Carnival Sunshine or Victory - First time cruisers

pinkmagnolia

Hi everyone! This is my first post :D

I'm in the planning stages of our first cruise. We are a family of four with twin DS10 and my head is spinning with trying to choose our cruise. We will be traveling in February 2015.

I like the Sunshine and Victory because they are both shorter (5 night) cruises and the dates work with our schedule.

The Sunshine stops at Nassau and Grand Turk - 2 full days at sea

The Victory stops at Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay - 1 full day at sea

Victory is $400 cheaper

I know my boys would love the Funship 2.0 amenities, but I like the idea of HMC. None of us have EVER been to the Caribean :eek: The Victory schedule seems to give us a better opportunity to visit lovely beaches (what we are looking for). Finally, I am a tad concerned as I easily get motion sick, so I'm thinking the extra port day might help if I'm feeling off.

Please help! is the Sunshine worth it for the updated ship and missing HMC?

We will be travelling on the Victory for the second time. We travelled with (4) 15 yr olds and a 16 yr old last Feb. Everyone had such a great time that we are going again in 2 wks. We prefer to have less days at sea and more port days. We were on an 8 day cruise one yr with 4 sea days and were a bit bored. We love being able to get off the boat. Half Moon Cay is our favorite, this will be our 4th time going there. It's a beautiful beach and very relaxing. We always book a cabana...definitely worth it. If you're prone to motion sickness, book your room on the lower floors. I always bring Bonine with us just in case.

I loved the Victory and its itinerary so much, i am doing it again this summer with a friend, who is also a cruise virgin! I want her to see how beautiful the islands are. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are two of the most beautiful places on earth!!! I know your sons would love the flowrider at grand turk!!

as for motion sickness, my husband swears by ginger root pills!!! if you get a cabin that is in the middle of the ship there is very little movement.

Thanks so much for your responses! After much back and forth between DH and I, I think we're going to do the Victory. It will be all of our first cruise, so I'm sure the novelty of exploring our first cruise ship will be super fun for everyone.

Now... a couple more questions:

1. How do I go about choosing our room? I'm interested in a balcony, so a midship balcony, as low as possible (which seems to be the Upper (6th floor) but is there a difference between rooms? DH is a pretty light sleeper and I've heard to not get a room under the dance floor :D so is there something I need to know about this area of the ship? I've seen the CC room reviews, but is there anything else I need to know?

2. A question about the Early Saver. If *any* promotion comes up between now and then, I can apply it and get the cost reduced, right? Is there any catch? Promotions that wouldn't be included?

Thanks so much ... I want to do my research to make sure we all have a fabulous time - there is just so much to learn about cruising!!!

Select a room between sleeping floors- not under a restaurant, gym or pool deck. Carnivals rates always go down on sailings and easy saver is the best way to get the best deal. Been on victory twice and had great cruises. Going on sunshine in a few weeks. The breeze is my 17 year old favorite ship and hopes that the Sunshine will top it. IMHO the Sunshine would be a better pick, but I also know that the victory won't disappoint. Have fun planning!

If anyone wants to see a quick tour of a spa balcony cabin on the sunshine go to YouTube and type in

"carnival sunshine 12017"

It's just a 90 second clip but it shows you how short the walk is from the serenity deck

Hope you all enjoy the cruise,we certainly did

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks so much for your responses! After much back and forth between DH and I, I think we're going to do the Victory. It will be all of our first cruise, so I'm sure the novelty of exploring our first cruise ship will be super fun for everyone.

Now... a couple more questions:

1. How do I go about choosing our room? I'm interested in a balcony, so a midship balcony, as low as possible (which seems to be the Upper (6th floor) but is there a difference between rooms? DH is a pretty light sleeper and I've heard to not get a room under the dance floor :D so is there something I need to know about this area of the ship? I've seen the CC room reviews, but is there anything else I need to know?

2. A question about the Early Saver. If *any* promotion comes up between now and then, I can apply it and get the cost reduced, right? Is there any catch? Promotions that wouldn't be included?

Thanks so much ... I want to do my research to make sure we all have a fabulous time - there is just so much to learn about cruising!!!

I personally think you made the right choice. I personally feel that the Sunshine would be too crowded. I have not been on the Victory yet, but have been on sister ships and have enjoyed myself. The extra stop at HMC on Victory will be a great time for your family. I brought similar-aged kids onto the Destiny (which at the time had the same amenities Victory does now) and the kids absolutely loved it.

Re the cabins, as others stated, it is better to be sandwiched between passenger decks to avoid noise. I would try to stay towards the front part of the ship, but not all the way forward. I have experienced vibration in the back half of the ship that was a little irritating, and the very back definitely feels more movement.