes! I imagine Carnival's small ships could fit there.

Small, medium, and probably even large. San Francisco's new cruise ship terminal was built to accommodate large ships. Here are the ships sailing to San Francisco this year:

http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2288

Cruise Critic also loves San Francisco, recently giving the city its coveted Editors’ Pick for Best U.S. Port: “One of the most beautiful cities in America to sail into, San Francisco has long been a contender as one of the country's best ports. But new efforts to redevelop its waterfront and build a state-of-the-art cruise terminal combined with fantastic sightseeing and easy-to-access air service put it over the top.”

Which of Carnival's ships are you thinking won't fit in San Francisco?

We booked a 7-day Mexican Riviera on the Splendor back in June, 2009 (Cabo, PV and one other) but were diverted due to the Swine Flu.

Our cruise ended up going to Astoria, OR, Vancouver, BC and Victoria, BC. I would not have booked the cruise based on that itinerary, but it was AWESOME! Victoria and Vancouver were SO beautiful (there's a reason those two cities real estate costs an arm and a leg) and, believe it or not, very warm, too. There was a ton to do in those two towns as well. The only change I'd make is to replace Astoria (the town where Goonies was filmed) with Seattle (never been and would love to go to Pike's Place Market, etc).

If CCL offered a similiar itinerary in summer out of Long Beach or SF, they'd sell a ton. Think about how long ALL of the lines have offered pretty much the same itineraries. Change is good and would be very profitable, too.

I have been to Vancouver many times, and Victoria a few, not on a cruise but just a quick getaway. I LOVE Vancouver, and it's one of my favorites cities to visit. Aside from the city (Downtown, Robson Street, Granville Island, etc) there is the other end of the bay with the Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, etc. So much to do in that city!

On a side note, my boss and a few other people were traveling to Mexico City during that time, on business, and were there during the whole swine flu fiasco. When they returned home, they were not allowed back in the office for two weeks.

Edited by Fitzget

Small, medium, and probably even large. San Francisco's new cruise ship terminal was built to accommodate large ships. Here are the ships sailing to San Francisco this year:

http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2288

Cruise Critic also loves San Francisco, recently giving the city its coveted Editors’ Pick for Best U.S. Port: “One of the most beautiful cities in America to sail into, San Francisco has long been a contender as one of the country's best ports. But new efforts to redevelop its waterfront and build a state-of-the-art cruise terminal combined with fantastic sightseeing and easy-to-access air service put it over the top.”

Which of Carnival's ships are you thinking won't fit in San Francisco?

I sailed out of SF once, but had/have no idea about ships could or couldn't fit. I was just thinking that the Imagination and Inspiration that are already on the west coast could go there.

• 2 weeks later...
Sure miss Carnivals 8 & 9 day Mex. Riviera sailingsicon9.gif

Princess has 9 day sailings next year from LA on the Grand. Seriously considering it. LA- Cabo-PV-La Paz -Loreto.

Did the 10 day in March that also included San Diego. It was a wonderful cruise. Beyond getting used to the Princess product the only 'issue' we had was the average age onboard was 78 (confirmed).

Princess has 9 day sailings next year from LA on the Grand. Seriously considering it. LA- Cabo-PV-La Paz -Loreto.

Did the 10 day in March that also included San Diego. It was a wonderful cruise. Beyond getting used to the Princess product the only 'issue' we had was the average age onboard was 78 (confirmed).

I guess that is an option. Honestly I have not been on Princess or any other than Carnival but I am curious. Thank you for the info Sadie.