Considering a last minute cruise, need some persuasion!

Kesstral

Hello everyone!

I've never sailed NCL but have done Alaska twice. Since I live in Vancouver, BC and hate flying, I've found that cruising is a great vacation for me.

After having done a giant trip last October to Florida we didn't think we were going to be able to cruise this year. I made the mistake of looking up some last minute fares and stumbled on the 10 night Vancouver-Seattle on Norwegian Pearl. This trip caught my eye because it leaves on our wedding anniversary (we didn't have a honeymoon so I claim every vacation is one) and it goes to Glacier Bay (we've only been to Tracy Arm), Sitka and Icy Strait which are two ports we haven't seen yet.

I've already confirmed that there are no time-off issues with work and the cost of this trip wont break the bank so there are no real limitations on going (unless you consider the "responsible" limitation of just not spending money).

I guess what I'm looking for from this wonderful community is some opinions on the ship and if it's a worthwhile itinerary. We're not going to be doing many excursions and tend to spend a lot of time reading. Our last ship was Allure but I am aware that is a different beast so I'm more interested in comparisons to Rhapsody and Zaandam (which I think are pretty small in their respective fleets). Also is Glacier Bay worth it in May?

Thanks!!

Edited by Kesstral

Some observations:

1 - Your options based on no flying are very limited, so this looks good.

2 - Thousands of people do this or similar cruises every week. They seem to love it. Looks good.

3 - We have done the Pearl and sister ships many time and love it. If my opinion is worth anything, then it looks good.

Another thought down the road is to think about Repo cruises. Miami to Seattle or the other way around. Yea, you still have to fly one way, but only one way. If you flew to Miami on an overnight flight, you could sleep some, and then enjoy the extended cruise all the way back to Seattle, or sometimes Vancouver.

Hello everyone!

I've never sailed NCL but have done Alaska twice. Since I live in Vancouver, BC and hate flying, I've found that cruising is a great vacation for me.

After having done a giant trip last October to Florida we didn't think we were going to be able to cruise this year. I made the mistake of looking up some last minute fares and stumbled on the 10 night Vancouver-Seattle on Norwegian Pearl. This trip caught my eye because it leaves on our wedding anniversary (we didn't have a honeymoon so I claim every vacation is one) and it goes to Glacier Bay (we've only been to Tracy Arm), Sitka and Icy Strait which are two ports we haven't seen yet.

I've already confirmed that there are no time-off issues with work and the cost of this trip wont break the bank so there are no real limitations on going (unless you consider the "responsible" limitation of just not spending money).

I guess what I'm looking for from this wonderful community is some opinions on the ship and if it's a worthwhile itinerary. We're not going to be doing many excursions and tend to spend a lot of time reading. Our last ship was Allure but I am aware that is a different beast so I'm more interested in comparisons to Rhapsody and Zaandam (which I think are pretty small in their respective fleets). Also is Glacier Bay worth it in May?

Thanks!!

Glacier bay is very scenic and pretty. The weather may be a factor, but that is true with any cruise.

The Pearl has the "great outdoors" on the aft of the ship and it is a great place for eating and viewing scenery if the weather permits.

I have been in Alaska in May (on the Pearl) and had beautiful weather !! YMMV

Why not? You bust your tail all year long working, wishing you were sitting back and being spoiled for a change. Life's short, enjoy, meet great people, and take in the beautiful scenery.

Edited by reaperman

Well NCL just called me because my courtesy hold expired and confirmed they would honour the cruise price in CAD instead of USD. I told them I'd need to check with the TA I was working with to see if they could do the same (which they can't) so will call back to book. With the way the CAD dollar dropped recently that sweetens the deal even more!

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like a great cruise, great ship and great ports.

I would do it if I were you.

We lived in Sitka for awhile back in 1977 and use to watch the cruise ships come in. We have been to Icy Strait in 2007 both are tender ports. Also been on the Pearl twice.

Found these photos.

Hoonah Harbor

1hoonahdock_1_-272x196.jpgAlaska State Flower - "Forget-me-not"

Hoonah Harbor

Sitka, Alaska

alaska-sitka-usa.jpg?w=300&h=199

sitka.jpg?w=500

You can see the cruise ships in the background.

sitka-alaska-fishing.jpg?w=470&h=312

Hi Kesstral - We are on this cruise, but we start in Miami so it will be the 4th "leg" of our btobs. Alaska has been on our "bucket list" for quite some time, so we are really looking forward to it.

If you do decide to book, then come on over to the roll call and say "hi".