Very Detailed Itinerary for Yukon and Bennett excursions

LoveCruising001

Hello. For all the help I am getting from this board I thought I will pay something forward. I was having a hard time choosing between the 2 tours that Chillkoot offers in Skagway for the bus rail combination - the Yukon Rail & Bus excursion v/s the Bennett Scenic Journey. What helped me make my choice was the detailed itinerary for the two excursions that I got from them which I am sharing here and hope it is helpful to someone. We decided to do the Bennett Scenic Journey! We are there on a Tuesday so this trip starts with the bus. Check the day of the week to see if it is train first.

BENNETT SCENIC JOURNEY (bus first)-ITINERARY

8:15AM - Pickup time at dock

8:30AM - Depart Skagway by bus

8:30AM - 10:45AM - Skagway to Emerald Lake by bus (78.3 miles) with various stops along the way Stops Include: Bracket Wagon Road pullout, Pitchfork Falls pullout, William Moore Bridge pullout, Welcome to Alaska Sign, Canadian Customs, Restrooms at Fraser Train Depot, Tutshi Lake pullout, Welcome to the Yukon Territory Sign, Bove Island pullout, pass through outskirts of Carcross to the Smallest Desert in the World pullout (if time permits) , Emerald Lake pullout

10:45AM - Arrive at Emerald Lake by bus

10:55AM - Depart Emerald Lake by bus

11:10AM - Arrive at Carcross by bus

11:10AM - 11:30AM - Time spent in Carcross at train depot or visiting Matthew Watson General Store

11:30AM All aboard train at Carcross

11:30AM - 12:55PM - Train excursion from Carcross to Lake Bennett Train Depot by train

12:55PM – 2:10PM - Lunch at Lake Bennett, FREE National Park Service Guided Walking Tour

2:10PM - All aboard train at Lake Bennett

2:10PM - 4:45PM Train Excursion from Lake Bennett to Skagway by train

4:45PM - Arrive in Skagway by train

***TIMES AND STOPS MAY VARY***

YUKON RAIL & BUS EXCURSION (train first)-ITINERARY

7:30AM - Pickup time at dock

7:30AM-7:45AM - Transport by bus to train station

8:00AM - Depart Skagway by train

8:00AM - 9:45AM - Travel by train from Skagway to Fraser Train Depot (27.8 miles)

10:00AM Depart Fraser by bus traveling northbound through British Columbia and into the Yukon Territory
Stops Include: Bracket Wagon Road pullout, Pitchfork Falls pullout, Bridal Veil Falls pullout (if time permits), William Moore Bridge Pullout, Welcome to Alaska Sign, Tormented Valley pullout and restroom stop, Tutshi Lake pullout, Welcome to the Yukon Territory Sign, Bove Island pullout, Carcross YT, Smallest Desert in the World pullout, Emerald Lake pull out

11:30AM - Arrive at Caribou Crossing Trading Post by bus

11:30AM - 12:45PM Lunch, Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp at Caribou Crossing Trading Post

12:45PM - Depart by bus from Caribou Crossing to Skagway, AK (70 miles) with stops at various points of interest along the way
Stops Include: Anything from the above stops that were not visited on the trip northbound

3:00PM - 3:15PM - Arrive in Skagway by bus

YUKON RAIL & BUS EXCURSION (bus first)-ITINERARY

8:30AM - Pickup time at dock

8:30AM - Depart Skagway by bus

8:30AM - 11:15AM - Skagway to Emerald Lake by bus (78.3 miles) with various stops along the way
Stops Include: Bracket Wagon Road pullout, Pitchfork Falls pullout, Bridal Veil Falls pullout (if time permits), William Moore Bridge Pullout, Welcome to Alaska Sign, Tormented Valley pullout and restroom stop, Tutshi Lake pullout, Welcome to the Yukon Territory Sign, Bove Island pullout, stop in Carcross (if time permits), Smallest Desert in the World pullout, Emerald Lake pull out
11:25AM - Depart Emerald Lake to Caribou Crossing Trading Post by bus

11:30AM - Arrive at Caribou Crossing Trading Post by bus

11:30AM - 12:45PM Lunch, Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp at Caribou Crossing Trading Post

12:45PM - Depart by bus from Caribou Crossing to Fraser Train Depot (50 miles) with stops at various points of interest along the way

Stops Include: Anything from the above stops that were not visited on the trip northbound

2:30PM - Arrive at Fraser Train Depot by bus

2:30PM – All aboard train at Fraser

2:45PM - Depart Fraser Train Depot to Skagway by train

4:00PM - 4:15PM - Arrive in Skagway by train

Thanks for such detailed information. I have visited Lake Bennett twice. It is amazing. The first time we picked up the train in Fraser, I think since part of the track from Carcross was shut down because of high water that year. We thought that was great! The second time we picked up the train in Carcross and that was double amazing!

Be sure to take the walk up to the church. The views are fantastic. Read about the Chilkoot Trail and the struggles of the miners before you go to give you a better understanding of the significance of Lake Bennett. Carcross has a wonderful visitors center and you will find more information in the train station.

Sit on the right side of the train which will give you closer views of the lake and mountains.