Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls

TrashySue

We are flying into Buenos Aires and want to go to Iguazu Falls pre-cruise. It seems that most flights to the falls leave from AEP and we are flying into EZE. We will arrive very early in the morning. My question is, if we have an afternoon flight will we have enough time to get from one airport to the other considering flight delays, customs, etc? Has anyone had to do this before?

We are flying into Buenos Aires and want to go to Iguazu Falls pre-cruise. It seems that most flights to the falls leave from AEP and we are flying into EZE. We will arrive very early in the morning. My question is, if we have an afternoon flight will we have enough time to get from one airport to the other considering flight delays, customs, etc? Has anyone had to do this before?

Actual transportation time is between 45 minutes and an hour from one airport to the other. Flight delays are difficult to predict and the length of time needed to clear customs varies, depending on a lot of different factors. I have spent as little as 20 minutes and as long as 1.5 hours.

Generally speaking, a minimum of 4 hours between flights should allow enough time. Can you book on the same airline or airline "family"? LAN and American are both part of the One World Alliance, for example. If so, you won't lose your ticket if your flight is delayed.

Just a reminder....if you intend to see the falls from the Brazilian side, and ideally seeing them from both sides is best, especially for photos, you will most likely (depending on passport held) need a visa from the Brazilian consulate with jurisdiction over your residence.

Thanks for your answers. I think we've decided that after a 9 hour flight from the US we're going to stay the night in BA before taking on another airport and flight. Happy travels!

Good idea, time permitting.

Hotels in Recoleta and Palermo are very convenient to the domestic airport (AEP). Aou nd most hotels provide luggage storage so there should be no need to lug all your bags for the cruise along for the short trip to Iguazu.

Edited by dr__dawggy

• 2 weeks later...

I flew LAN from BA to Iguazu Falls, stayed two nights at the Sheraton inside the park. Did the Argentina side of the falls that afternoon on foot. Had plenty of time. The next day had a taxi take me to the Brazil side and took the helicopter tour. It was great, taxi stayed all afternoon and then back to the Sheraton. He picked me up next morning and took me back to BA for flight to São Paulo to spend the night and leave on cruise next day! He was very nice and I tipped him accordingly!

Don't miss Iguazu Falls, it is beautiful!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up your commentary on the other thread to do with Iquazu Falls. Very informative. Thank you very much. We are flying in from BA. Can Canadians pick up the Brazilian visa at Iquazu Falls border point? And a supplemental question: I get that there are plenty of hotel options outside the park in Brazil, but maybe not so in Argentina? It seems that a lot of people stay at The Sheraton. Which is in Argentina.

Picked up your commentary on the other thread to do with Iquazu Falls. Very informative. Thank you very much. We are flying in from BA. Can Canadians pick up the Brazilian visa at Iquazu Falls border point? And a supplemental question: I get that there are plenty of hotel options outside the park in Brazil, but maybe not so in Argentina? It seems that a lot of people stay at The Sheraton. Which is in Argentina.

There is NO instant Brazilian visa at the border.. Either get it at your home Brazilian Consulate, or leave sufficient time to get it in BsAs (several days, afaik) or in a Puerto Iguazu (at least a full day, from what I read, and it will likely not be the 10 year multi-entry visa you'd get at home, but the cost is the same.

There are lots of hotels in the town of Foz do Iguacu, many with a more expansive garden space on the road to the Brazilian park that passes the airport, and the Cataratas inside the Brazilian park.

There are lots of hotels in the town of Puerto Iguazu, and the Sheraton inside the Argentine park.

Yes, a lot of people decide to stay in one of the relatively expensive hotels inside the park. Personally, I am not in that bracket, but consider that I had a very pleasant and informative trip on both sides of the park, without once feeling a need for a private time there, or like I was being crowded by too many tourists as I saw the sights (the ostensible reason for staying inside). I also liked being in town, where I could walk to any number of restaurants/bars at night. A lot of people choose to stay in Puerto, rather than Foz, because they think it cheaper or more atmospheric. Again, I did not feel I was missing anything by staying in Foz, and it was convenient for flying in and out of IGU (Brazil).

Have a great trip.