Dubrovnik tours

Should I hire a tour guide in Dubrovnik or is it pretty easy to do on my own?

My personal opinion is yes, but only if you are interested in learning about our history and culture. A guide will be able to show you the hidden gems and will advise which shops sell authentic homemade products. They also will be able to recommend a good local Konaba where you can enjoy some of our fresh seafood or a local culinary treat.

Many guests visit our town and miss so much, do keep in mind Dubrovnik our history dates back to 700AD or perhaps earlier. Make your decision on what type of memories you want to take home.

My personal opinion is yes, but only if you are interested in learning about our history and culture. A guide will be able to show you the hidden gems and will advise which shops sell authentic homemade products. They also will be able to recommend a good local Konaba where you can enjoy some of our fresh seafood or a local culinary treat.

Many guests visit our town and miss so much, do keep in mind Dubrovnik our history dates back to 700AD or perhaps earlier. Make your decision on what type of memories you want to take home.

Can you recommend a guide?

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to have found your post.

We are going to be in Dubrovnik in Sept. I have been searching for tours. There have been very little recommendations here on CC (which is one of my first resources for info when looking for excursions) and have found that most people DIY in Dubrovnik.

I have no clue if I will ever get back there after this cruise, so I want to make sure that I know what I am seeing when I am there. I am sure it is easy to navigate but I can't see looking at things and not understanding the history. Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts on this. I will definitely be booking a tour.

Thank you :)

I'm glad to have found your post.

We are going to be in Dubrovnik in Sept. I have been searching for tours. There have been very little recommendations here on CC (which is one of my first resources for info when looking for excursions) and have found that most people DIY in Dubrovnik.

I have no clue if I will ever get back there after this cruise, so I want to make sure that I know what I am seeing when I am there. I am sure it is easy to navigate but I can't see looking at things and not understanding the history. Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts on this. I will definitely be booking a tour.

Thank you :)

Thank you for taking my advise, especially since September is still a very busy month. Our town has many hidden gems which are often missed by guests. Do your research carefully as we have many tours and as is often the case, some are good and others are better. Enjoy your limited time here, my retirement home is a work of art in itself.

do you speak Croatian?

Born and raised in the states, both parents born in Croatia. When I was a child we spoke both languages at home, later as a teenager I was too embarrassed to let my peers know I knew another language. (Teenage years, yikees) I have been retired here for the past 6 years and the very simple answer is - Yes I speak Croatian. In fact I mostly speak the specific dialect from Dubrovnik. Thank you for asking an important question. By the way I did marry a local 6 years ago, not only a Dalmatian but born and raised in Dubrovnik. Long story short, I met him 43 years ago, my first love.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

OP, I found a number of options on Tours by Locals. I'm signed up for a tour with a guy named Tom, who offers a Game of Thrones tour, and was willing to customize it for my group. We will be there in June. I'll do my best to come back here and post after the cruise, but will definitely post a review on the Celebrity board after the cruise.

We are really looking forward to our day in Croatia.

Born and raised in the states, both parents born in Croatia. When I was a child we spoke both languages at home, later as a teenager I was too embarrassed to let my peers know I knew another language. (Teenage years, yikees) I have been retired here for the past 6 years and the very simple answer is - Yes I speak Croatian. In fact I mostly speak the specific dialect from Dubrovnik. Thank you for asking an important question. By the way I did marry a local 6 years ago, not only a Dalmatian but born and raised in Dubrovnik. Long story short, I met him 43 years ago, my first love.
:) I guessed you could, my question was for 24Butterfly who thinks its is easy to do justice to the city without a guide.

My grandfather (austro-hungarian) owned 50% of the old cement factory in Split, my mother 99yrs still remembers being dropped off at the Palace Hvar in the 30s whilst he went to work. My wife is much younger than me, her father was an officer in the Yugoslavian Navy, her mother is Serbian,she worked on Cruise Ships so I took her off and married her 15 years ago.

:) I guessed you could, my question was for 24Butterfly who thinks its is easy to do justice to the city without a guide.

My grandfather (austro-hungarian) owned 50% of the old cement factory in Split, my mother 99yrs still remembers being dropped off at the Palace Hvar in the 30s whilst he went to work. My wife is much younger than me, her father was an officer in the Yugoslavian Navy, her mother is Serbian,she worked on Cruise Ships so I took her off and married her 15 years ago.

Unfortunately many believe all the towns on our coast do not merit a private guide. All of us have many stories which are interesting. My father was also in the Austrian Hungarian Navy when WWI began. His sailing ship took 31 days to sail from Constantinople to Pula and those are just my family tales. My jeweler has had a shop on the Stradun for more than 100 years. And it goes on and on...so much to share with those who have a desire to learn about our small country which is only 20 years old at this point. But our history can date back to BC...

• 3 weeks later...

Someone told me about Dubrovnik Walks, no reservations or deposits required, just show up before 10 am outside the Pile (pronounced Peela) gate at the big Skybar sign and pay 12 euros and they take you through the town for 2 hours. We did it instead of opting for the more expensive and larger group ship excursion and were very pleased. (We were a group of 10.) They have other itineraries as well and other times but this was perfect for us. We walked the wall in the afternoon, after lunch. Dubrovnik, even in May was very crowded and there were no big ships on port. I cannot imagine it in high season with a few ships in port. Oh, yes I can--the shopping mall just before Christmas.

We normally take ship excursions but this town is easy to do on your own. We did take a cruise line shuttle to and from the gates of the old town. We paid and walked up on the wall around the old town (a must do). We then walked around the old town and saw many of the churches and the synagogue/Jewish museum. It is very easy and safe to do the old town on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums