Change of dock at Bermuda ?

I have always beleived that the Dream is docking at Hamiliton on the TA but from recent posts it apears that the ship will dock at the Hertigate Wharf at the Dockyard. A long way from Hamilton. This may make a difference to those planning DIY trip - particularly at our full day will be on a Sunday and Easter!. Has anyone else picked up on this change.

On Bermuda's port site it is shown as docking at heritage wharf and not in Hamilton itself.
So it looks like we will have to get a bus or ferry into Hamilton, not so great for an evening stroll around the town.

From my reserch most things will be closed in the evening. Sunday is a very quiet day anyway. I am really cross if this change of berth is correct as I had planned to go to St Georges on the bus - only possible on a Sunday from Hamiliton as very constricted service. The Ferries which serve the Dockyard to both Hamiliton and St Georges do not run on a Sunday. And it will impossible to walk around Hamilton in the evening. This is a real let down if true.

I've just checked on the ports website and the Dream is down to dock in Hamilton.
I really don't want to go to the other one as it is for large american cruise ships and will just be full of the usual shops and chain restaurants.

Just checked the official port schedule again, and it is booked at Heritage Wharf on the 20/21 April.
A large American ship dock on the 21 April so Sunday will be quiet. It looks as if a Thomson Trip may be the only way to get about.

The Dream is 798 foot long and I think there is a limit of 720 feet for ships docking in Hamilton.

Ron

Found this on a website...seems to suggest that dream won't be docking in Hamilton

Hamilton City has 2 cruise berths. Both can take ships of up to 750-foot. So only small to medium size ships can dock here. A big advantage of the Hamilton Port location is that you can walk right across to Front Street as you come out of the ship. Front Street is the main bustling place of Hamilton with all the glittering shops, best of restaurants and activities.

There is a public ferry terminal at the western end of Front Street. A direct ferry to the dockyard takes about 25 minutes. St. George is also connected by ferry via the dockyard. The city has the main terminals for Bermuda buses. So you can easily reach out to any place within the island from here. Check out Bermuda Transportation for all the transport options in Bermuda.

Update October 2011: A study by the Ministry of Transport has revealed that cruise ships that are longer than 720-foot are unable to safely navigate through the Two Rock Passage and dock at the Hamilton port. This leaves only 30 small ships out of the total of 165 that currently operate from Europe and US to enter the Hamilton port. This includes the Veendam and its three sister ships.

Dream is 798 foot......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have just been reading the excusion info and the island tour discribe a trip leaving Hamiliton and visiting the Dockyard before returning to the ship. A revamping of excursion will be needed.

[quote name='Ashby']The problem is that Ferries do not run on Sundays ![/quote]

The ferries do run on a Sunday, starting at 9.30am from dockyard. It will be slightly inconvenient but still doable. I've adjusted our plans, one for Hamilton and one for dockyard.
Look on the bright side at least we are still going. If we thought it was dockyard from the beginning we would just have arranged ourselves to accommodate this.