Shopping

Seany527

Ill be going on the Splendor next week, stoping in Nassau and Freeport. I wanted to get my mom a little something, somewhat authentic to the islands but I'm at a complete loss. All I can really think of would be like bar soap, which is kinda like a lame gift. I was wondering if any of you guys had suggestions on where to go on either island and what to get?

On Nassau, in the cruise terminal they have many local items available. Including shells and many items made from shells like jewelry, night lights, etc.

would your mother enjoy Rum Cakes? They are available both on the Ship and on the islands. The cruise center in Nassau has a large variety available. There are variety packs available that have a variety of flavors in a small sizes (2-4 servings per cake). My husband loves these! Just watch the expiration dates on the boxes.

On Nassau, in the cruise terminal they have many local items available. Including shells and many items made from shells like jewelry, night lights, etc.

would your mother enjoy Rum Cakes? They are available both on the Ship and on the islands. The cruise center in Nassau has a large variety available. There are variety packs available that have a variety of flavors in a small sizes (2-4 servings per cake). My husband loves these! Just watch the expiration dates on the boxes.

Perfect, I would love to bring her home a little treat! Thank you :)

I LOVE the soaps that are in the terminal, only made in the Bahamas, get them everytime we go there.. understand your feelings, but works for me

I try to get spices at every port I go to as well, that are local. We don't do souvenirs any longer for others....

have a great cruise

Nina from Baltimore

We were in Nassau may of 2013. I did a ton of research on these boards for souvenirs. What I read was that not many cruisers were fond of the straw market. I found this lovely place called Bahama art and handicraft. All items are made by local artists and crafters. It is in a restored Bahamian house on Shirley street. They have strawork, shellwork, paintings, jewlery and woodcraft to name a few. I purchased hand painted christmas ornaments and a handmade Junkaboo ornament made out of straw for a remembrance of my trip .You can google them or they do have a facebook page as well. I wanted to support local artists .So if you want authentic craft this is the place to go.

http://bahamaartandhandicraft.com

http://www.bahamaartandhandicraft.com/images/map.jpg

Directions:

Coming from Downtown?

Head east until you see the Harbour Bay Shopping Centre and turn into it

Drive straight over until you reach Shirley Street. Turn on to it.

Two doors before the next stop light, on your right is Bahama Art

Catching a bus from Cable Beach?

Catch a #10 bus from Cable Beach to downtown.

When downtown, walk to 'Rawson Square' catch a #9a bus (they line up in front of Scotia Bank)

The #9a will eventually run right past Bahama Art on Shirley St. as shown on the map above. Make sure you get off before the light at the Kemp Road / Shirley Street intersection

Coming from Paradise Island / Atlantis?

Cross over the bridge

Head east until you see the Harbour Bay Shopping Centre and turn right to enter.

Drive straight over until you reach Shirley Street. Turn on to it.

Two doors before the next stop light, on your left is Bahama Art.

• 2 weeks later...