An Open Letter to CCL on "Kids Sail Free"

T2C

[quote name='prattmom']I prefer selecting the rate that gets me the best deal based on my situation. I don't always sail with my kids but always select my cabin. Someone else might not care which cabin they're in, but sail with their kids. Each of us to select the best deal for our individual needs. I usually book early saver which comes with its own set of issues. Carnivals marketing allows you to select what works best for you. Just because you can't combine discounts doesn't mean anything is wrong with it...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I have booked under Past Guest, Pack and Go, Early Saver, Resident Rates, etc. I appreciate having options so that I can pick and choose the rate code based on my particular needs at any given time.

Just like when shopping at a retail store. I know what an items costs, or at least what I am willing to pay for it. If the Sunday ad has a sale that I like, I will buy. If I don't think the sale is good enough, I wait. Same with cruises. I keep current on the prices and know what I am willing to pay. Lots of sales aren't really sales, but that is true with cruises, cars, groceries, clothing, etc.

[quote name='BabyJacks17']I think it's funny that so many people, no matter how the facts are laid out for them still want to argue that Carnival is being dishonest with this promotion. I'm shocked so many are veteran cruisers too!

Sidebar: You could create a really fun drinking game by taking a shot every time the word "deceiving" appears in this thread. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Its simple, when t he HUGE RED HEADLINE says "KIDS SAIL FREE" You kinda expect that there is SOME TRUTH to it...

Just cause the disclaimer says its a certain rate code, you would still think that that rate code would still actually have "KIDS SAIL FREE", based on the normal price... Not just double the first two to compensate for it.

[quote name='morganboys']evidently it is because you aren't seeming to understand it.[/QUOTE]

I completely understand it. I know how the code fares work. But when it says kids sail free they should be free. The early saver rate was listed with 4 people with all taxes and Port charges at $1689, the fun Saver rate is $2152, the kids sail free promo comes out to $2252. As anyone can see, that is not free in any shape or form.

[quote name='morganboys']evidently it is because you aren't seeming to understand it.[/QUOTE]

I understand it too... Let me ask you this...

You see an ad in the local newspaper... Coke 12 packs, are buy one, get one free... So you drive to the store to get some...

When you arrive, there are two shelves, both with Coke 12 packs, both the same size cans, bottled the same day... exact same thing..

SHELF ONE SIGN: Coca-Cola: 3 dollars per 12 Pack

SHELF TWO SIGN: Coca-Cola: BUY ONE GET ONE FREE! 6 Dollars Per 12 Pack

Now, would you buy the Shelf 2 one and REALLY think you got one free? Even though the fine print says "Based on "Buy one get one free Standard Rate Code"?

The average person has no idea what a "Rate Code" is. And even if they did you would assume, REGARDLESS of a rate code, that One Free is One free. Same with this Carnival Promotion.

Its deceptive advertising at best. And possibly illegal in some states. The old expression "Don't pee on my head and tell me its raining" comes to mind. :P Edited by CarnivalPlatCruiser

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']I completely understand it. I know how the code fares work. But when it says kids sail free they should be free. The early saver rate was listed with 4 people with all taxes and Port charges at $1689, the fun Saver rate is $2152, the kids sail free promo comes out to $2252. As anyone can see, that is not free in any shape or form.[/QUOTE]

What's not free about that? It's not applicable with the early saver rate. And the $100 difference between the other two is probably taxes/fees. Seems legit to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums Edited by Fitzget

[quote name='Fitzget']What's not free about that? It's not applicable with the fun saver rate. And the $100 difference between the other two is probably taxes/fees. Seems legit to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

Well considering the kids sail free is higher than the normal rates, that's not very legit.

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']Well considering the kids sail free is higher than the normal rates, that's not very legit.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about two completely different sales. One has nothing to do with the other. If the early saver is cheaper, it seems like a win win. Who cares about the other sale.

I'm not sure why some people don't understand the concept of "not combinable with other sales or offers". The early saver is a sale price. Kids sail free is a sale price. Can't be used together.

[quote name='Fitzget']You're talking about two completely different sales. One has nothing to do with the other. If the early saver is cheaper, it seems like a win win. Who cares about the other sale.

I'm not sure why some people don't understand the concept of "not combinable with other sales or offers". The early saver is a sale price. Kids sail free is a sale price. Can't be used together.

I'm referring to the fact that kids sail free is still higher than the regular fun saver rate.

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']I'm referring to the fact that kids sail free is still higher than the regular fun saver rate.[/QUOTE]

By $100, which is probably taxes/port fees for the kids. They said kids sail free except port charges/taxes. Still free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='Fitzget']By $100, which is probably taxes/port fees for the kids. They said kids sail free except port charges/taxes. Still free.

Both fares are figured with taxes. The "kids sail free" sale is higher than the regular price.

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']Both fares are figured with taxes. The "kids sail free" sale is higher than the regular price.[/QUOTE]

The rate is higher because it's figured with taxes for extra people (the kids). The lower rate is figured with taxes for only 2 people.

So if you have 2 people on the fun saver rate, the taxes would be for 2 people. If you have 4 people on the kids sail free rate (2 adults 2 kids) the taxes are figured for 4 people. That would make the total cost higher due to the taxes.

The actual cruise fare is still free for the kids.

[quote name='Fitzget']The rate is higher because it's figured with taxes for extra people (the kids). The lower rate is figured with taxes for only 2 people.

So if you have 2 people on the fun saver rate, the taxes would be for 2 people. If you have 4 people on the kids sail free rate (2 adults 2 kids) the taxes are figured for 4 people. That would make the total cost higher due to the taxes.

How is this a sale? It would cost you more money to book a cruise with the sale price. That's exactly my point. It's not really a sale

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']How is this a sale? It would cost you more money to book a cruise with the sale price. That's exactly my point. It's not really a sale[/QUOTE]

How is it not a sale? Try booking the fun saver rate with 4 people.

And if the early saver is available and that much cheaper, who cares anyway? Book an early saver.

Do you expect the taxes/port fees to be free on the kids sail free promo too?

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']How is this a sale? It would cost you more money to book a cruise with the sale price. That's exactly my point. It's not really a sale[/QUOTE]

Or are you saying the fun saver rate was $2152 with 4 people?

[quote name='Mizzouaholic']I'm referring to the fact that kids sail free is still higher than the regular fun saver rate.[/QUOTE]

Because the fun saver rate is already a sale rate and you cannot combine the kids sail free sale with another sale. What the *explicative* is so hard to understand about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by irishnyc

I feel that had Carnival left the fun select rate on the booking engine for everyone to see, alongside the KSF and whatever other promotions they had people wouldn't moaning, myself included. It's because it was hidden in the small print, that it looks deceptive, plus they also had the wrong prices posted when the KSF hit our screens.

More transparency is the key.:rolleyes:

[quote name='irishnyc']Because the fun saver rate is already a sale rate and you cannot combine the kids sail free sale with another sale. What the *explicative* is so hard to understand about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'm serious. This poster must be just toying with others, because nobody is that thick.

Nothing in the terms is confusing and it's all transparent. The fun select information is on the very first line of the details!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

[quote name='t2c']dear ccl beards,

you really need people who can and do use common sense when it comes to the promotions/sales ccl puts out.
The "kids sail free" thing really makes me crazy. It's stated that kids, as a 3rd and 4th passenger sail free but that not even how ccl has it set up.
The price for my cruise, when i just checked it, says the price is $770 per person. Now, that, comes to $1540 for the 1st 2 people and if the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin are kids and they "sail free" then the price should still be $1540.
Ccl however is not letting the "kids sail free", they add the $770 per person for them also and the price is $3,078.00. That's not letting the "kids sail free"! That's obviously charging them.

Please, see how stupid doing this is. If you are going to run a "kids sail free" promotion then live up to it and let them "sail free". Heck, this not only looks like an out and out bold face lie, it is! Heck, just charge the 1st 2 passengers $1540 each and then actually let the 3rd and 4th passengers (kids) "sail free". At least that would be being honest.
John, you got to get in the ears of the beards because this kind of bullock drives people crazy and does not help the ccl brand shine.[/quote]

well said!

[quote name='Clarksfan1']Obviously if you look at the definition of dishonest it's not technically dishonest, but deceiving, absolutely. I don't care if your a Carnival apologist or not, every single one of us have been in a situation where we have been deceived by a company, and it never leaves a good taste in your mouth.

The Sale should say.....Kids sail Free.....if you pay the rack rates.....which are never really used.....unless we are having a sale.....then we will use those as Pawns in our game.

And I'm sure that many of the people, who are defending Carnival here, in their everyday lives get upset at the slightest bit of feeling deceived. But since this is their precious baby "Carnival" they get defensive....It's like politics.....if you never disagree with your team (in this case Carnival) then your opinion is thrown out, because you will never disagree with them.

It's not hard...this is an easy one.....just say "Although I love Carnival This is kind of deceiving" and move on.....Carnival is not your child....they don't need defended....What they need is their stock prices to go up![/QUOTE]

Not deceiving at all if you read the terms of the sale. Posted below it clairly states 3rd/4th/5th guest are free comniable with Carnival's Fun Select Rates only. And dosn't include Taxes, Fees and Port Charges.

KIDS SAIL FREE
Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. 3rd/4th/5th guests are free combinable with Carnival’s Fun Select rates only. $50 per person non-refundable deposit is applicable to sailings outside of final payment due date and it is valid for all ships, stateroom types and sail dates. Final payment due date is 30 days prior to sailing for sailings between May 1, 2014 – August 28, 2014. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Offer is for the cruise fare only and does not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $42.38 to $324.27, and are assessed on a per guest basis for all guests according to the itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom, but a minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Cancellation penalties apply. Offer bookings made as part of a group will include amenities. Offer is not applicable on Carnival Australia sailings. Offer is applicable on new bookings made between March 29, 2014 and April 4, 2014 EST on select cruises that depart between April 26, 2014 and August 28, 2014. Please request rate code PKF. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

My kid are on their own now so the free kid pricing does not apply to me but based on what I have read I liken this to this situation:

I go to the store and ask for the price of a dozen oranges. The reply is: With or without skins? California or Florida? Ripe or not ripe? Loose or in a bag. On a branch or off a branch? Etc.. Now that corporations are people, they have learned our tricks.

FWIW, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments of the OP. Kids sail free is misleading.

[SIZE=2][B][SIZE=3] 'Kids sail free if you pay the rate which is 50% higher than the one you could get without kids[/SIZE]'[/B][/SIZE] - now there's a promotion which will have the bookings flooding in.