QE2 This Sat - First Timer!

NiaG

Hi,

I'm going on the Glaciers and Geysers QE2 cruise this Sat and am starting to get v. excited!! I'm travelling with my mother and 22 month old daughter, so an interesting combination. We ordered a crib, but not sure it'll turn up so I'm going to take a travel cot as well (just hope there's enough space :( ).

Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? My daughter goes to bed at 6PM so we will be relying on babysitting / baby monitor in the evening. Does anyone have any good ideas of how to 'fence off' a toddler so that we can get dressed for the evening while she sleeps in the cabin?

Also what excursions would anyone recomend, it would have to be half days as the nursery shuts for lunch?

What is the dress code for getting on board? We've been given 2 - 4 as a boarding time but don't fancy standing in a long queue with an active toddler!?

Any tips / ideas would be happily received!

Thanks

Nia

Hi,

I'm going on the Glaciers and Geysers QE2 cruise this Sat and am starting to get v. excited!! I'm travelling with my mother and 22 month old daughter, so an interesting combination. We ordered a crib, but not sure it'll turn up so I'm going to take a travel cot as well (just hope there's enough space :( ).

Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? My daughter goes to bed at 6PM so we will be relying on babysitting / baby monitor in the evening. Does anyone have any good ideas of how to 'fence off' a toddler so that we can get dressed for the evening while she sleeps in the cabin?

Also what excursions would anyone recomend, it would have to be half days as the nursery shuts for lunch?

What is the dress code for getting on board? We've been given 2 - 4 as a boarding time but don't fancy standing in a long queue with an active toddler!?

Any tips / ideas would be happily received!

Thanks

Nia

Nia,

When we took our young one (12 months) - we ordered a cot - and it was there in the cabin when we boarded. Best that you check with Cunard that they will supply one, though.

Re. Baby sitting - there is no baby sitting available on the first and last nights (no idea why). After that, you can book a baby sitter for the evenings - at a cost..... On the last evening though, they held a pyjama party for the kids until midnight.

Re. Fencing off- that depends on which category cabin you're in. In general though, you'll not be able to fence off. Maybe you can stagger your 'getting ready' so that one of you gets ready first thereby freeing up the cabin for the other and making things 'quiet' to help your daughter get off to sleep.

Re. baby monitor. There is no 'baby listening' service. If you take a baby monitor from home, I'm afraid that the range will be much reduced owing to the amount of metal work around the ship. Typically we found that we could go one deck up or down and then about 40/50 feet in either direction. Not much. Try to place the monitors near the windows - that works best. Also, ask a member of staff to have the baby monitor in a location near them that works. Eg. If they are 'stationed' at the outside of a room and you are in the middle - then it'll work for them - but not for you.

Re. The nursery. You can get to it via the (steep!!!) staircase by the Queens Grill lounge. Alternatively (and you'll have to figure this out with a bit of cunning) if you go through the Queens Grill Lounge and turn sharp left just before the bar, there's a lift that goes up one deck to the nursery. Come out the lift, turn left and then there is a door on the left (not marked) that is the back door in to the Nursery. (Useful route if you've got a push chair etc). The nursery staff are *wonderful*. After our last cruise we sent a letter of comendation to Cunard praising them (as they really deserved it). They will keep your kid very well entertained. You can expect some excellent 'look what I did today' things!!!

Have a great time!!!!

Hi!

Thank you so much for your reply VERY helpful! We've ordered a cot so hopefully it will be there! :) (Might take a travel one just in case - I'm a little paranoid!!) When was the nursery open from / until? If you do excursions do they keep them over lunch? Did you pay tips for you little one? We are in a M3 cabin (one of the larger ones but I know they are still quite small). My daughter still has a bottle of full fat milk to go off to sleep with - did you find that you could get milk etc easily?

Re. the evenings, I think we're jsut going to wing it, Ella hasn't woken in the evening for months so regular checks back should do it (touch wood:p ).

Cheers,

Nia

Hi!

When was the nursery open from / until? If you do excursions do they keep them over lunch? Did you pay tips for you little one? My daughter still has a bottle of full fat milk to go off to sleep with - did you find that you could get milk etc easily?

Re. the evenings, I think we're jsut going to wing it, Ella hasn't woken in the evening for months so regular checks back should do it (touch wood:p ).

Cheers,

Nia

Re. Opening times - 10:00 till 12:00 and 14:00-18:00 (plus the pyjama party!!!)

Re. Excursions - They didn't do over lunch, but what we did was take the afternoon ashore. Maybe though you could arrange a babysitter for the 2 hour lunch period.

Re. Milk - Easy. Order from room service - or better still - ask your room steward when you board what you'd like delivered in the morning/evening. There's a fridge in the cabin so you can keep fresh milk/bottles in there. If you use formula - order bottled water from room service.

Re. Winging it - that's what we did. Even if you take the monitor with you to a part of the ship out of range - as you walk back into range you'll be able to see/hear if all ok.

Re. Tips. Yes we did. They looked very surprised, but grateful.

Re. Arranging baby sitting. You might read in the 'Information book' to call extension x to book it. Don't bother - it's all changed. Best ask at the nursery.

It's vital that you take a push chair with you. Walking around the ship can get very tiring and there are quite a few stairs to negotiate. Worst is up to the Sun Deck - which is either via an external series of stairs - or one steep long staircase from inside. Fellow passengers (Gentlemen?) will offer to carry the front of the push chair (usually!!).

Hi Pete,

Thanks so much - you've put my mind seriously at rest was starting to get a little nervous. I was getting suspicious as they don't seem to advertise their kiddy facilities yet they seem very good.

Thanks again!!

Nia

Also what excursions would anyone recomend?

As we will be on the same cruise as you (and look forward to), I might share my thoughts about the excursions. It looks like the only tricky ports are those in Iceland.

In Invergordon you might comfortably take your daughter with you on one of the castle excursions; you will either be on the coach, on the castle grounds with park areas or in small villages, altogether five hours. All walking will probably be to your discretion.

In Iceland the excursion might be either too tiring (all day, with a lot of walking) and/or too boring (two hours on a bus). On board we will get exact times for the excursions, thus you will be able to see which fit in the time schedule of the nursery.

All of the Norwegian ports you can do on you own if your like. Your schedule, your timing. Maybe a half-day tour in Geiranger will start after 14.00 h and be worthwhile for you to take but certainly in the cities Alesund, Bergen and Trondheim you can do without an excursion.

I am sure you will enjoy!

don;'t really know much to hrelp in the way of your daughter, hope we all get a chance to meet up. nia could be not far away from me. but carlmm is in a princess it it. do call me in 3006 so i will know your cabin numbers.

the excursions i'm thinkinbg of doing are;

INVERGORDON--GLENMORANGE DISTILERRY

REYKJAVIK--LAVA,BIRDS,AND BLUE LAGOON.

AKUREYRI--GADAFOSS WATERFALLS

FLAAM I'M DOUING THE TRAIN TRIP ON MY OWN

GEIRANGER--THE MOUNTAIN FARM

ALESUND--ISLAND TOUR OF GISKE AND GODOY

TRONDHEIM VINTAGE RLY AND MINES

BERGEN I'M MEETING COUPLE OFF THE ARTEMIS DOING A TOUR OF THE OLD TOWN ON OUR OWN. THEREE ARE 3 SHIPS WHEN WE ARE IN BERGEN.

DAVE

Archived