Cruising with seizure disorder?

blondietink

My DS was just diagnosed with a seizure disorder, but seems to be doing well on the medication the doctor put him on. Has anybody here cruised that has a seizure disorder or went with somebody who had one?

We have some time to figure this out for our December cruise and that cruise is what I would consider close to home. At this point I would not even think about doing a cruise in Europe or a TA.

My son has a seizure disorder, controlled thank God,. Notify the special needs department that your child has a history of seizures so they are aware that he may need assistance during the cruise. Hopefully the medication will control the seizures and they won't be a problem but if you do have an episode, just treat it the way you normally would. Be prepared, have your medication with you, extra in case of being late back to port, take with you on tours if you will be off the ship at normal medication time. If you have rescue meds for those difficult seizures, be sure to have that with you. ( not everyone has rescue medicines, we don't) Just enjoy yourself. Right now the seizure disorder is new and you are still learning, eventually you will just make it a part of your life and work around it. I hope the medication your son is on is successful in controlling the seizures and you are able to enjoy your cruise without worry. You are right to do cruises close to home right now, once you have him stabilized on medications, I wouldn't hesitate to travel farther, just be sure to have travel insurance with medical coverage and maybe even evacuation coverage if needed, but then again, that makes sense for everyone traveling out of the country.

Thank you for your reply. Right now the medication the doctor put him on seems to be working. We have no rescue med and hope we don't ever need to have one. I am still getting used to this as you said and just getting the house safer than it was has been a challenge and trying to figure out how much we have to monitor him during the day and evening. He does have other medical /developmental challenges and this is just one more thing to add to the pot.

A big concern of mine right now with summer coming and he loves swimming so much, is to find a life jacket he can wear all the time when he is swimming. He always wears a life jacket in our boat and jet ski, but now I am looking for something that will be appropriate in case of a seizure in water.