Arctic Circle in June

Paloma616

We have just booked a 21 day cruise to the Arctic Circle sailing on the Legend in June. I know that it will be constant daylight, but have no idea as to what the usual weather is like that far north in June.

Can anyone who has done a similar cruise give me some advice.....please.:)

I've been up there twice--on the Legend in June, 2012 (as far north as the North Cape) and in August 2011 ( as far north as Spitzbergen). The August trip had (I was told) very good weather. Once we got north of Alesund it started to cool but was in the high 40's even up in Spitzbergen altho at night it could drop into the 30's. Seas were remarkedly calm considering where we were. The only rain I can remember was one day in the Shetland Islands. The June trip on the other hand left much to be desired. Not particularly cold-in fact quite pleasant south of Stavanger--but a lot of mist, drizzle and some light rain. At the North Cape, one could not see more than 10 feet in front of you and in fact if the bus that took us there wasn't so noisy, I still might be wandering around. There were still 10 foot piles of snow at the North Cape and I'd guess the temp was in the 40"s (The locals told me that this type of weather is sort of normal). I don't want to make the whole trip sound dreadful because there were some sunny, warm (50's) days mixed in (maybe half in total). The seas were quite calm and therefore no problem with ship movement. I would recommend taking a warm sweater, gloves, anorek or wind breaker, jacket and wool hat. Overall was still a great trip. So overall I'm guessing you could have nice weather like I had in August or semi good weather like June--it all depends on Mother Nature.

Thank you Chessie for your prompt and really informative reply. Hope you don't mind another question..on the good weather days that you had,were you able to have Rock The Boat and Theatre under The Stars or any evening entertainment on deck?On our last two Spirit cruises in the Med we really enjoyed these evenings. Thanks again.

Hi, we were on the Sojourn this past August. On August 9th we had Rock the Boat and it was daylight at 11 p.m. What fun! Don't remember Theatre under the Stars. Maybe the best cruise we have ever taken!

I think staging "rock the boat" depends on the weather. We've been on Seabourn 17 times and it seems like it is always scheduled but then cancelled if the weather is inclement--however I don't remember if it was or wasn't performed on our North Cape cruise. I am quite sure we didn't have a "theatre under the stars". If not to cold to sit from 9-11 PM, it would be too light at these hours. I have a picture of my wife on the ship at 12:45 AM--still light!

Thank you both for your really helpful advice. It would seem that we will need to pack warm clothing for wind, rain, mist and snow as well as lighter things for the warmer days(hopefully) along with smart things for evenings on board. Enough clothes and shoes for 3 weeks.......will need lots of luggage allowance!

On the other hand when we were at the North Cape in August a few years ago it was the most beautiful blue sky warm day -- 70 degrees! The crew did tell us that that only happened about one out of every 20 trips up there so best to check the extended weather forecast the day before you leave and adjust your packing accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fred arbuthnot,

You might check to see how many ships are in port that day. We had no other ships and just walked off the ship and onto the train without a planned excursion. You may have already done this on the roll call.

We had very cool weather/ cold indeed as we went north, and only as far as Honnisvag. At the top of the world I wore ear muffs and could have sold them!

We found the more southern ports charming. The fjords are breath takingly beautiful. Bergen is a great city to wander about; be sure to visit the market.

I don't recall pool time [a few polar bear folks were wrapped in blankets] or outside evening entertainment but I may have forgotten the latter.

Have a wonderful cruise. Paula