Formal Nights, Long Dresses?

Iwilder

You could try the Canaletto one formal night, smart casual.....no shorts.

We hope to try everything this time. Last time was our first cruise anywhere. 7 night Inside Passage on the Zuiderdam. We had just got used to the ship and begun to find our way around and it was time to get off. Also, I hadn't found CC either. I now know a lot more than I did before.

We recently booked a 22 night Med cruise again on the Zuiderdam and we have a hold on a 10 night New England and Canada cruise which I think will be on the Eurodam. Both of these are in 2015. I am really excited about these cruises and keep forgetting that we have 3 River cruises in September/October this year. I will have to concentrate on them for a while now. Lots of planning still to do for them.

I wear long ankle length dresses or dressy palazzo pants/dressy skirts with sparkly tops on Formal night..I don't call them gowns as they have sleeves &/or jackets..

DH used to bring his TUX but lately he only brings a dark suit on a normal cruise.. .:D

We now dress exactly the same way. I used to wear long gowns, but stopped and DH no longer brings his tux, but we are always dressed appropriately.

So, those of us who do like to dress for dinner should whine louder and longer that we're being deprived of formal nights! HAL will have to schedule more dressy nights to shut US up!

It's a plan. :D

Sounds like a plan to me, Ruth. I love to wear my long gowns and don't care whether anyone else does.:rolleyes:

I did a search but all the responses were several years ago, at that time many ladies were still wearing long gowns. But what is everyone wearing in 2014? I would love to wear a long gown but I don't want to be the Lone Stranger. Please ladies tell me what you wore and what you saw on your latest cruise.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I shall take your advice, wear my long dress, feel elegant and carry on with vigor! And I'd like to join the effort to save the formal nights. Let us go forth bravely in our beautiful long dresses, our elegant slacks and sparkly tops with our handsomely turned out men...let those who chose not to dress go to the Lido...and eat cake!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I shall take your advice, wear my long dress, feel elegant and carry on with vigor! And I'd like to join the effort to save the formal nights. Let us go forth bravely in our beautiful long dresses, our elegant slacks and sparkly tops with our handsomely turned out men...let those who chose not to dress go to the Lido...and eat cake!

I'm starting to practice hair styles on my girls :) I already know the "up-dos" I'm going to use on myself! SO excited to dress up!! I think that being surrounded by well dressed people makes the tone of the evening that much better.

I'm starting to practice hair styles on my girls :) I already know the "up-dos" I'm going to use on myself! SO excited to dress up!! I think that being surrounded by well dressed people makes the tone of the evening that much better.

That will be cute. When I was young the next door neighbour would come over to babysit. She always did our hair and I loved that:).

That will be cute. When I was young the next door neighbour would come over to babysit. She always did our hair and I loved that:).

My girls have very curly ringlets. Its fun to braid and put up. Interest has given me a bunch of fun ideas.

Only 3 formal nights? Did HAL stop the "2 formals nights per week" thing? I was expecting 4 formal nights for our 14 day Alaska cruise.

I plan to wear long evening dresses.

There is only 3 formals on my upcoming 14 day cruise. Maybe they are tired of people that complain about them or whine because they have to dress up.

I'm also doing the 14 day Alaska Cruise and have been following all 4 of the roll call threads. On the May 18th roll call thread they already have their edocs and it's been mentioned that there are 4 formal nights. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42259339&postcount=1061

I'm hoping our June 22nd cruise has 4 formal nights too because I'm packing for 4. I also love to wear my two full length Mother of the Groom dresses and I don't care if I'm the only one. I've never been the only one on the two other HAL cruises we've done.

Utahtea

I'm also doing the 14 day Alaska Cruise and have been following all 4 of the roll call threads. On the May 18th roll call thread they already have their edocs and it's been mentioned that there are 4 formal nights. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42259339&postcount=1061

I'm hoping our June 22nd cruise has 4 formal nights too because I'm packing for 4. I also love to wear my two full length Mother of the Groom dresses and I don't care if I'm the only one. I've never been the only one on the two other HAL cruises we've done.

Utahtea

Please check back in when you have yours docs if you also have 4 nights.

What the docs say often is not what happens on the ship. It wouldn't surprise me if you only had 3, but you probably won't know that until you're on the ship

I have heard it's up to the captain of the ship and so no matter what is on the edocs....it is subject to change.

On Holland American's website under general information on page 8 in the Clothing section they say there are approximately 2 formal nights per 7 day cruise and 3 formal nights on a 10 day cruise. https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

I for one want to make sure I have enough to wear for the maximum number of formal nights possible. :D

Not only will I report back what is on my edocs, I'll report back on how many formal nights we have after the cruise.

Utahtea

Edited by utahtea

I guess I've been lucky because what has been on my edocs has matched with the amount of formal nights. For my 14 day cruise coming up shortly its says 3 which is less than usual. Ill make do with 3 formal outfits if there is a forth.

I love to wear gowns on formal nights that really is the only time I get to dress up. DH wears his tux and we always see other couples dressed as we are. If we have several formal nights then I will mix it up and wear a gown and then maybe a formal pants suit then the 3rd formal night wear a floor length skirt with a fancy top.

Hi

I bought a gown at David's bridal in 2012 for my Alaska cruise (14 days) I fould a dressy formal pant suit at Salvation Army for next to nothing. Also another formal dress at salvation army. On the alaska cruise a lot of women did dress up. I am looking for a dressy top. I have dressy slacks and nice tops. I do dress uo for dinner. (not really formal) but something I would wear to church or wedding. I never dress up at home if I go out to dinner. these clothes are just for cruiseing.

Other peolple do not dress up Ok with me I only care what I wear. I don't judge what others wear.

Mary

Hi

I bought a gown at David's bridal in 2012 for my Alaska cruise (14 days) I fould a dressy formal pant suit at Salvation Army for next to nothing. Also another formal dress at salvation army. On the alaska cruise a lot of women did dress up. I am looking for a dressy top. I have dressy slacks and nice tops. I do dress uo for dinner. (not really formal) but something I would wear to church or wedding. I never dress up at home if I go out to dinner. these clothes are just for cruiseing.

Other peolple do not dress up Ok with me I only care what I wear. I don't judge what others wear.

Mary

Mary,

Hopefully we will be seeing each other all dressed up on our upcoming Alaska cruise! I have my two "mother's of the groom" dresses that I though I'd only wear once for the weddings and they have both been worn so many times it's not funny. Last year for the Panama Canal cruise I bought a regularly priced $200 long gown that Nordstrom's use to carry for less than $40 at Ross. I can't wait to wear it again.

Utahtea

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have been looking since page one on this board and have not seen how many formal nights there will be on my 7 day Montreal to Boston cruise. I am a Platinum cruiser on Carnival and have that one down. Not sure about Holland American. Would appreciate any information ya"ll could share.

Ok, I have been looking since page one on this board and have not seen how many formal nights there will be on my 7 day Montreal to Boston cruise. I am a Platinum cruiser on Carnival and have that one down. Not sure about Holland American. Would appreciate any information ya"ll could share.

You might ask on your roll call or ask on an old roll call of someone who has previously done this cruise.

I found this thread: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1859681

Utahtea

Edited by utahtea

Usually 2 formal nights on a 7-day HAL cruise. Almost always 2, but I'm sure there have been exceptions ;)

Found this thread too http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1876519

Utahtea

• 3 weeks later...
Please check back in when you have yours docs if you also have 4 nights.

I have my edocs for the 14 day Alaska Cruise on June 22 and it says:

Dress Code: 4 Formal and 10 Smart Casual Nights

:D

Utahtea

The people in formal attire have declined over the years. I think due to two reasons: US attire is becoming more casual AND the fees for luggage.

My experience is that the people driving to port the women often wear beautiful long gowns--those of flying in--not so much.

I took one of my lovely long MOB dresses on one cruise--but won't on our Baltic cruise.

Wear what you want--