Pre-purchased shipboard credit question

runnergirl71

I just wanted to clarify what happens if you have unused shipboard credit that you have purchased (or had purchased for you as a gift).

I've seen that it goes back to you, but is it put to the card on your account? Or to the card that purchased it?

Just trying to get it clear in my head.

I just wanted to clarify what happens if you have unused shipboard credit that you have purchased (or had purchased for you as a gift).

I've seen that it goes back to you, but is it put to the card on your account? Or to the card that purchased it?

As long as it's a paid credit, you can get it refunded to the card you have attached to your account. If it's a complimentary credit like a HAL promo credit, it's not refundable.

If you think you will be in an excess credit situation, have the concierge or front desk pull a copy of your bill so you know where you stand.

As long as it's a paid credit, you can get it refunded to the card you have attached to your account. If it's a complimentary credit like a HAL promo credit, it's not refundable.

If you think you will be in an excess credit situation, have the concierge or front desk pull a copy of your bill so you know where you stand.

I have never been asked if I wanted it credited back to a card. In each case (more than 6) the front desk has handed me back cash, and I was happy with that. I suppose if you ask, they might be able to credit it back to a card.

Awesome! Thanks! I don't know that I'll need a lot - mostly just drinks as my "excursions" are going to be races covered in my total fee (cruise and group) - although it seems with HAL you pay for those in advance. But I think it would be nice to already have some credit on there.

I have never been asked if I wanted it credited back to a card. In each case (more than 6) the front desk has handed me back cash, and I was happy with that. I suppose if you ask, they might be able to credit it back to a card.

OK, cash works too. Granted the card thing would be easier as there would be no need to go back to guest services, but that's a minor inconvenience. :)

That's good to know. I only knew about the credit card option... Not that we typically run a surplus.

We have always used up our on board credit. I usually ask DW to wait until a day before the cruises to buy perfume etc. I always expect to use our OBC's because is what I budgeted for.She then can use the unused OBC's to buy perfume , cosmetics or gifts for Grand-kids.

We had $92 left over on our Nov, 2012 NA cruise and since they were all promotional credits I thought they were lost. However, when our credit card statement came in that month the credit had been applied to it.

The credits were for using a future cruise deposit, Carnival stock credit and compensation for air and toilet issues on a previous cruise.

We started off with 950 dollars in credits.

Edited by sapper1