Anyone ever had senior pics taken on a Carnival cruise?

Whimsy88

Our DS will be getting ready to start his senior year of high school shortly after our July cruise on the Freedom. Has anyone ever had senior pictures taken on board or in port? Ports on our cruise are San Juan, PR, St. Maarten, Grand Turk and St. Kitts. Our son loves to travel, and we thought the pics might be more meaningful this way.

i dont see why not.. depending on the length of the crusie they do formal night photos once or twice.. and on non formal night they do "fun photos" as long as he doesnt mind standing in various lines and trying different backdrops.. hell have loads to pic from!

Check the yearbook requirements -- they may require an electronic submission, or that the picture be a closeup on a neutral background.

Know the requirements so that you capture a shot that's appropriate for the book, in addition to the ones you want for your own display. The Goodwill store or a recent graduate probably has cap/gown on the chance that you want a really traditional picture.

We splurged for the fancy photographer on board just after DD graduated... really, we got suckered into it (they didn't tell us how crazy expensive it was up front). Several of the images were FANTASTIC.

I know I will offend someone BUT...

"you may be a red neck if you've ever had your senior portrait taken on..."

I would guess for this to be accurate it would depend on if you try to use the ones carnival take as the senior pictures. We do a lot of photography and will end up doing our sons pics anyways. we will take his pics on our cruise not have them do it. lol.

Last year someone did a picture intense Trip Report. I think his name was Mike something or Medik or something like that. Whoever it was, they arranged for a Carnival photographer to join them in ports to take some very nice pictures. Maybe the posters name was PaulMedik. The pictures were awesome. I think most were taken in Aruba but lots were taken around the ship.

Last year someone did a picture intense Trip Report. I think his name was Mike something or Medik or something like that. Whoever it was, they arranged for a Carnival photographer to join them in ports to take some very nice pictures. Maybe the posters name was PaulMedik. The pictures were awesome. I think most were taken in Aruba but lots were taken around the ship.

That is who i was talking about paulmedik here is his review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829996

they arranged for a Carnival photographer to join them in ports to take some very nice pictures.

Some of those personal photo shoots can be quite expensive. I know that last summer we had a personal photo shoot for our family when we sailed on Holland America's Westerdam. It was a black and white session in a studio, and we were honestly willing to spend up to $800. We sat through the whole thing only to learn that the "most affordable" package would be $2,300 :(. it was very disappointing, specially since some of the photos where the absolute best we've had of our family. We declined though.

Surprisingly, on the last night of our cruise, an 8x10 of our favorite family photo was dropped off in our stateroom. We were VERY grateful because the photo was exquisite. It's actually framed in our formal dining room. :)

You might be a red neck if you've ever had your senior portrait taken on... a cruise ship in the Caribbean.

OP:

Yes, Carnival offers photo sessions and they are quite lovely and unique. You can do the photos around the ship or at a port. Be sure to register for a time slot soon after you board as they fill up. You're son is going to be the envy of every kid in his class for being such a red neck! :D

You might be a red neck if you have your senior photo taken with a sheep or cow you showed at the fairs that summer.

I didn't, but a lot of my classmates did! :cool:

OP, I love the idea of senior pictures on a cruise!

Edited by mrsd912

You might be a red neck if you have your senior photo taken with a sheep or cow you showed at the fairs that summer.

I didn't, but a lot of my classmates did! :cool:

OP, I love the idea of senior pictures on a cruise!

yeah but those classmates were smart. Those pictures also doubled for when they put the engagement announcement in the paper *LOL*

Now THAT is how you know you are a redneck!!!!! :)

Both of our boys did their senior pictures on the ship. They were already wearing a tux for formal night so they got pics done against a neutral background and did close up head shots. They turned out great. We got a package that included wallets and they were acceptable for the yearbook. Cindy

As an 18 year yearbook advisor, I would not recommend their photographers. I have had shots come out blurry. I would also not advise the tacky backgrounds of sunsets or the ships railing. Go for shots at your ports with natural backgrounds. Just my two cents.

Our DS will be getting ready to start his senior year of high school shortly after our July cruise on the Freedom. Has anyone ever had senior pictures taken on board or in port? Ports on our cruise are San Juan, PR, St. Maarten, Grand Turk and St. Kitts. Our son loves to travel, and we thought the pics might be more meaningful this way.

Great idea, and very different!!!

I appreciate all the input - does anyone have any idea of approximate cost for the photographer to follow you around in port and/or do shots around the ship?

The whole point of the option of doing the pictures during the cruise is to have something different - I don't want to do pictures in front of backdrops because I can get those done anywhere, and above all we want to avoid his picture in front of the cheesy block letters that spell out "senior"!

And I don't take any offense to the redneck comment, but trust me when I say that portraits on a cruise ship are the furthest thing away from it - I would know because I live in the Appalachian mountains (happily and by choice) and see redneck EVERY day!:D

I appreciate all the input - does anyone have any idea of approximate cost for the photographer to follow you around in port and/or do shots around the ship?

Not cheap. You can be looking at amounts measured in the thousands. Check out my post #11.

We've checked out these photographers twice, once on Royal and once on Holland. Both of them offered no "sitting fees", but where they get you is in the minimum packages that they offer. They won't allow you to buy the one photo you like. You'll need to buy a minimum number of photos and sizes.

When we asked on Royal about the personal photographer, they disclosed pricing in advance (which is why we quickly declined). But on Holland America, they said that their policy was to discuss pricing after the photo shoot, so we did it.

In all fairness, the photos were very high quality, tasteful and stunning. But the prices were prohibitively expensive. The photographer offered a $2,300 package and went down to a view only, un-retouched DVD with the proofs in a non-downloadable slide show format for $800. We were disappointed because we loved many of the photos, but not at those prices (the DVD was out of the question).

I haven't checked them out on Carnival, but I've read about similar experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I think this is a very unique and awesome idea. I just might steal it!

I just created a topic asking if anyone has photos they can share of the

Private session pics. I'm wanting to see what makes the private session pics

So amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums