Formal Night on The Triumph 5-Day To Canada

Leo Jay

Anyone know for sure whether there even IS one on this cruise? And does anyone have knowledge of how dressed up people tend to get on THIS PARTICULAR ship/cruise?

Normally, I love to get dressed up as well as anyone, but the thought of bringing a suit and an extra pair of shoes just for ONE NIGHT out of five, when I'd otherwise be able to pack pretty lightly... I could easily justify taking a nice sportcoat because it will probably get cool enough to wear it on one or two other occasions, and slacks I can always get additional use out of other evenings... but a suit or tux...

At the same time, if there IS a formal night, and if men DO tend to get dressed in SUITS (as opposed to tasteful jacket/tie/slacks), I'll relent rather than miss out on the evening or sticking out like an underdressed sore thumb.

:rolleyes:

I just got off the 5-day this morning. I was one of maybe a dozen men wearing a tuxedo. Maybe half the guys wore ties. The rest, quite frankly, wore slacks and a nice shirt.

I am not one of the folks who has issues with people dressing a particular way for formal night. I was, however, surprised at how awkward I felt for wearing a tuxedo that night.

The formal night is the second night of the cruise, at the end of the first sea day.

I have been truly looking forward to wear my white dinner jacket on formal night. I don't have many events in which to wear it or have not been always able to get it all the way around ;). Now the timing is perfect.

Sticking out?...nah.. Standing out...YES!

Don't get me wrong -- I'll continue to wear my tux every chance I get. I was just surprised, based on my past cruising experience, at just how few other people were dressed up, let alone in "formalwear".

On the plus side, I got quite a few admiring comments as I walked around the ship, which isn't something that happens for me every day (or every year)... ;)

I was just on the Truimph with Dave and all the men in our party wore either a tux or a dark suit and all the women wore dresses you could plug in. All the children dressed as well boys in at least ties and girls in dresses. I feel it is always better to be over dressed than under dressed.;)

Archived