San Juan embarkation

misssea

I've found it to be similar than checking in at any other US ports. Main difference is that, because ship leaves later, you can check in, go on the ship, and then head back out to explore Old San Juan for a few hours.

Keep in mind that many flights from the mainland arrive around 1-3pm, so there will probably be a mad rush during those hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

How is the embarkation process in San Juan?

We embarked in San Juan in 2012 on the Victory and everything was very smooth. Maybe smoother than our home port (Galveston) and we flew in the same day (Our honeymoon, wedding was night before) and used Carnival's transfer service. It was all really smooth and quick.

We just did this about a month ago. It was a bit of a mad house as all the buses, taxi's etc converge at the front of the pier. Then the mad rush of porters ensues, please look out as you can get struck by anything from a cart to a bus!!!!

We waited until 11:30 am to check out of the Hotel Miramar and the ride to the pier was about 20 minutes. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to get on the Valor and we were back out on the streets of OSJ around 2:30.

I pondered after the cruise if the fact that you can be off the ship until about 8:30 to 9:00 pm makes this a less profitable cruise for Carnival. We spent a lot of money in PR that Sunday instead of buying DOD's.

Since the ship sails at 10 p.m. instead of 4 p.m., does that mean the check-in counters close later too?

I have sailed out of Seattle, Baltimore and Tampa, and the check-in typically closes around 1.5 to 2 hours prior to sail off. Anybody know when is the latest I can check in for Carnival at San Juan?

Outside the terminal is crazy with all the taxi and buses. But after you are inside it was very smooth and quick process. I would recommend showing up early to avoid some of the hecticness outside the terminal

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Or arrive late...you can swing by the pier and drop your luggage with the porters any time and NOT have to proceed with boarding. We came back about 5:30 p.m. after doing our thing in San Juan and walked right on. The cabins were ready by that time and dinner the first night is open seating all evening from 5:30 to 8:30 if I remember correctly.

Smoothest embarkation ever, whether we have flown in or hoteled it. When we fly in, we usually board, eat, and venture back out. When we have flown in a day or two early, once we board, we stay. Even sails are fun as all the ships jocky for position. Just pray for no rain. Puts a damper on sailaway.