Non-Alcoholic Beverages Brought on Board

Aoumd

So my parents are about to go on their first cruise aboard Victory out of Miami tomorrow (unless you count Dad's 1960s transpacific crossing on a combination cargo/ocean liner a "cruise"). They're REALLY excited, but one issue has come up I'd like to "ask the experts" about here on CruiseCritic.

My mom called from the hotel in Miami tonight saying she has a 32 ounce bottle of soy milk she insists on bringing on board in addition to the one 750ml bottle of wine apiece, and keeping it on ice in the cabin so she can have soy milk with her coffee throughout the cruise. (She also insists on bringing her own coffee grounds and a filter with no heating coil, so she can make her own coffee using hot water delivered by room service. I figure this won't be an issue since there's no heating element.).

I recall hearing somewhere that Carnival has a policy where non-alcoholic beverages have to be in 20 ounce containers or less (but can be up to a 12-pack). I told my parents this but my mom insists on bringing the soy milk as is.

So I guess I should ask on here: can you bring a single 32-ounce bottle of a non-alcoholic beverage on board? Just wondering what I'm going to hear tomorrow from my folks.

Thanks in advance for any input!

As for coffee they can order it through room service for free any time they like (you should tip of course). They have a variety of creamers too. Sounds like she insists on having her particular creamer though. You could call carnival and ask. That's probably your best bet. I'm thinking if it's new and unopened she has a much better chance of getting it on. We had 12 packs of soda in both of our carry ons and no one asked anything or opened them up or anything. Good luck. They will love cruising. :)

As for coffee they can order it through room service for free any time they like (you should tip of course). They have a variety of creamers too. Sounds like she insists on having her particular creamer though. You could call carnival and ask. That's probably your best bet. I'm thinking if it's new and unopened she has a much better chance of getting it on. We had 12 packs of soda in both of our carry ons and no one asked anything or opened them up or anything. Good luck. They will love cruising. :)

Thanks for the input, and yes it's sealed! I agree it's easier to have the on-board coffee and that's what I do when cruising, but this is one of those morning ritual things my mom is very particular about...it's just her thing.

Edited by Aoumd

That is too large. Depending on the mood of the agents at security, it may or may not be allowed.

Tell her to go buy a few smaller containers of her soy, that way there will be no issue. Besides that, a smaller bottle will be much easier to keep in the ice bucket :cool:

I agree, she should probably get some smaller bottles just to be safe. But, carnival's policy is actually unclear as to how it has to be packaged. However, if she has a documented dairy allergy or sensitivity, I would think it would fall under medical and they would have to let her bring it on board, unless they have it on board to serve anyway (which, I'm betting they probably do if she called and asked).

That is too large. Depending on the mood of the agents at security, it may or may not be allowed.

Tell her to go buy a few smaller containers of her soy, that way there will be no issue. Besides that, a smaller bottle will be much easier to keep in the ice bucket :cool:

Thanks, I told her she'd be better off with the smaller bottles, she insisted on the large bottle since it's the only size she can buy in the rural area she flew in from (packed the bottle in checked baggage) and doesn't want to make any pit stops on her direct cab ride from the airport hotel to the ship tomorrow. Frankly I agree with you on the smaller bottles (and ease of keeping them cold!) but I'm not there to make that decision.

I agree, she should probably get some smaller bottles just to be safe. But, carnival's policy is actually unclear as to how it has to be packaged. However, if she has a documented dairy allergy or sensitivity, I would think it would fall under medical and they would have to let her bring it on board, unless they have it on board to serve anyway (which, I'm betting they probably do if she called and asked).

Thanks, and that's one of the reasons why I posted - the policy is vague.

Thanks, I told her she'd be better off with the smaller bottles, she insisted on the large bottle since it's the only size she can buy in the rural area she flew in from (packed the bottle in checked baggage) and doesn't want to make any pit stops on her direct cab ride from the airport hotel to the ship tomorrow. Frankly I agree with you on the smaller bottles (and ease of keeping them cold!) but I'm not there to make that decision.

So stop worring about it. you have told her, she has decided to take her chances. She probably has a 50/50 chance of getting to keep it.

So stop worring about it. you have told her, she has decided to take her chances. She probably has a 50/50 chance of getting to keep it.

I'm not worried personally, I'm posting out of curiosity more than anything else. But I agree...it's small beans in light of an entire cruise.